Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange question perhaps... photo or mirror? Which one shows the true image?

• 10-06-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I, like many others, despise myself in photos. I literally feel like puking. lol! But when I look in the mirror, often I think I look okay or, dare I say it, good! Why is that? More importantly, which is the better and truer image? The fat f*ck in the photos (nice alliteration eh?) or the not-too-bad-at-all woman in the mirror?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you may find that the lighting when you look in a mirror is more flattering than in a photo, especially if there's a flash used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

When you look into a mirror you are somewhat inhibited as to what you can see; restrictions because your eyes are limited to where they can be positioned in relation to the image they can see - The 2d plane of the mirror - the limited lighting - etc. When somebody else takes a photo of you, it could be from any angle, with any facial expression going on, looking at parts of you that you are not used to looking at.
    In other words - the mirror is a more controlled scenario. The other is less controlled (from your own POV).
    I guess its somewhat akin to hearing your own voice on a recording. No matter how often you hear it, unless what you do for a living involves recording your own voice, it always sounds strange and you question 'is that what I sound like?'.
    So - they both show the same image, from a different POV. To answer the question.

Possibly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

There is also this.. a mirror shows you a flat reflection of what's in front of it. (and usually does have very flattering lights right around it as someone mentioned.) Because it's flat.. it's not distorted.
    Camera lenses distort a photo.
    If you look at a door-frame in a mirror.. it will still be straight lines up & down (if the mirror is flat)
    If you look at them in a photograph, they will generally be curved. (unless they are in exactly the dead centre of the shot where the lens has the least distortion.)
    A lens "bends" light as it goes through.. the further towards the edge of the lens you get, the more the light gets bent. Image sensors are generally flat, so the light that hits them is not going to be exactly as it would be in the "real world" except in size.

So.. a lens, by default, gives you a similar effect to a mirror you'd find in a "hall of mirrors".. that can make you look short & fat, or make you look tall & thin.. or make you look like some weird accordian creature.

If you've got Photoshop or Lightroom, you can compensate for that lens distortion to some degree. (probably in many other packages as well.. I just know it's in those.) or you can get a nice tilt & shift lens setup.. and spend hours getting it set up exactly right before shooting a photo of yourself.

Short answer: the mirror is technically more accurate than the photo. (unless you count the fact that everything is backwards left-to-right in the mirror against it..then it's probably a tie.) ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Heebie wrote: »
    unless you count the fact that everything is backwards left-to-right in the mirror against it.
    it's not. your left hand is on the left in the image in a mirror.
    if you stand looking into a mirror holding a book up, the text is not backwards - if you could see the text from where you're standing (e.g. if it was printed on clear plastic), the text would appear exactly the same as it does in the mirror.

it's not the mirror's fault, it's because you have the book turned around 180 degrees from the way you would usually view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i've often pondered that question too! (I look bad in RL but worse in a photo )
    i know this very good looking girl, but it's a struggle to get a good shot of her - i have noticed that she's very self conscious and uncomfortable, any time a camera is produced. She wont/cant pose it's either, a strange one - she's very attractive and nice looking in RL but always looks the opposite almost in a photograph.
    On the other hand theres a guy in work who just seems to be very photogenic no matter whats going on, he always seems to come out grand in photographs! :) in RL he's no oil painting :confused:
    so it is a strange one.
    It's probably down to a multitude of factors - from lighting to natural charisma/personality to colouring and facial lines/angles etc.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Short answer: the mirror is technically more accurate than the photo. (unless you count the fact that everything is backwards left-to-right in the mirror against it..then it's probably a tie.) ;)

Not necessarily -

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dc/mirrors/mirror-images-are-there-really-skinny-mirrors-and-fat-mirrors-131365

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As images go, they are both true. They will obey the laws of physics. How accurately they reproduce the appearance of the original item will depend on the shape and characteristics of the lens and mirror being compared and the position of the observer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Opposite sides of the face are not symmetrical. When you look in the mirror, you cannot really notice this asymmetry. This imbalance becomes very clear to see when you look at yourself in a photograph because the photo shows the opposite of a mirror. Try getting a photo of yourself and flip it over to see what the mirror sees......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The text is backwards left-to-right in the mirror. (I just stood in front of one, just to be sure.. it is not readable.. unless you can read backwards. [which I can.. along with reading upside-down, and upside-down and backwards.. I can also write upside-down and backwards, although not particularly well.) The whole mirror image thing is why the word "Ambulance" is written backwards on the fronts of ambulances.. so that when seen in a rear-view mirror... it is immediately readable.
    it's not. your left hand is on the left in the image in a mirror.
    if you stand looking into a mirror holding a book up, the text is not backwards - if you could see the text from where you're standing (e.g. if it was printed on clear plastic), the text would appear exactly the same as it does in the mirror.

it's not the mirror's fault, it's because you have the book turned around 180 degrees from the way you would usually view it.

The text is backwards left-to-right in the mirror.
    but you're holding the book rotated 180 degrees from the way you would read it. *you* have rotated the text, not the mirror.
    the left hand side of the text in the book - e.g. the side of the book in your left hand - is on the left in the mirror.

• Advertisement

here's an experiment to try - print or write some text out on a clear piece of acetate. hold it in front of your face the way you would read it, and stand in front of a mirror and note which way the text reads in the mirror.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Or if you were to read from the back side of a sheet of paper held up to a light.
    Nothing about the sheet has been inverted, you've just turned it around.

Advertisement