Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

That was such an annoying paper, I thought the questions were asked in really strange ways. And I'm annoyed I didn't see the 'or' part of the Vietnam and/or moon landing qn. I had so much on Vietnam...

US: MLK, kinda just wrote the Civil Rights essay I had prepared and tried to tie him into every paragraph. Talked about his speeches, protests, giving hope to blacks, and speaking out against Vietnam.
    Ireland: consolidation of democracy, bit annoyed it was only up to 1932, I had loads done on FF. Went pretty well though; civil service, law & order, army mutiny, transfer of power.
    Europe: sooooo annoyed I didn't go over mussolini this morning like I meant to. I was counting on the economy of britain or france... Knew church state relations really well, th rest was half-remembered stuff about the economy & foreign policy. Had to leave loads out, I managed to write 8 pages without putting in half the stuff I know.
    Messed up the document because I though the exam ended at 4.20 not 4.50. Rushed thorugh it probably lost loads of marks. Rewrote the mini-essay though.

Overall could have been worse, but could have been lot better too...

VV I didn't think of the Balfour declaration etc! How annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Wanted an A or a high B so badly, but I'm really not sure how likely that now is.
    Reckon that I've lost all of my overall evaluation marks.

I did Apprentice Boys, characterstics of Nazi state, MLK (can someone tell me, if I just talked about the Montgomery Bus Boycott, his effect on that, and consequent protests, marches etc, and then the anti-war movement, is that enough?), and consolidating democracy CnaG (horrible question, only got three pages done. Army Mutiny, Garda Siocha, Public Safety Acts, and Electoral Amendment)

I'm sort of disappointed because I love history so much. Its a ridiculously difficult paper anyway, leaves you no time to think about what you're writing.

For CnaG question, a background paragraph on the civil war was relevant. Also, the establishment of a working government, name of the ministers for example.. You could argue that the economic policy contributed to the consolidation of the state. The Balfour Declaration, Statute of Westminster is also relevant. The 1932 election and the smooth transfer of power could have been mentioned as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Cant complain too much as I was able to write all 3 essays, knew 2 very well but the Martin Luther one was basically just a civil rights essay.

BUT

what a horrific paper! How many people in history came up!? Was so disappointed with the USA section. I studied everything bar what came up basically! Had a feelin they would throw the moon landing and vietnam up again but opted not to study for it. Like I said I managed to get 4 pages on Luther although it was kinda off the topic :P

and Apprentice Boys?? Again I cant complain as I literally looked at Coleraine 1 min before I went into the exam. Didnt get to do the 40 as I ran out of time. Overall that document question was very poor. Im only hoping for a C1/B3 so hopefully iv scraped that anyway!

Did anyone else think that they were trying to catch us out?? The way they worded the essays was unbelievable. I didnt understand the Nothern Ireland one and it took me ages to figure out the democracy one was on CnG.

Overall, Im just delighted that I could write the essays and also...I NEVER HAVE TO OPEN THAT HISTORY BOOK AGAIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

For CnaG question, a background paragraph on the civil war was relevant. Also, the establishment of a working government, name of the ministers for example.. You could argue that the economic policy contributed to the consolidation of the state. The Balfour Declaration, Statute of Westminster is also relevant. The 1932 election and the smooth transfer of power could have been mentioned as well.
    I didnt mention the civil war :/ basically talked about law and order, mutiny, economic pol, agriculture, industry, education, foreign policy/balfour/statue of westminster.. is that ok?? Completely forgot to mention to smooth handing over of power, that line would have been perfect!

I didnt mention the civil war :/ basically talked about law and order, mutiny, economic pol, agriculture, industry, education, foreign policy/balfour/statue of westminster.. is that ok?? Completely forgot to mention to smooth handing over of power, that line would have been perfect!

It sounds like you mentioned most of the key points. I hadn't thought of education, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

About the way it's marked, is it that you're marked on what you do have done first, and all that comes out of 60? So if you don't mention something it won't effect that, but it will effect the 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I would have been screwed only for I learnt was Eoin Jackson on Youtube predicted would come up. Woo hoo!

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    About the way it's marked, is it that you're marked on what you do have done first, and all that comes out of 60? So if you don't mention something it won't effect that, but it will effect the 40?

Basically yeah and it really depends on the examiner (they may not have spotted that you left out something for example or they themselves don't regard it as important). The CM part is all about quantity I'm afraid, that's why you need a minimum of 4 pages to guarantee 60 out of 60.

If you get 60 out of 60 in the CM after writing 4 - 5 pages, you're basically guaranteed an A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marlasinger

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I did that question and forgot to put in every single thing you just mentioned.....

So what did you write on? I might have gone down the wrong road with it, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

You don't really have to talk about the Balfour Declaration and the Statute, I'm guessing, because its not consolidation of democracy but rather more to do with Anglo-Irish relations. I talked about the Civil War, IRA, Childers being executed, Article 2A (Saor Eire, Commies, blah blah blah and how the first trial was that of the editor of the Irish Press), formation of the Gardai, introduction of a fair and equal constitution, army mutiny 1924, Electoral Amendment Bill, the preservation of democracy in general by CnaG and the orderly transition of power. God, I got really sick of writing "Cumann na nGaedhael" over and over again!

But good it came up...I prepared more for economic policies of both governments or consolidation of democracy by both FF and CnaG. Did well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I did the LC last year but had a look at this year's exam.

The Irish section looked ok, I probably would have done the question on Free State Democracy.

The Europe section looked piss easy. Honestly, if you couldn't do either the Stalin/Lenin question of the Nazi state question then what the f*ck are you doing studying the subject...

The US section was easier last year, that's for sure.

Documents questions looked handy as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Crazy paper, threw me off right from the moment I read the questions.
    I had to spend a good five minutes choosing which ones I wanted to do, as I hadn't done essays before on anything that came up, apart from Mussolini (when I saw that question, I jizzed).

So much for Coleraine coming up, but I somehow managed to sell some bull on the Apprentice Boys - I reckon I got more marks than in my mock.

Some of the questions were mad. I ended up doing 3 pages on Benito, 3.5 on the American Presidents and 2.5 on Dev. Was happy overall with the quality of my answers, but I gotta wonder - what was up with the emphasis on people in history?

In every section, all that was there was names:

Ireland - Pearse, Markievicz, Griffith, de Valera.
    Europe - Stalin, Lenin, Keynes, Churchill, Mussolini.
    USA - Presidents, MLK, Monroe, Ali, Graham.

Seems like a lot more questions on people than events, in comparison with previous years.

I'm satisfied with my performance overall, but I can understand people's frustration with this exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

I'd say this a perfect example of the new education minister removing the "predictablility factor" it was like walking into the early modern exam....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

and did any1 do the literature question from the nation states section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Ireland
    Topic 3
    consolidating democracy 1922-32

civil war,
    recovery,
    army mutiny 1924,
    ecoomics -agriculture - industry - shannon scheme
    politics etc... -opposition fianna fail- sinnfein- needed in democracy

4 pages*

Europe and the wider world
    topic 3
    Characteristic of nazi state in germany?
    internal policy
    facism,
    fear communism
    propaganda
    anti semitism- racial theory
    anti varseille (expanding the reich to other german speaking countrys for third reich)
    5 pages* spent to long on it though 50 mins

Topic 5
    Gahndi :mad:
    all his bull mainly about independce in india,
    salt protest,
    civil disobidience,
    passive resistance,
    quit india
    didnt want partition,
    secular state, multicultural
    2 1/2 pages* ran out of time

** about 7-9 words a line I guess

i'm now remembering aload of stuff i could of included :(

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I was happy with the paper over all. Wrote 4 pages per essay, a page and a bit for contextulisation and then just the usual length answers for the other document questions. The contextulisation was a bit blunt like I didnt feel I could write more than I wrote but my teacher was saying 2 good well developed paragraphs and you'll be fit to get the full marks for it. I did Stalin, de Valera and Vietnam. Was CERTAIN the treaty negotiations were gunna be there but I had notes for the exact question that came up for DEV from a history revision course thing and I had studied it pretty well:) I think there was loads of key personalities on the paper because they realised that not many people study the key personalities and they threw them in as a wake up call. Overall though I thought there was TOO many key personalities:L thank god for dev though:L

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blahhhhh

The paper was weird, so many key personalities! Could have been worse though...

I did:
    Document 3.5 pages (WHY WASN'T IT COLERAINE)
    Nazi State 1933-39 (couldn't believe my luck when that came up!) 4.5 pages
    Vietnam (like the rest of the country... didn't answer on the moon landing though. Raging that I didn't learn the presidents) 4.5 pages
    And my Irish one was just... hideous... I do Topic 6 and they were ALL questions with more than one part. I wrote a page about Noel Browne and the TB crisis. 1. Page.

But on the whole, I've had worse history exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 KandyVamp

bradleyboy wrote: »
    I'd say this a perfect example of the new education minister removing the "predictablility factor" it was like walking into the early modern exam....

Ah here now, it wasn't that bad at all! I only learnt 3 essay subjects for each of my topics based on predictions and had at least a choice of one essay per topic and two in nation states (and I could have pulled off another D+D if I had to). I thought the predictions were pretty close.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

blahhhhh wrote: »
    Document 3.5 pages (WHY WASN'T IT COLERAINE)

I actually slapped myself when I saw 'Apprentice Boys'. Luckily I remembered it from class but I never looked at it since!
    I didn't finish it in the end, I went back to it with my extra time but I STILL get it done! Gaaah! Well I wrote just under 3 pages but it turns rather frantic and illegible as I realised I had five minutes left! :p

Good thing I watched a documentary on Stalin last night, so I wrote the essay on him and Lenin, I did the one on consolidating democracy in Ireland and finally the moon landing and Vietnam (two paragraphs on each incident, for some reason I didn't think much of the 'or'. I thought it was more of a trick 'or' and they really meant both. I probably wouldn't be able to write four paragraphs on each anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I can't understand the problem with the MLK question. EVERYONE knew it was coming up in some shape or form. We all know that we're supposed to have a grasp of the wider context(mainly after the boycott) as higher level students and MLK is involved in nearly every civil rights event in the book. Why people didn't like that question is beyond me. Maybe coz it said US affairs? But come on, they should have taken it as his contribution to the civil rights movement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Holy ****e.....I only did the constitution and law /order for Irish Gov in topic 3.......:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Holy ****e.....I only did the constitution and law /order for Irish Gov in topic 3.......:(:(:(:(

What's wrong with that?

Which constitution?

Mousey- wrote: »
    Ireland
    Topic 3
    consolidating democracy 1922-32

civil war,
    recovery,
    army mutiny 1924,
    ecoomics -agriculture - industry - shannon scheme
    politics etc... -opposition fianna fail- sinnfein- needed in democracy

I didnt put in the economy or sinn fein?!

:( Hated the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

Overall I thought the paper was okay. Was really hoping to do well today becuase History is my favourite subject but I'm not really sure how well I did.

Document: wasn't what I wanted really but I had looked over the Apprentice Boys and think I did good enough. Found some of the questions a little long and awkward though.
    USA: Did MLK but only because it was the only one I felt confident doing. Was dissappointed neither Truman or Concensus/Collapse came up.
    D and D: Did characteristics Of Nazi state. Was a little put off by the lack of question in the title but I felt I did grand.
    Ireland: Poor pick of questions in my opinion. Ended up doing De Valera by trying to remember his role from 1916 onwards. Wanted CnG/FF economy.

My teacher met us after and he reckons theyre gonna make history a bit trickier to stop the "learner offers" apparently.

For example, what they did today with key personalities?

I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I can't understand the problem with the MLK question. EVERYONE knew it was coming up in some shape or form. We all know that we're supposed to have a grasp of the wider context(mainly after the boycott) as higher level students and MLK is involved in nearly every civil rights event in the book. Why people didn't like that question is beyond me. Maybe coz it said US affairs? But come on, they should have taken it as his contribution to the civil rights movement...

I did the MLK question but I also was initially put off by the question as well. Seeing as my choice for other questions were limited at best I dove in and described his role (or lack of) in the Civil Right Movement. Mentioned 'Affairs' and his contribution in each paragraph. After our exam our teacher said that writing about his role in areas of civil rights was the right way to go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

My teacher met us after and he reckons theyre gonna make history a bit trickier to stop the "learner offers" apparently.

For example, what they did today with key personalities?

I dunno

I actually don't know how they can make history any "trickier" it's already very very difficult. Not many people in my school do it. If this is the thinking of the SEC, there will be even less or none doing it. I can't see there been any other way to do history apart from learning off anyway. It's all facts, you know it or you don't. No logic or thinking in it whatsoever IMO anyway.

My exam today was a disaster. I learned off about 10 essays, 3 per section. I almost managed to learn everything that didn't come up. I didn't do the European essay at all. If I get a C3 I will consider myself very lucky. I can't understand why there was so many key personalities

To say I regret doing this subject, would be an understatement. How I wish I did geography or ag. It was all going good up until today:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fitz1011

Was really disappointed with this paper out of the eight essays i learned off the only one that came up was the one on Stalin and for MLK one i basically wrote the Montgomery essay i had learned off. Things were going good until today :(. I like history but wish i hadnt picked it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Thought the paper was fine. I knew Apprentice very well. Did 8 pages overall for documents
    I did Ireland - movements for social and political reform
    i did the question on cultural life about Yeats and Hyde same Q came up in the mock. I wrote 4 pages
    The nation states book i did the question on technology and medicine i was kinda worried about the time i had left so i rushed the last page of this got very messy. I wrote 4 pages
    For America i did King - Mentioned everything i knew got 4 pages had like 2 min to spare

Advertisement