Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is project maths?

• 10-06-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

people are saying they made this paper hard to make it look good. but what is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

The new maths course. Meant to make HL maths appear more appealing to students and have more students doing the HL paper.

Because Projects Maths is meant to be more student friendly, the grades should go up. In order for the SEC to be sure of that, some people believe that they made the papers harder this year so that no matter how hard the papers are, the grades next year will be better than the grades this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

The exam looks like something from primary school. It has squares for doing the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aaron547

Aoifums wrote: »
    The new maths course. Meant to make HL maths appear more appealing to students and have more students doing the HL paper.

oh i hate the department of education

Why?
    Bar the obvious, but why now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Aoifums wrote: »
    they made the papers harder this year so that no matter how hard the papers are, the grades next year will be better than the grades this year.

That's despicable.

• Advertisement

That's despicable.

It's a theory that has been floating around for a while. But the papers today appear to back it up. It's a theory, it hasn't been proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

But the project maths people seem to be saying that their P1 was hard too, which doesn't really back up the conspiracy theory! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 robertc

I did project maths p1 today and it was not nice either. So dont know how much that proves your theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Honors maths lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

PJelly wrote: »
    Honors maths lite.

You joking? Our paper was very hard today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

According to the chap on 2fm they were giving out 25 marks for a fuppin quadratic equation on the Project Maths exam today.

AdamD wrote: »
    You joking? Our paper was very hard today
    And our paper was a walk in the park. Wasn't just on the radio or anything.
    /sarcasm

And our paper was a walk in the park. Wasn't just on the radio or anything.
    /sarcasm

You're making it out as if ours was any easier. Of course yours was on the radio, A LOT more people did it.

AdamD wrote: »
    You're making it out as if ours was any easier. Of course yours was on the radio, A LOT more people did it.
    I know I'm being mad snarky, sorry.
    I've looked through your paper, and to be honest to me it seemed way easier. I would have much preferred something in that vein.
    Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vDarr

But the project maths people seem to be saying that their P1 was hard too, which doesn't really back up the conspiracy theory! :)

In comparison to the honors paper it wasn't hard.
    Anyone sitting the normal honors would pick it any day over their own.

But because they didn't know what to expect, some people didn't do as well as they thought they would.

vDarr wrote: »
    In comparison to the honors paper it wasn't hard.
    Anyone sitting the normal honors would pick it any day over their own.

But because they didn't know what to expect, some people didn't do as well as they thought they would.

Highly doubt that. We had 1 sample paper 1 to go off and it didnt even resemble the paper we got today.

Thankfully, it's horrible to think about. And I didn't know how good/bad the PM paper was, all I heard about was how awful the normal HL one was.

Also: Our questions 6/7/8 were the exact same as yours. We had to do 2 of them and every other question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The reality is that the normal HL one will have to be balanced ... either PII will be much more straightforward, or the marking scheme will be adjusted.

There won't be a huge drop in the number getting each grade this year.

And remember, it's not some crowd of androids who correct your papers, it's a few hundred of your own teachers who correct them, and who attend the marking conferences and who have an input on how it will be marked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

this idea people have about the project maths paper today being much easier than the old course is ridiculous. for the past two years honours and ordinary level students in my year have been taught maths in an almost completely different way to those doing the old course. i have no experience with the old course but there was a reason for project maths - BECAUSE THE OLD COURSE WAS TOO HARD AND TAUGHT IN A WAY THAT DID NOT RELATE TO TRUE LIFE. of course those who have done the old course have been taught harder questions and would see project as being easy, but those of us who have been taught project maths, NOT THE OLD COURSE(!!!!!) would STILL find these questions difficult as, and i could get shot for this, we just would not be used to hard questions and would not be able to do them! now, could people PLEEEEEEEEASE stop saying that theres some conspriacy theory going on, many of the girls in my year left the exam extremely upset as did many other students all over the country so STOP using project maths as an excuse, im all for blaming those who set the papers as all papers were unfair! i mean, we were given sample papers by the department and they were nothing like what came up today, no matter what the fecker on countdown to 806 was saying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 F1f1

I know I'm being mad snarky, sorry.
    I've looked through your paper, and to be honest to me it seemed way easier. I would have much preferred something in that vein.
    Just my opinion.
    Is the project maths paper online somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

F1f1 wrote: »
    Is the project maths paper online somewhere?

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC003GLP130EV.pdf

EDIT : Oh and you know the way some of the questions or identical to the normal maths paper?
    Do you answer it differently or something? Just confused me when looking at the paper! :)

EDIT : Oh and you know the way some of the questions or identical to the normal maths paper?
    Do you answer it differently or something? Just confused me when looking at the paper! :)[/QUOTE]

no, you answer totally the same way for q that are the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Biscuits.

Project maths is a slut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nightdream

It's unfair how people are saying project maths is easy because it is not!!!
    It is only easy if you understand the question or else it would be really hard!!!! If you can't understand what the question is asking then how are we going to answer? Plus it was nothing like the sample paper we got:|
    We dont have enough resources to actually study for the questions.... And this makes project maths harder for us....

And slot of people cried after the exam today in my school too:/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Biscuits.

nightdream wrote: »
    It's unfair how people are saying project maths is easy because it is not!!!
    It is only easy if you understand the question or else it would be really hard!!!! If you can't understand what the question is asking then how are we going to answer? Plus it was nothing like the sample paper we got:|
    We dont have enough resources to actually study for the questions.... And this makes project maths harder for us....

And slot of people cried after the exam today in my school too:/

I stuck to sample papers religiously....they were lies. Pure lies.

The sample papers were the only resource we had and it was useless.

I could have get an A no problem if it's like the sample paper!!!! But it was nothing like it and remember the mock? It was useless either!

did anybody else get that 2nd mock around easter? we got p1 and p2 as a test anyways... was SO much bloody easier than today and we thought we were all sorted.. not sure if that one came from the department or the NCCA though..

our teacher did say not to trust non department samples but if they want project maths to do well whhhhhyyyyyy didnt the SEC put together PROPER papers for us?!?!

the old course students think they have a hard time.. try not having material to learn/study from!!!

MariaBlaah wrote: »
    did anybody else get that 2nd mock around easter? we got p1 and p2 as a test anyways... was SO much bloody easier than today and we thought we were all sorted.. not sure if that one came from the department or the NCCA though..

our teacher did say not to trust non department samples but if they want project maths to do well whhhhhyyyyyy didnt the SEC put together PROPER papers for us?!?!

the old course students think they have a hard time.. try not having material to learn/study from!!!

Nope, didn't get one at all:D I thought I was sorted with the samples, well inwas wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Having looked at that project maths paper I weep tears of pity for anyone planning on doing engineering or any of the mathematical focused sciences in college.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement