Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CUS101

My Ideal paper:

USA:
    Economy 1968-89/ what caused the crash (never been asked )
    Ireland:
    Compare economic policies of CnaG and FF.
    DD:
    Hitler F-Policy.
    Colraine.

would just be perfect ha.

if people would recommend their top Irish and DD essays it'd be great, they are my two weakest sections!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Does anyone know if the there's a certain length the essays have to be? I mean if it was only about three pages long, would that matter as long as it has the right information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

babynice wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the there's a certain length the essays have to be? I mean if it was only about three pages long, would that matter as long as it has the right information?
    I always do 3 pgs with everything in it but judging by here, that seems short?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

AdamD wrote: »
    I always do 5 pages per essay. Just need to practice writing faster. Can't see you getting 60/60 with 3 and a half pages.

It's better to get 4.5 to 5 pages done anyway. In that you'll get in about 9-10 paragraphs which will easily get 60/60 in CM and if it's in any way good pick up 20-30 in OE, that's B1/A2 category and it isn't hard as long as you know the question asked.

3.5 is really scraping it in the CM, very hard to pick up 60/60 with only that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

We were told to do 4pages max!!! You wont have time to do much more than that and i think that 3 isnt too short as long as you have the right information. I always end up doing 3.5-4 depending on the toppic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

6 or 7 good decent paragraphs, about half a page each. Pure facts though - absolutely no waffle. Should come to 3 and a half, 4 pages (I have small writing and get max 3.5 in the forty minutes!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

my teacher said 3 and a half pages,around 8 good paragraphs,intro and conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

martyllia wrote: »
    my teacher said 3 and a half pages,around 8 good paragraphs,intro and conclusion
    The biggest mistake that people make is not answering the question that is asked.

Read the question carefully - what is the timeframe and stick within it - target 8 paragraphs dealing with one issue per paragraph and how this issue relates to/answers the question. You are being asked a question - you must give the relevent information and to maximise the marks state how it relates to/answers the question. After writing each paragraph look again at the question.

Finally, plan your essay before you start - bullet points or a mindmap - it will be easier to see if you are answering the question posed, it will stop you going off track and it will make the best use of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 firestarter197

What our teacher said is likely:

Sinn Fein
    Collins
    Treaty Negotiations
    CnG - achievements + know enough economic policy for overlap with FF
    FF on its own or overlap with CnG
    Eucharistic Congress/experience of North and South

Mussolini - rise to (dictatorial) power + domestic policies/consolidation of power
    Show Trials
    Lenin/Stalin overlap
    Hitler Foreign Policy
    Nuremberg Rallies as part of Propaganda

Bismarck/Wilhelm
    Eastern Question
    Reasons behind WWI + Treaty Versailles/Peace Settlement of Europe

Odds are that it will be Coleraine/App Boys, doubt that they will repeat Sunningdale.

Oh and for length, our teacher says aim for 4 pages. Into, 6 main paragraphs, conclusion. At half a page each, you should get 7-8 content per paragraph which is all you need to get the 60/60. For the overall impression, refer often back to the question, be clear and neat and try to get in some quotes. If you get 60/60 content, chance are you'll get enough overall impression for a top grade. Your special topic is the first thing they mark, so if it is good, you'll have the examiner on your side from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

I don't know what i'm doing yet. I'm FREAKED for History, as I need to cover everything this week. Payed absolutely no attention in classes, and did absolutely nothing. Stupid ol' me :mad: I piss myself off so much.

Anyways, i'm hoping and wishing that there's some sort of question that asks you to talk about the Nuremberg Rallies (like the actual whole case study, from start to finish), cause it's the only thing that I know from back to front. If anyone wants me to write up the 'facts' that I prepared, I will, but it has to be today. I have prepared about an A4 page on facts alone, so converting that into my writing would be... 2 or 2 1/2 A4 pages... + turning it into an actual essay, would bring it up to about 3 1/2 maybe. I've forced my friend to learn it off too :) I have this thing that when I feel like something is extremely easy, I want to force everyone to do it.

Btw, if anyone is doing Mussolini's foreign policies, I just found these links:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Revision:Mussolini_-_Foreign_Policy
    http://www.templehistory.dna.ie/foreign_mussolini.htm

No idea how useful they are yet, but we'll see. I'll be back to post any links I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Does anyone have an essay on Ireland during the war? Badly stuck :(

Does anyone have an essay on Ireland during the war? Badly stuck :(

both north and south?
    i have 5 copy pages on ireland 1939-1945 in bullet points :)

Well the Nuremberg Rallies can come up as part of Nazi propaganda, but really propaganda has been asked twice now I think so I doubt it will come up. It is a case study I think which gives it a better chance nonetheless.

Mussolini foreign doesn't seem likely. If it's foreign, it will be Hitler. If it's Mussolini, rise/consolidation of power perhaps. Could be an overlap with Hitler on general factors in the rise of fascism or how fascism overturned democracy in Germany and/or Italy.

Well the Nuremberg Rallies can come up as part of Nazi propaganda, but really propaganda has been asked twice now I think so I doubt it will come up. It is a case study I think which gives it a better chance nonetheless.

Mussolini foreign doesn't seem likely. If it's foreign, it will be Hitler. If it's Mussolini, rise/consolidation of power perhaps. Could be an overlap with Hitler on general factors in the rise of fascism or how fascism overturned democracy in Germany and/or Italy.

That's what i think too. My teacher said that it's unlikely they'll ask a specific q on Mussolini cz there isn't enough to write about him.
    i did a chart with q they asked and growth of fascism came up only once (2006)
    i have a feelin there'll be soemthin on holocaust and resistance,they never asked about it.
    i doubt there'll be somethin on Stalin,last yr extarnal and internal policies of Stalin came up.
    Thre'll be something on France,as it only came up twice (2007 & 2009) and was a part of q in 2008.

My fav q would be Hitler's fp or anti semitism & Holocaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Prinkle

How likely is it that counterculture will come up in American history? It's by far my best question...

Holocaust is a definite possibility. Hasn't been asked and it will be at some point.
    If Stalin/Lenin doesn't come up this year in Dictatorship and Democracy then Russia might come up in Nation States. One thing is for sure: they won't ask Russia on both sections.

Do you have 2 separate essays on Hitler's FP? One on Hitler's FP before 1939 and another on 1939-1945? They might set up parameters in the question which could be tricky, especially if your essay contains paragraphs on FP from the period before the War and the one during the War.

Holocaust is a definite possibility. Hasn't been asked and it will be at some point.
    If Stalin/Lenin doesn't come up this year in Dictatorship and Democracy then Russia might come up in Nation States. One thing is for sure: they won't ask Russia on both sections.

Do you have 2 separate essays on Hitler's FP? One on Hitler's FP before 1939 and another on 1939-1945? They might set up parameters in the question which could be tricky, especially if your essay contains paragraphs on FP from the period before the War and the one during the War.

i don't think so there's enough to write 3+ pages on hitler's fp on before 1939 alone or 1939-45 alone.
    I have only 1 and half page for 1933-1939

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

so am i the only person doing the retrat from empire book?

partition of India is what everyone is hoping for, but if retrat from africa comes up I may be ok.

The bulk of mine is from before 1939. I think we ran out of time and couldn't do everything on Hitler.

My money is definitely on Mussolini and Hitler. I really cannot see a scenario where neither is in no way on the paper this year in Dictatorship and Democracy.

For nation states I might just do Germany+eastern question+reasons for WWI+versailles and that should be enough.

Irish - sinn fein, treaty negotiations, CnG, FF.

• Advertisement

Sorry Mousey, I don't do your topic.

Oh and Collins also for Irish. His anniversary is 2012, but it seems there are a lot of anniversaries coming up next year and they could easily put him on this year. He has come up in sample papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fionn27

I've done barely any study for History, and I'm looking for a low A, high B.. Between now and the exam I'm going to do an essay on:

Ireland
    1913 Lockout
    1885 and 1886 General Elections

America
    Causes and Consequences of Montgomery Bus Boycott

Europe
    Causes and Consequences of Jarrow March
    Stalin and Lenin

Northern Ireland
    Coleraine
    Briefly look over Sunningdale and Apprentice Boys

I'm going to do essays on each of the mentioned things and learn the essays off by heart, hopefully that will cover me. The good thing about history is its pretty hard to fail if you do a good project. Last year I got C3 with a project that got 92, but absolute bullsh*t in the exam. Did no study whatsoever and each essay was about a page and a half long. Don't know if I'll get an A this year though, considering I've left it o late to study it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CUS101

For a possible question on, The Rise/Growth of a fascist regime, would it be correct to besically write about the rise of Mussolini or Hitler.?
    Also what are peoples feelings on Soverignty and Partition section I'm a little lost.? :/

Um.. i'm a bit confused.
    I was looking at the 2010 Exam papers for HL History, and Europe and the 'Wider World' (aka USA for me) topics were all under 1 section. YOu're supposed to answer 1 question on 2 topics. Is it compulsory to do one on European History AND one on Wider World History, or can you do, 2 on European history, as long as they are on different topics?

Also..... i'm very freaked out over the History Exam cuz I have to cover all the books (i'm leaving out Irish History tho) this week. How hard is it to get around 25? I'm counting on 15% from the Special Topic =\. If I do well on the Document Question, and get around 15% on that section, is it hard to get 10%? I know this is a difficult question, as it depends on how much you know... but just think of it in general. Would you have to know a lot of information about 2 topics to get 10%? Or is it relatively easy to get?

Ahh I honestly dont know what to do. Everytime I feel like I can leave out something, my mind tells me otherwise! I'm ending up covering everything!! I've covered almost everything to do with Mussolini, and on my way to doing that with Hitler!! :(

If it says 'A Fascist Regime', you talk about one. Whichever. If it says 'the factors that led to the growth of fascist regimes in Europe...', then you are expected to mention both. You don't have to talk about them equally, but for this particular essay it pretty much works out that way. Economic depression, failure of parliamentary democracy and fear of communism are the general factors for the rise of fascist states both in Italy and Germany. Then on, you could mention whatever you want from either.

These are my picks for sovereignty and partition:

Sinn Fein
    Collins
    Treaty Negotiations CnG - achievements + know enough economic policy for overlap with FF
    FF on its own or overlap with CnG
    Eucharistic Congress/experience of North and South

It would be good to know the war of independence and civil war, but I plan to do them only as part of a Collins essay.

Um.. i'm a bit confused.
    I was looking at the 2010 Exam papers for HL History, and Europe and the 'Wider World' (aka USA for me) topics were all under 1 section. YOu're supposed to answer 1 question on 2 topics. Is it compulsory to do one on European History AND one on Wider World History, or can you do, 2 on European history, as long as they are on different topics?

Also..... i'm very freaked out over the History Exam cuz I have to cover all the books (i'm leaving out Irish History tho) this week. How hard is it to get around 25? I'm counting on 15% from the Special Topic =\. If I do well on the Document Question, and get around 15% on that section, is it hard to get 10%? I know this is a difficult question, as it depends on how much you know... but just think of it in general. Would you have to know a lot of information about 2 topics to get 10%? Or is it relatively easy to get?

Ahh I honestly dont know what to do. Everytime I feel like I can leave out something, my mind tells me otherwise! I'm ending up covering everything!! I've covered almost everything to do with Mussolini, and on my way to doing that with Hitler!! :(

You can do 2 European as long as their different topics :)
    I have to do all of the course until wednesday! i've done irish today (treaty,civil war,cumann ngael 1922-1932,fianna fail 1932-1939) , i plan to cram today bit of the emergency thingy,hopefully that covers me for irish...?
    tomorrow i'll do society during wwII,growth of fascism,hitler's fp, on monday i'll do jarrow march and britain and coleraine and apprentice boys.
    i have all day on tuesday to do usa ,mbb & civil rights,vietnam,nixon,truman
    on wednesday gettin up around 5 to cram as much as i can!

for growth of fascism is it ok to do hitler and mussolini up to 1933?

purplevintage,

In the 2010 paper, the entire Section 3 is under the title: Europe and the Wider World. There are six topics: Nationalism and state formation, nation states, dictatorship and democracy..., the US and the world. You do 1 question from any 2 of those topics. Most people do 1 question from dictatorship and democracy and 1 question from US and the world.

You can get 60/100 in the document question without the contextualization. If you get 90 for instance in the special topic, you only need another 50 marks from the three essays to secure 40% overall. It shouldn't be that hard to do really.

Thanks, and best of luck covering everything :)
    I think you should try and learn the other case studies in the European Book. They may not come up, but they're relatively easy to remember, and might actually help you with another question.

I don't think you can go many ways with growth of fascism so yup. Just make sure you cover the background to it and the reasons for Fascism to develop. I think that would get you some marks...

For Mussolini its fine as you can stop at 1926 when he is granted the power to rule by decree. For Hitler you should probably end it in 1934 when he becomes Fuhrer and Reich Chancellor. It depends on the question really. It could be just the general factors in the growth of fascist states or it could be how Hitler and Mussolini rise to assume dictatorial power.

• Advertisement

my teacher said his isn't that hard cz you only need 20% for project,full 100 marks for the NI and then 7% for each essay q to get C1...hopefully i can make it

Advertisement