Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is project maths?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

What I don't understand is that in all the messing around with maths' syllabi, they never seem to consider the jump from secondary to college level.

My younger sister did HL maths last year (not the PM course), and went into engineering. She's very good at maths. Yet...roll on her first year maths/physics/chemistry exams and she was absolutely freaking out for the simple reason that she didn't know any of the formulae! Every formula she needed had always been given to her for the LC - in a formula book. Bu they don't do that in first year in college in most subjects....they expect you to know the stuff. Her workload was huge as a result.

Again, from an engineering point of view - first and second year are very heavy on matrices and vectors, yet they've left them off the PM course. Matrices (as I understand) feature very,very heavily in IT based courses (I'm open to correction on that). Why are they being left out?

I don't know whether the PM course is easier or harder than the old course. It's certainly different, and on the surface, appears easier. My biggest question, though, would be regarding the jump from second level to third level, which is being completely ignored while they revise all these courses. It's getting bigger and bigger every year, increasing the workload of the college courses, and as a result, the students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

I did the project maths honours maths paper today and found it a walk in the park! Some of you are saying that it wasn't like the sample papers but it doesn't have to be like it. If it was like it you would've had all the answers before you went in. Everything that came up was in the book anyway if you bothered to look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What book? We only got a book about 2 months ago, for a 2 year course.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

I did the project maths honours maths paper today and found it a walk in the park! Some of you are saying that it wasn't like the sample papers but it doesn't have to be like it. If it was like it you would've had all the answers before you went in. Everything that came up was in the book anyway if you bothered to look at it

Get out...............................NOW

AdamD wrote: »
    What book? We only got a book about 2 months ago, for a 2 year course.

The book was available for longer than 2 months, it's not the Departments fault you didn't buy it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nightdream

There is a book for all the paper 2 stuffs but paper 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It is the departments fault that we had one sample paper. ONE.
    And a book that was only available for a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

Was your leaving cert exam paper titled Mathematics or was it titled Project maths ?
    If you pass will your qualification be in Mathematics or Project maths?

Have you looked at the book?:rolleyes:
    I have the contents page open here in front of me, there is no mention of financial maths, contexts and applications or anything on paper 1, new or old course.

• Advertisement

Financial maths are in the tables book. It practically holds your hand, the formula is so clear

Financial maths are in the tables book. It practically holds your hand, the formula is so clear

Yes, but you said everything on the paper today is in that book Active Maths,it's not though is it?
    You never mentioned the tables book. Nothing on the paper today is covered in the book you said "everything" is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This has strayed a looooong way from the original question!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement