Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Speed

• 10-06-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Eircom have told me that they can give me 5MB on my line in Tallaght, now i'like to know if I will really get this speed, I'd like to know what speeds others are receiving from Eircom, please, I'm about 3.5K from their exchange. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,449 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

And line stats first as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 N0mz

Firstly i presume you mean a 5Mb connection rather than '5MB'... That considered, all of eircoms connections are "UP TO 5, 8, 24Mb/s", which means you'll only get half of the speed advertised (no matter how close you are to their servers). So, in your case, you will only get 2.5Mb/s... hopefully :/ hope that clears that up for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

N0mz wrote: »
    Firstly i presume you mean a 5Mb connection rather than '5MB'... That considered, all of eircoms connections are "UP TO 5, 8, 24Mb/s", which means you'll only get half of the speed advertised (no matter how close you are to their servers). So, in your case, you will only get 2.5Mb/s... hopefully :/ hope that clears that up for you :)
    I've never come across this before. You get about 83% of your download speed from eircom if you get the full speed of whatever eircom offer. The other 17% goes to extra data that's sent alongside your ordinary data to allow your data be sent to the right places etc etc.

Not everyone gets the full 8 mbps speeds but a fair number do. They'll get download speeds of nearly 7 mbps. In this case, they have already said that they'll only deliver 5mbps out of the possible 8 because the line is a couple of miles long. So the OP should expect about 4 to 4.5 mbps if he does a speedtest, not 2.5 mbps...

There is a chance that 5 mbps will be too much and speed could be lowered to 4 mbps but that would mean he'd still get about 3.5 mbps (about 430KB/s if you're downloading a file).

In other words, It won't be as bad as 2.5 mbps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 foxglo

Appreciated replies - thank you everyone.

Thanks for all that information so there's a good chance I might get a better speed then presently with 3, but am tied into their contract for a little longer.

(New to the board so still finding my way around, any it's so helpful in many ways)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 foxglo

Just if anyone is interested, I signed up with Eircom and am getting download speed of approx 4.50mb, so I am happy with that. Thanks for much help on Boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

i was on the eircom 7mb dsl for 2 or 3 years and always got that or over.

Advertisement