Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    The worst history exam I ever sat in my life

So disappointed.. horrendous paper :( cant stop crying....
    Try not to panic.. That was me last year, I cried for this entire evening and I came out with a C1.. You never do as bad as you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

So mad at myself, I read one of the questions wrong and wrote a completely wrong essay.. In europe Topic 4 I asnwered the first question.. I cant remember it exactly but it was something about 'Soviet union control on Eastern European Countries'.. I answered about Literatur and Social Criticism in the East.

I saw Soviet Union.. And EASTern and jumped to conclusions.. Didnt even see the Vatican Council question and i could have answered that :(
    So annoyed at myself, came out crying once my teacher pointed out my error.. She said I'll still get some marks as I focused my answer on how the Soviet Union controlled the literature that was published.. But i think she was just trying to make me feel better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

I was feicing delighted! I was in bits going in, i got it into my head twud be horrible! But once I saw Stalin i calmed down :)
    I did;
    Lenin/Stalin
    DeValera
    Soviets in the East :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

The timing in the History exam was frail enough without them having to throw in an hour-long documents question...plus it was only 2 hours 50 minutes.....I had 2 and a half hours for my Ordinary Irish exam, wrote five pages and finished an hour early...history I had to write over 12 pages FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

TheRepeat wrote: »
    Try not to panic.. That was me last year, I cried for this entire evening and I came out with a C1.. You never do as bad as you think :)

Im gonna try not to dwell but I must stress NOTHING I LEARNT CAME UP

Bluffed Dictatorships(Nazi State) and Impact of partition(Irish gov democracy)
    Went back to case study. Ran outta time before the essay - did buller points

No US.. didnt get time

So..Ya... :( Cannot believe it...Im still so speechless. Went out and saw the teacher. He was gobsmacked...... Just my luck it would be a horrendous paper when Id repeat.................:(
    And I know I should stay calm but I wasted alot of study time on that paper and NONE of it came up. Well, Cng and Hitler did but not the areas I needed. And I WASTED covering the US new for 2months, to NOT get to it and Im positive, I would not of known much.

Gutted. Was depending on the points for that one....

Rant over.

French - I passed I think - which is good....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Overall evaluation:

Titles for Ireland + America were scary, but when I started them it wasnt too bad.

Ireland:
    Did the Dev essay, was alright just went through his rise to prominence, his mistakes in the negotiations and the civil war, then his success in creating a republic but failure with the economic war. Linking all of those to strengths and weaknesses
    Got 5 pages done

America: Did the presidents question with a paragraph on each relating it to the Imperial presidency.
    Got 5 pages done

Europe: Jizzed when I saw the characteristics of the nazi state. Wrote about totalitarianism, the SS, Propaganda, Anti semetism, aggressive foreign policy and the economic policy.
    Got 5 and a half pages done.

Case study: Wasn't happy with ABOD but got on with it.
    Comprehension: Easy enough
    B: Not too bad, wrote about a page
    C: Went well, wrote 1.5 pags
    D: Didnt like it tbh, but got 2.5 pages out of it then the time was up.

Overall: Satisfied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Beatlemania

What a horrid paper, I'm so dissapointed!
    My class were ready to kill, cos we didnt do Apprentice Boys :( I tried to look over it before I went in, but its just so hard to leanr brand new material so late. So yeahhhh, wrote a half page of made up stuff for the 40 marker.

I was not happy with the questions but still got 4 pages on each

Moon Landing - mine was like, 3 pages of just an account and 1 page of the significance :|

Jarrow was ok, I wanted that one.

Eamon de Valera - I just used stuff from my treaty debates and fianna fail industry and agriculture essays, then stuck in some rubbish about dismantling the treaty and how he was a good speaker ^_^

I'll be lucky to get a B, sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

In response to what others have been saying, I really do completely agree that the timing thing is a bit ridiculous. I fail to understand why geography gets the extra half an hour whereas history doesn't. Granted there are more questions to be answered in geography but they are no where near as long (I'd imagine page totals end up about the same). It's just plain silly how you're so limited in history that you end up having to sacrifice relevent,factual knowledge that you spent buggering ages learning just so that you can move onto the next point and repeat the same process :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

I did higher level all year and put a lot of work into a higher level project, but I just didn't think I could have passed the higher level exam so I switched to ordinary. It was my first time seeing the paper and it might as well have been foundation, such a divide when higher level is just out of reach :(

I'm sure I did very well but I'm really disappointed in myself for not doing higher level...anyone else in the same boat?

Also, anyone know how a higher level project is marked in ordinary level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

I answered all the questions, but like I ontl wrote like a page an a half for my essays, They had all the relevant info in them, so im banking on quality over quantity. Didnt even look at appretince boys, ever. So bull****ted that. Done Impact on Northern Ireland of internation development. Blabbed on about development of the german empire and then explained how it affacted Britain. Then for the question what did (----) achieve in britain during 1920-1945 I wrote about the jarrow march, that was okay. Jarrow is short anyway so only got over a page on it. Then for US wrote about vietnam, got about a page and 3/4s. My writing is tiny like, 15 words on each line... so... Hopefully I at least pass. Im hoping for a D3 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Meller wrote: »
    ... but in the mock it was obvious that the longer essays got more marks than the well-structured, well-written ones (as long as they weren't absolutely dreadful).
    Remember that the mocks are often corrected much more poorly / quickly than the actual LC, and by inexperienced examiners ... for the most part experienced examiners are much too busy teaching their own classes at that time of year to take it on.
    AdamD wrote: »
    Even if somebody's 4 page essay is of a slightly higher standard than another's 5 page essay, the 5 page essay will get a higher mark. Assuming the quality is of a decent standard, it becomes quantity.
    Odd that they don't tell the examiners that then! :)

Though, as I said, I would agree that history by its nature needs more quantity than most other papers just to get the point across / back it up / demonstrate that you actually know your stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Devastated :( they might as well have personally looked at my notes too see what i had studied and put on anything but that. I could only manage like two and a half pages on each. I was hoping for a b1 but I'll honestly be happy if i pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Jdivision91

Overall evaluation:

Titles for Ireland + America were scary, but when I started them it wasnt too bad.

Ireland:
    Did the Dev essay, was alright just went through his rise to prominence, his mistakes in the negotiations and the civil war, then his success in creating a republic but failure with the economic war. Linking all of those to strengths and weaknesses
    Got 5 pages done

America: Did the presidents question with a paragraph on each relating it to the Imperial presidency.
    Got 5 pages done

Europe: Jizzed when I saw the characteristics of the nazi state. Wrote about totalitarianism, the SS, Propaganda, Anti semetism, aggressive foreign policy and the economic policy.
    Got 5 and a half pages done.

Case study: Wasn't happy with ABOD but got on with it.
    Comprehension: Easy enough
    B: Not too bad, wrote about a page
    C: Went well, wrote 1.5 pags
    D: Didnt like it tbh, but got 2.5 pages out of it then the time was up.

Overall: Satisfied

hey for the presidents question how much were ya writing for each of them?? :) i was seriously pressed for time and got it done but only a few lines on both carter and ford and it was about foreign policy only :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

It was not what I was hoping for at all :( I was focusing on Coleraine and the fact that they didn't come up kind of threw me and then nothing I had revised on Ireland came up! I had draw on my months old information on Griffith... also the Nation States Tension question was so broad, didn't know where to stop or start... Nazis was OK but not as good as it could of been cause I was so flustered! I was hoping for an A but I don't think it's gonna happen :(

hey for the presidents question how much were ya writing for each of them?? :) i was seriously pressed for time and got it done but only a few lines on both carter and ford and it was about foreign policy only :(

20+ line paragraphs on Johnson/Nixon/Reagan/Truman+Roosevelt
    10-12 line paragraphs on Ford/Carter/Kennedy

I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

That test was weird.

For the Apprentice Boys question I did 3 quarters of a page. As I type my exams that would probably be 1.5-2 pages. The parts 1, 2 and 3 were grand and I quoted for each one so hopefully I will get almost full marks for those 60 marks. I hope I gave enough information with 5 paragraphs for the contextualisation.

In Ireland I wrote about de Valera, how his weakness was not recognising the hopes of some of his delegates (Eg Treaty negotiations), success with agriculture and industry in Fianna Fail and ending the Economic war.

Europe was ok, I wrote about Lenin and Stalin. Kind of used migration with the man-made famine as a social change as well as taking produce as economic. It was mostly social changes, couldn't think of much really for economic.

In America I did a really good essay on the Moon landing's significance and just brief points and facts on the Vietnam war but otherwise this was definitely my best essay.

Overall I'm happy with the paper, the worst I could've got would be in the late 60s so I'm happy I did honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Remember that the mocks are often corrected much more poorly / quickly than the actual LC, and by inexperienced examiners ... for the most part experienced examiners are much too busy teaching their own classes at that time of year to take it on.

I've heard examiners say that people can get A1s by having lots of paragraphs, though (and therefore long essays)- because of the cumulative mark you can get 5s and 6s for each paragraph as long as you write lots and lots of them. If the structure's in any way decent you should do fairly well with the other 40 marks as well.

The fact that the exam is so short proves it's not quality over quantity though: I would have loved to think my essays through, and really take hold of the questions instead of simply glancing at them and pouring all my information about the given topic onto the page- but with 35 minutes per essay, it's just not feasible. You can throw down a quick one-minute plan but that's about it.

I've always tried to be a bit analytical with history, but it's never, ever gotten me anywhere- it always meant my essays were shorter because I spent too much time thinking about it when I would undoubtedly have gotten more marks for throwing down a paragraph of short, choppy facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Just a question regarding the Nazi characteristics question: How do they mark it? I mean once you have 60/60 for CM how would one get less than 40/40 for the OM. I mean there was nothing to debate or argue, it was simply "write as much as you know on the characteristics". I'll be interested to see what I get in this... Also, do you think 2 aspects was enough to cover, I did anti semitism and propaganda and was quite happy with it but other people have covered up to 5 so I'm just wondering...
    Seeing how bad some people got on, I feel I'm being overly picky but I'd like to know nonetheless...

20+ line paragraphs on Johnson/Nixon/Reagan/Truman+Roosevelt
    10-12 line paragraphs on Ford/Carter/Kennedy

I think

wow good going i was too stuck for time so literally was rattling off facts :pac: had no time to make it look like an essay with structure or anything still happy i done it though cos i dont reckon many would have picked it as it covered all the presidents what ya think?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Seaner1878

Document Question bit unexpected but ah well what can you do..wasnt too bad..

Cumman na Gaedhael consolidating democracy was tasty got a nice 5-6 pages out of it..I didnt really mention Ecomomics though as I didnt see how thats relevant to consolidating democracy?just did Civil war/IRA dealt with,Anglo-Irish relations,Law and order,Army mutiny,1927 year of change,Articles 2A and then 1932 election and handover of power

Nazi State was fair enough aswell just propaganda/nuremburg,totalitarian state,night of long knives,education and youth,Church state relations(got about a page outta that could wrote more),economy,self sufficiency and anti semitism

Martin LK then was pretty ok aswell MBB and why it was important,MIA,how MLK was an example for sit ins,freedom ride etc,how he took part in marches,march on Washington/Civil rights bill,Voter registration and then how he went down hill after 1966 and a little conclusion :)

Just got it finished but like the History Exam should be same as English Paper 2 for time..Like I left loads of stuff I knew out so just as I could get it done..

• Advertisement

wow good going i was too stuck for time so literally was rattling off facts :pac: had no time to make it look like an essay with structure or anything still happy i done it though cos i dont reckon many would have picked it as it covered all the presidents what ya think?? :)

They should give us marks for remembering all of the presidents in order tbh :D

Id say most people did the MLK essay and turned it into a MBB one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Browne93

Just seeking some assurance here. I did the Jarrow March Q topic 3, could you have wrote about the British economy in that question? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Meller wrote: »
    I've heard examiners say that people can get A1s by having lots of paragraphs, though (and therefore long essays)- because of the cumulative mark you can get 5s and 6s for each paragraph as long as you write lots and lots of them.
    That's more about structuring your essay well though ... breaking it into paragraphs, a good point to every paragraph, back it up well, move on. And yes, it does mean that essays will tend to be a certain minimum length all right, but students put far too much emphasis on "I wrote X pages therefore I'll get Y !!1! :(:D:confused:".

And btw, if you've written one big long paragraph about two separate and distinct points, and simply forgotten to split it in the middle, but it's clear that you're making two points, the examiner can and normally will split it themselves and treat it as two paras.

Just as if you have say two very short paras about the same point, they can treat it as one para for marking purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

Browne93 wrote: »
    Just seeking some assurance here. I did the Jarrow March Q topic 3, could you have wrote about the British economy in that question? :)

i'd say you'll be ok ,cz the economic problem in whole britain led to that :)

Browne93 wrote: »

yeah you could have definitely just say that these problems led to the jarrow march or even talk about the economy first and then say the best example of this hardship was jarrow.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Browne93

yeah you could have definitely just say that these problems led to the jarrow march or even talk about the economy first and then say the best example of this hardship was jarrow.....
    martyllia wrote: »
    i'd say you'll be ok ,cz the economic problem in whole britain led to that :)
    Thank You :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

i wrote 10 pages for the whole exam,but i'm happy with it cz i know i put everything that was relevant to the q. But if i got another 20 mins i would write more on american,and scribble another page on deV as i only got 1 and 3/4 for that q. But I'm so happy it's all over! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marlasinger

Wanted an A or a high B so badly, but I'm really not sure how likely that now is.
    Reckon that I've lost all of my overall evaluation marks.

I did Apprentice Boys, characterstics of Nazi state, MLK (can someone tell me, if I just talked about the Montgomery Bus Boycott, his effect on that, and consequent protests, marches etc, and then the anti-war movement, is that enough?), and consolidating democracy CnaG (horrible question, only got three pages done. Army Mutiny, Garda Siocha, Public Safety Acts, and Electoral Amendment)

I'm sort of disappointed because I love history so much. Its a ridiculously difficult paper anyway, leaves you no time to think about what you're writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

and consolidating democracy CnaG (horrible question, only got three pages done. Army Mutiny, Garda Siocha, Public Safety Acts, and Electoral Amendment

I did that question and forgot to put in every single thing you just mentioned.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I guess it was an OK paper.
    I did 21 pages but again this time thing is a serious issue, could have done much more on the U.S.A. question if there was even 5 minutes more.
    I did:
    1: "How did the Irish government contribute to the consolidation of democracy 1922-1932"
    2: To what extent did Lenin and/or Stalin bring about social and economic change?
    3: How did the US Presidency develop from Roosevelt to Reagan?

Advertisement