Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

• 07-06-2011 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Europe Topic 3: The Jarrow March will be coming up in the Europe topic, Stalin and the show trials if your not to keen on Britain:

Topic 6: I'm Praying that either Montgomery or Vietnam appear.

Ireland Topic 3: Cosgraves government, Belfast bombings, and it is quite possible since we are on the verge of another Eucharistic visit next year that a question on the congress could appear. But in regards the Eucharistic congress question I would steer well clear unless you have an thorough knowledge and passion for it its a real ball buster!

Case studies: Coleraine controversy has the best odds in my books. I would look over Suningdale before the Apprentice Boys, I seriously doubt that the Apprentice boys would come up.

What is your predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

USA: Collapse of consensus, MBB, economic recession
    Europe: Hitler's consolidation of power, anti-semetism, propaganda and/or terror, Stalin's domestic policy
    Ireland topic 3: Belfast, JJ McElligott, compare FF government to Cumann na nGaedhael government, treaty... ehm. Really not sure about Ireland.

Document. I have no idea why everyone's convinced it's Coleraine?! :confused: Was it tipped somewhere or what?
    Studying Coleraine and the Apprentice Boys equally and then skimming over Sunningdale just on the off-chance it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Idealy:

Irish - treaty, CnG VS FF

Europe - Hitler, Fascism

America - Bus boycott, cival rights

Otherwise its going to be a rough exam

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

What i was told to look over:
    Irish:Fianna Fail 1932-1939, Split in Sinn Fein, Treaty, FF v CnG
    European:Hitlers foreign policy, rise of facism
    American:Trumans presidency, Civil Rights, Vietnam

What i would like to come up:
    Irish:All of above
    European:Hitlers foreign policy
    American:Civil Rights, US Foreign Policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ezkimosrawk

We were told different things still:
    Europe (NSIT) Eastern Question, The Kaiser's Naval Policy.
    Ireland (1870-1914) 1885-86 General Elections, Always something on Ulster.
    Case Study : Almost certaintly Coleraine.
    Europe D&D : Jarrow March, Hitler's Foreign Policy, Origin of Fascism Italy+Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Am I guaranteed some sort of question if I know Irish history 1912 - Civil War..? As in one question to fall between those confines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I'm dreading the essay on the pursuit of soveriengty and impact of partition the most. Thinking of just doing the Belfast bombings, treaty negoiations/debates and the Easter rising. The rest can feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

This is a thread for people doing hiher level history to ask for advice, give tips and post links to helpful websites! I would love to see ssay plans up here for wednesday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frenchy1992

This is going to be some rough exam..

Anyway, what I've prepared :

European topic 3:

-Hitler's foreign policies
    -Rise of Fascism
    -Inter-war years + Jarrow

Irish topic (pursuit of sovereignty + impact of partition)

-Economic + Social policies of cumann na nGaedheal
    -Eco. + Social policies of Fianna Fail
    -Anglo-Irish treaty
    -Belfast during the war.

American topic :
    -Detente (1972-1989)
    -Vietnam
    -Montgomery Bus boycott

And for the case study I've focused on Coleraine mainly even though I kinda know the apprentice boys !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

Does anyone have an essay plan for Decline of Cold War certainties? Baaadly stuck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

If bus boycott doesn't come up... I am literally not going to get anything CLOSE to full marks in any other essay....
    It's the only one that I ever remember...

I could study this subject for another 2 years and still never be prepared enough for it, so, basically it's being counted as my backup subject. I really can't start fretting about it, because I know it's by FAR my worst subject...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

the only section im properly worried about is ireland we did it so late in the year that i left it too late to really get to grips with it now relying on north and south during war and social and economic policies of cumann na ngaedhael.. I really hope the growth and origins of fascism doesn't come up... what a terrible question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

TheRepeat wrote: »
    Does anyone have an essay plan for Decline of Cold War certainties? Baaadly stuck :(
    Not an essay plan but this might help -

http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-handouts

Click on 'USA' and then on 'Foreign Policy Part 2' - you will find some stuff at the bottom

Also -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-powerpoints/usa-and-the-wider-world/

view the 'Foreign Policy' slideshow and there is stuff in the second half of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

If the MBB does come up will it be a question like
    What impact did the Montgomery Bus Boycott, 1956, have on the civil rights movement in the United States?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 F1f1

Is anyone else doin topic 3 on Ireland, 1949-1989? No one seems to be doing it!

Not an essay plan but this might help -

http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-handouts

Click on 'USA' and then on 'Foreign Policy Part 2' - you will find some stuff at the bottom

Also -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-powerpoints/usa-and-the-wider-world/

view the 'Foreign Policy' slideshow and there is stuff in the second half of it.
    Thanks very much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

i feel so over prepared :eek:
    I really only want 3 things to come up!
    1.Hitlers Foreign Policy
    2.Montgomery Bus Boycott
    3.Fianna Fail 1932-1939

and Coleraine :D

I have done:
    1.CnG and FF Foreign Policies comparison
    2.CnG and FF Economic Policies comparison
    3.Sinn Fein 1918 General Election
    4.Fianna Fail 1932-1939
    5.Rise of Sinn Fein
    6.Anglo Irish Treaty 1921
    7.FF foreign Policies
    8.FF Economic Policies
    9.Hitlers Foreign Policy
    10.Hitlers Economic Policy
    11.Lenin and Stalins contribution to Communism
    12.How propaganda and terror was used to maintain communism
    13.Hitler and the Nazis 1933
    14.Stalins Economic Policy
    15.Hitler as ruler of Germany
    16. Anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany
    17.Italy before WW1
    18.Civil Rights movement
    19.Collapse of consensus
    20.LBJ and Vietnam
    21.US Foreign Policy

Lexii307 wrote: »
    i feel so over prepared :eek:
    I really only want 3 things to come up!
    1.Hitlers Foreign Policy
    2.Montgomery Bus Boycott
    3.Fianna Fail 1932-1939

and Coleraine :D

I have done:
    1.CnG and FF Foreign Policies comparison
    2.CnG and FF Economic Policies comparison
    3.Sinn Fein 1918 General Election
    4.Fianna Fail 1932-1939
    5.Rise of Sinn Fein
    6.Anglo Irish Treaty 1921
    7.FF foreign Policies
    8.FF Economic Policies
    9.Hitlers Foreign Policy
    10.Hitlers Economic Policy
    11.Lenin and Stalins contribution to Communism
    12.How propaganda and terror was used to maintain communism
    13.Hitler and the Nazis 1933
    14.Stalins Economic Policy
    15.Hitler as ruler of Germany
    16. Anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany
    17.Italy before WW1
    18.Civil Rights movement
    19.Collapse of consensus
    20.LBJ and Vietnam
    21.US Foreign Policy
    I have near enough the same covered.. Still feel panicked though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

People - do not ignore the Apprentice Boys or Sunningdale - do contextualisation to cover your rear end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

Thought I was going to be able to get away with only doing bare minimum for History but after maths today it looks like I'm going to be cramming all weekend :confused::eek: disaster.

I know communism and facism
    For Ireland I know cumman na g but did awful in it in the pres
    America is a disaster. I don't even know where to start :(
    and colraine better come up :confused:
    I hate history.
    Love listening in class but the exam is a joke. Its a hundred times harder than almost any other subject. I think you should get double points or something for it. Compared to like Home Ec or Biology where literally learning off gets you marks. Its ridiculous the difference between subjects :/

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Double points is a bit excessive(very excessive actually). I think most of us would be happy with 20 minutes extra, but as it is if you know your stuff and the right questions come up i think its more than doable to get it all done in time... i think people prepare essays that are too long, if you have a 3 and a half page essay and its quality then you're sorted but some people try and write 4 and 5 pages. That for me is not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

i have 4 days to do all of my history & art history ,don't know how i'm going to do it,but i have to.

what i hope to do is :
    IRISH:
    Treaty
    Belfast
    CnG & FF policies
    Civil War & War of Independence

EUROPEAN
    Rise of fascism
    Hitler's foreign policy
    Nazi state
    Hitler's rise to power
    Anti Semitism & Holocaust
    Jarrow March

USA
    MBB & Civil Rights
    Vietnam
    Nixon
    Truman
    McCarthyism

NORTHERN IRELAND
    Focusing on Colerine
    Apprentice Boys not learning as much as for Colerine
    Sunningdale -bare minimum,just basic idea of it

Do you think it's enough? Or if you have any tips what else can i learn,or what can i do instead of something from the list? Thankies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Looking at this it seems no one really does the book with Bismarck and the irish book with the GAA and stuff. Anyone here do it?

i have a theory, that every year a question comes up from the culture/religion setion, or the last section as i call it, in every topic? which is a nice thought as this section only has roughly 3/4 chapters in it? what you guys reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Double points is a bit excessive(very excessive actually). I think most of us would be happy with 20 minutes extra, but as it is if you know your stuff and the right questions come up i think its more than doable to get it all done in time... i think people prepare essays that are too long, if you have a 3 and a half page essay and its quality then you're sorted but some people try and write 4 and 5 pages. That for me is not possible.

I always do 5 pages per essay. Just need to practice writing faster. Can't see you getting 60/60 with 3 and a half pages.

C__ wrote: »
    Looking at this it seems no one really does the book with Bismarck and the irish book with the GAA and stuff. Anyone here do it?

i do the nation states book :) hoping for an essay on technology of warfare, causes of ww1 or wilfred owen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

I'm doing for Irish History:
    treaty
    civil war
    Eucharistic Congress
    North and South during the war.

I'm leaving out all the governments and their policies? Would I be safe with that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

Anybody hoping for a nice question on Stalin? I am, if I see his economy I will be beaming at the page :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

bradleyboy wrote: »
    i do the nation states book :) hoping for an essay on technology of warfare, causes of ww1 or wilfred owen?

Wtf?????
    I have never even heard of these essays. We just covered the Case studies cause we are "guaranteed" a question on them.
    But id like a question on any of the 3 case studies or anti semitisim or I am f*cked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

1916 -military failure
    Rise of sinn fein and 1918
    Anglo Irish T 1921
    CNG VS FF economic policies
    CnG - Challenges
    Compare North and south during ww2
    Belfast

Stalin show trials
    Oirgins of fascism
    Rise of hitler, hitlers - how he estab a totalitarian state, anti semtism, foreign policy
    rise of mussolini

Vietnam
    containment
    Domestic factors
    detente 72-89
    troubled affleunce
    impact of bus boycott on civil rights
    collapse of consensus

coleraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Is anyone else a littl worried with the timing in the History exam? 40 per essay seems very little and time seems to fly bye in that exam centre, especially if your writing about something you don't know to well and have to think alot more to remember the stuff

Advertisement