Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

Thanks, and best of luck covering everything :)
    I think you should try and learn the other case studies in the European Book. They may not come up, but they're relatively easy to remember, and might actually help you with another question.

I don't think you can go many ways with growth of fascism so yup. Just make sure you cover the background to it and the reasons for Fascism to develop. I think that would get you some marks...
    For Mussolini its fine as you can stop at 1926 when he is granted the power to rule by decree. For Hitler you should probably end it in 1934 when he becomes Fuhrer and Reich Chancellor. It depends on the question really. It could be just the general factors in the growth of fascist states or it could be how Hitler and Mussolini rise to assume dictatorial power.

Cheers ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Um.. i'm a bit confused.
    I was looking at the 2010 Exam papers for HL History, and Europe and the 'Wider World' (aka USA for me) topics were all under 1 section. YOu're supposed to answer 1 question on 2 topics. Is it compulsory to do one on European History AND one on Wider World History, or can you do, 2 on European history, as long as they are on different topics?
    There are two sections in the History course - 1. Ireland (North and South) and 2. Europe and the Wider World. You have to cover two books from each. This year the prescribed document question comes from Northern Ireland 1949-1993 meaing you have to do one other book from the Irish section (most people do Pursuit of Sovereignty 1912-1949). you then have to do two books from Europe and the Wider World - the USA is one of these books - there are five others. You do one essay (out of a choice of four) from each of the two books that you studied.
    Also..... i'm very freaked out over the History Exam cuz I have to cover all the books (i'm leaving out Irish History tho) this week.
    What do you mean by 'all the books'? - you will have two books from the Irish section (including the document question) and two from Europe and the wider world.
    How hard is it to get around 25? I'm counting on 15% from the Special Topic =\. If I do well on the Document Question, and get around 15% on that section, is it hard to get 10%? I know this is a difficult question, as it depends on how much you know... but just think of it in general. Would you have to know a lot of information about 2 topics to get 10%? Or is it relatively easy to get?
    If I was you I would not even consider trying to think of the exam in these terms - for example you are banking on getting 75% in the DBQ - yet the average mark for the DBQ is lower than this and if you feel you are going to struggle then you could get a lot less.

I would suggest that you spend a few minutes working out a plan to cover a number of topics from each of the three optional books - cover the three case studies from the Northern book and then stick to it. You shouldn't try to cover all the topics and if you are trying to make up for lost time then some of the lists above are as good as any.
    Ahh I honestly dont know what to do. Everytime I feel like I can leave out something, my mind tells me otherwise! I'm ending up covering everything!! I've covered almost everything to do with Mussolini, and on my way to doing that with Hitler!! :(

Have a look here and see if you can find anything useful

http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/

Each box in each handout is a potential paragraph in an essay - each slide in the powerpoint is a potential paragraph in an essay.

Remember to read the question - understand what you are being asked to do and then use the information you have to answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will belfast case study be up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Sorry, by all the books I meant all my books (not including NI Book), so 3 books. I'm planning on not doing Irish History altogether though, as I dont think it's realistic to cover that much in so little time, especially when I still have other subjects to study for.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, the advice and the link. I know the lists on this thread are very good guides, but my mind just keeps saying "What if this comes up, what if that doesn't" and it's driving me crazy. I don't feel in control at all, and that's not something that happens to me often.

Thanks once again :)

@ martyllia
    Your welcome. And wow, a C1 from doing so little? That doesnt even seem possible! Are you sure she didnt mean a D1 :eek:? I really hope your teacher is right..

@ martyllia
    Your welcome. And wow, a C1 from doing so little? That doesnt even seem possible! Are you sure she didnt mean a D1 :eek:? I really hope your teacher is right..

Each q is 20 %
    project is 20% ,NI q 20 %= 40% and then for 3 essays 7 for each = 21%
    61 %...well that's C3...i'm sure he said c1! well he's not great at maths then! :D
    But i's still c3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 CPFC IRL

Could Somebody post up an essay outline for The Reasons for The Rise Of Facism im stuck on around 3 pages of information cant find anymore relevant thing to says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Prinkle

@ martyllia

You'll get a little over 56%. Not sure what that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cant see somebody who is getting 35/100 in essays being able to get full marks in a document question :rolleyes:

Yup, it's a C3. I believe 55% is a D1.
    Well that's awesome :D Sure a C1 would be nice but heck, I just wanna pass!

@ AdamD
    There's no need to be so negative... this is just an estimate. I wanted to see what I need to pass, since 7% in each question is equal to a C3, than I don't even need to get full marks on anything. I'm quite aware of the fact I wont be getting full marks on my Special Topic or my Document Question, i'm not that naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Ive heard rumours the history of the movies is gonna come up.Not sure though.Ive leant 'Titanic' really well just in case.

• Advertisement

well the teacher said that it's possible cz you know what's commin up :) so if you study really well the 3 case studies then it's possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 babsgirl

aingel wrote: »
    Thought I was going to be able to get away with only doing bare minimum for History but after maths today it looks like I'm going to be cramming all weekend :confused::eek: disaster.

I know communism and facism
    For Ireland I know cumman na g but did awful in it in the pres
    America is a disaster. I don't even know where to start :(
    and colraine better come up :confused:
    I hate history.
    Love listening in class but the exam is a joke. Its a hundred times harder than almost any other subject. I think you should get double points or something for it. Compared to like Home Ec or Biology where literally learning off gets you marks. Its ridiculous the difference between subjects :/

yano i agree:) i did awful in the pres too,even though i put in the work,which is so frustrating:(...bring back des when we didnt know any better,eh?;)if montgomery isnt there i will cry.

I'm planning on not doing Irish History altogether though, as I dont think it's realistic to cover that much in so little time, especially when I still have other subjects to study for.
    This would be a mistake - it is much easier to pick up marks by attempting one of the essays from the Irish book, than by ignoring the section completely, not doing the question and hoping to pick up the same number of marks from the other two. It is much harder to get the same number of marks out of two sections than out of three. (if nothing else look at the comparison handouts between CnaG and FF in domestic, foreign and economic policies here - http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-handouts/#Ireland%201912-1949 )

but my mind just keeps saying "What if this comes up, what if that doesn't" and it's driving me crazy. I don't feel in control at all, and that's not something that happens to me often.
    That is why I suggested taking a few minutes - draw up a plan of study and stick to it - and then keep off the internet - it will sow doubts in your head. Come back after you are finished all your exams and discuss them all you want.

Its really not that difficult, you get marks for literally everything you write.

Thank you very much once again! I'm in the process of installing Microsoft Office, since all the other things I installed can't open the documents from that page :)
    I already blocked all other internet distractions until 5am on the 15th, including the main culprits (msn, hotmail, facebook, youtube and google), but left boards to get study tips. Not sure if i'll block it or what, since there's no turning back once you do it.

I'll try my best to cover the Irish topics as well... I guess Easter Rising and Home Rule Bill, and Fianna fail etc, will be kinda safe guesses.
    Will follow your 'get off the internet' advice once I download the files :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

Lads for the links on this threas wheneever i try to open them it just comes up a blank microsoft word?

bradleyboy wrote: »
    Lads for the links on this threas wheneever i try to open them it just comes up a blank microsoft word?
    I don't know why this is the case - it is saved on the site as an rtf file and should open with word without any difficulty (check and make sure you are not trying to open it with Works). If you can't open it then save the file onto your hard drive and try opening it from there.

If you are still having problems PM me with an email address and I will send you the handouts as a file attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Seaner1878

Ireland: C na G and FF hopefully but more than like Belfast during the war..1918 election/Rise of Sinn Fein would be grand aswell

Europe:Rise of Fascism,Nazi State,Soviet Economic Policy 1918-45

USA:Johnson and Vietnam and Effects of Montgomery bus boycott..I'd be careful with the wording of Qs in this section

This is my guess of whats coming up not what Iv studied.. I've studied my nuts off for History because I have to get a B2 at the very least!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 curious123x

is it one or two of the case studies from each book that appear for certain on the exam paper or just one?

babynice wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the there's a certain length the essays have to be? I mean if it was only about three pages long, would that matter as long as it has the right information?

each essay is marked out of ONLY five paragraphs therefore you only need at least that! then a certain % of the marks come from the quality of the essay itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

each essay is marked out of ONLY five paragraphs therefore you only need at least that! then a certain % of the marks come from the quality of the essay itself!

do you mean if you sepereated your essay into 5+ paragraphs would they condense it in to 5 and mark it that way? or would they stop correcting after reading 5 paragraphs ? seems a bit harsh ...

That would be wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

It's a cumulative Mark, it's extremely difficult to get 12 in a paragraph

That is completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Ive been told by my reliable teacher that intro and conclusion is worth 6 marks each so my question is... if i write a 12 mark introduction will they give me the 6 marks and ignore the rest or can they transfer those marks later on if i dont make up the 60 in my essay.. If i could get a definitive answer it'd be great cause i dont want to waste my time writing too long of an introduction (bear in mind that the intro im talking about is all very relevent to the essay - Hitler FP discussing his aims which are important in determining the success of his policies - so its not really background its genuinely integral to the essay) Any answers appreciated!

Really??? But that's how my pres were marked? So how do they mark the exam ?

Each paragraph is divided into 12 marks except for the intro and conclusion which are 6 each but like i said above i dont know how excess marks per paragraph are transferred (or if they are at all) but thats the gist of it anyway

You should probably aim for an intro 5 good paragraphs and a conclusion.. With enough srs in each paragraph youll be sorted

Every paragraph you write is marked out of 12.
    These marks are added up together to give you a maximum of 60.
    The examiner then judges your analysis and general essay out of 40.
    These 2 marks are added together to give you a mark out of 100.
    You can write as many paragraphs as you want, but if they are too short/on the same topic the examiner may group 2 paragraphs together.

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC004ALP000EV.pdf

• Advertisement

If someone has an essay comparing the two of these can you please send it will give email once you respond can give you essay comparing impact of WW2 on North/South if you need it
    Thanks

Advertisement