Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving a horse and cart across a residential green

• 10-06-2011 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

What is the legal situation with driving a horse and cart across a residential green and parkland? There are two men doing this where I live for the last hour or so and they are tearing the place up.

An animal or person could easily get hurt. This is a popular green space and is incredibly busy with kids and dogwalkers. I'm dreading a dog attacking the horse and either hurting it or getting a bad kick. Or (not to sound like Helen Lovehoy but...) even a kid getting hurt as plenty of families and groups of kids walk and cycle around here.

Would it be worth giving the guards a call or is this one of those cases where the law hasn't been changed since 18-0-whatever and they are within their legal rights? Just to clarify, this isn't responsible horseriders on a stroll, they are zooming about even having the horse go up and down short-steepish slopes that look wrong for a horse which is pulling a cart and two men to be running on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭francis1978

Perhaps its just members of the travelling community or similar engaging in some cultural expression. Stand back and enjoy the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

If it is a situation where people could get hurt then i would call the guards and tell them that.
    the guards around where I live are fairly lively to respond to anything wreckless that may cause an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I suppose if we went and examined the law they are fully entitled to be there, back before cars were even invented. Does't make it safe though

The boyos are probably training for a sulky race. If this is their new spot they'll be there for the summer, not just today

Call the local station but ask for the sergeant, I've a feeling a garda won't know what to do here or will be reluctant to get involved
    A sergeant should be experienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Thanks guys, they left not too long after I posted the question. If they come back I'll definitely call the guards right off. I only hope that the fact that an awful lot of people walk their dogs off-lead around here, including lots of very big dogs, GSDs, Bull Mastiffs, Rotties, etc, will put them off.

Advertisement