Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from shooting

Options
  • 10-06-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I have been a member sice 2005 and have only posted 129 posts in all this time. I regularly watch the threads but rarely participate. The last time I posted, in January of 2010, I made one post(to the best of my recollection-I can not see the thread to confirm). I was banned for a month by Sparks for Trolling, see below:

You have received an infraction at boards.ie
    Dear tireur,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Breach of Peace
    Trolling. Post deleted. One-month ban.

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63877905
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    the best approach from a PR standpoint is the ISSF side because of the work done over the past decade on PR by the NTSA and its clubs. And if you want to roll back a law, PR's got a large part to play. And after it gets fixed, the good PR that ISSF shooting enjoys is still going to be an asset.
    Would that be the work done by the Olympic Coaches Association which was so effective in giving the Government it's major argument concerning pistols, i.e.that no one in Ireland had any need for a pistol other than those used in Olympic/ISSF competitions?
    All the best,
    boards.ie

You may wonder how such a post is trolling, I did, but Sparks is sensitive to this particular issue. Whatever, I did not feel the need to post again until this week, on the 8/6/2011 when I sent a PM to Sparks as the one month ban had not been lifted. He replied as follows:

Re: Banned from Shooting
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tireur
    Hi Sparks,
    As the month has now passed, can you reinstate me please?
    Hi tireur,
    As you know from a PM you would have received from IRLConor, you were permanently banned from the Shooting forum two weeks after the one month ban began because you were using multiple accounts (sickasmicke and DMZ) to get around the one month ban.

This was a total mystery to me as I had never received any ban from IRLconnor and I certainly was not posting as anyone else.

I have sent 3 PMs querying this culminating in one today as follows:

Re: Banned from Shooting
    You did not reply to my last PM's Sparks. I again repeat that I did not receive any notice/ban from IRL connor and I was not using multiple ids. I have not felt the need to post since you banned me for a month because of "trolling". Anyone looking coldly at my post, which you rapidly removed, would not understand why you reached this conclusion as you are the only one who is sensitive about the "Olympic Coaches Association" Recent events have led me to believe that I can add to the debate you are having with Bananaman, for reasons you will appreciate hence I would like you to review the records to ascertain how wrong your accusation of multiple ids was. If you are not willing to do this then I will request a review by a neutral party.

I am keen to post in an ongoing thread to which I may be able to add some value and I am dissappointed that I have received no response since Wednesday 8th June. Sparks may be away or not on line so I would appreciate a Cmod or similar looking at this. If I was sent a permanent ban note, then you should have a record. You should also have some reason or evidence to support this ban. As I was not using duplicate IDs. I suspect that this does not exist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tireur was banned by Conor because his account matched two others (which is explicitly banned in the Shooting forum charter). Subsequent checks by Conor have shown that his account matches two further accounts, for a total of five, several of which were in use to circumvent bans in various forums. All of which was forwarded on the Admins for further action.

This had nothing to do with the original one-month ban, which would have expired automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭tireur

This gets more mysterious. You are just repeating what you have previously said. Please produce the evidence to back up your statements. I received no ban PM from Irlconnor, and I was not posting as anyone else.

As Sparks has reiterated his original position, and, unusually for this forum, we are talking about things that can be researched, as opposed to opinions, can an ADMIN, now intervene and request the records ,etc., to ascertain what happened here?

Is there a reason that no one has yet picked up this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm waiting on an admin to come by (I was told there will be one). I expect it'll happen shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I am looking into this.

tireur wrote: »
    As Sparks has reiterated his original position, and, unusually for this forum, we are talking about things that can be researched, as opposed to opinions, can an ADMIN, now intervene and request the records ,etc., to ascertain what happened here?

What happened here appears to be:

Whenever your account is banned, another account pops up posting from the same IP address, posting similar content.

From this, and from reading the posts, the history, and the dates, I have reason to believe you are using alt accounts to evade any forum ban you receive, and so I see no reason to overturn your forum ban.

I ask you to look deeper Silverfish. I do not believe that Tireur was ever banned. I think that Sparks has confused me with another poster. He is not fond of either of us as we usually support each other in arguing with Sparks. I do know that he was Sikasmicke and may also have been DMZ but I was not either of these. I was posting in the thread before the two accounts mentioned were banned and you will see that the IP addresses were different between Tireur and the other two.as there were two of us, one in North Dublin and one in Wicklow who were both arguing with Sparks. The indications you saw were, I suspect , from the Sikasmicke account, not from mine. You may have arrived at the same conclusions as Sparks but for the same wrong reasons. One key question, was the IP adrress of me, Tireur, the same as the other two accounts? It can not have been as I am Tireur and Sikasmicke is some one else.

I ask you to look deeper Silverfish. I do not believe that Tireur was ever banned.

Ever? You are here disputing a ban made in January 2010, are you not?

I think that Sparks has confused me with another poster. He is not fond of either of us as we usually support each other in arguing with Sparks. I do know that he was Sikasmicke and may also have been DMZ but I was not either of these. I was posting in the thread before the two accounts mentioned were banned and you will see that the IP addresses were different between Tireur and the other two.as there were two of us, one in North Dublin and one in Wicklow who were both arguing with Sparks. The indications you saw were, I suspect , from the Sikasmicke account, not from mine. You may have arrived at the same conclusions as Sparks but for the same wrong reasons. One key question, was the IP adrress of me, Tireur, the same as the other two accounts? It can not have been as I am Tireur and Sikasmicke is some one else.

I didn't mention either of those accounts.

To be more explicit, I was banned for a month in Jan 2010 and I did not dispute this ban. What I am disputing is that I was banned permanently without notice or justification. This notice issue was one of the things I asked to be checked. You did not mention those two accounts but Sparks did,specifically when he replied to my first query about the ban. As I have indicated above, I knew who sikasmicke was and was posting in cooperation with him. Cooperative posting is not duplicate posting which is why I asked that the IP for me was compared with the ip for the other people who Sparks thought I was. If you can see these addresses you will know that I was not duplicate posting

• Advertisement

I have checked the IP addresses, and I believe you were duplicate posting, as I sitebanned one of the other accounts myself.

I do not know why you did not receive a pm notifying you of your permanent ban, and I'm afraid I am unable to answer that.

Advertisement