Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No matter how reliable or experienced or connected or fab your teacher is, they do not override the marking scheme as posted by AdamD above.

There is absolutely no mystery whatsoever as to how the JC and LC History exams are marked. It's open for everyone to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

That's great, thanks for the info AdamD... guess I won't have to worry about writing too much.

Would you lose marks if you covered more than what the question asks you to? My History Teacher told us that if we ever get stuck on a question and don't know what it's asking us/where to start and end, to just write everything we know on that topic, while making sure that you cover what the question is also asking. Would this be seen as 'not understanding the question' and be given a 0/deducted a crapload of marks, or would the examiners bear through it and just look at it as excessive amounts of unnecessary information?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Im running behind on my notes and essays - this is what I have:

US :
    Why get involved in Vietnam/ Why and how the us withdrew
    How successful was the policy of containment
    Containment during the cold war
    Collapse of consensus
    Troubled Affluence
    Economic crash
    Martin Luther King and Civil rights
    Domestic factors that affected US Foreign policy

I want to narrow this down as my study isnt going well because I keep thinking of other topics in the US. Which could I leave out of this list? Not doing the bus boycott FYI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Ireland Topic 3

- Social + Economic challenges in Ireland after WWII
    - The Treaty
    - Sinn Fein 1918 election
    - CnG and FF economic policys

Europe Topic 3

- Jarrow March / English Social + Economic challenges 1920-1939
    - Hitler's foreign policy
    - Hitler's rise to power
    - Propaganda + Nurembourg Rallies

America Topic 6

- Vietnam War
    - Civil rights
    - Montgomery bus boycott
    - collapse of concensus

If at least one of these don't come up in my topic in exam im in troube...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 vagi_bleeder

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Im running behind on my notes and essays - this is what I have:

US :
    Why get involved in Vietnam/ Why and how the us withdrew
    How successful was the policy of containment
    Collapse of consensus
    Troubled Affluence
    Economic crash
    Martin Luther King and Civil rights
    Domestic factors that affected US Foreign policy

I want to narrow this down as my study isnt going well because I keep thinking of other topics in the US. Which could I leave out of this list? Not doing the bus boycott FYI

I'm pretty much doing the same as that, I'll have a good idea of all of them anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

That's great, thanks for the info AdamD... guess I won't have to worry about writing too much.

Would you lose marks if you covered more than what the question asks you to? My History Teacher told us that if we ever get stuck on a question and don't know what it's asking us/where to start and end, to just write everything we know on that topic, while making sure that you cover what the question is also asking. Would this be seen as 'not understanding the question' and be given a 0/deducted a crapload of marks, or would the examiners bear through it and just look at it as excessive amounts of unnecessary information?
    As long as it's relevant to the question AND you're able to link it to the question at the end of the paragraph you'll get marks. I used to get down what seemed like the most irrelevant info and manage to get 8 marks because I was able to link it in.

I'm pretty much doing the same as that, I'll have a good idea of all of them anyway
    Yeah but I started the US new 3 months ago so wouldnt be as familar with it as I am with dictatorships or irish.

So....Anyone think I could leave out one or 2 things out of my list?:( Stressin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Would you lose marks if you covered more than what the question asks you to?
    No - you will not lose marks.
    My History Teacher told us that if we ever get stuck on a question and don't know what it's asking us/where to start and end, to just write everything we know on that topic, while making sure that you cover what the question is also asking.
    This is not quite accurate - You get a limited amount of marks for background and aftermath/future impact but most of the marks go for the topic of the question and the timeframe of the question.

E.G.
    'How succesful was Hitler's Foreign policy from 1933-1939?'
    You will get a some marks for taking about Hitler/Nazi views prior to coming to power - 'lebensraum' 'opposition to Treaty of Versailles' - and you will get some marks for the impact of the foreign policy during the war - but most of the marks will go specifically for what you write on Foreign policy in the timframe of 1933-1939.

Would this be seen as 'not understanding the question' and be given a 0/deducted a crapload of marks,
    No

Would it be ok to just cover :

Vietnam - why get involved, why withdraw
    How successful containment was
    Collapse of consensus

*Should I cover containment or economic decline?

Hitler Foreign Policy
    Rise of fascisim
    Anti Semitism
    Stalin show trials or Nazi propaganda?

Cng V FF economic policies
    Anglo Irish treaty 1921
    Compare N&S during ww2
    Belfast

Please help!!!:(:( Freaking out! Too many notes

Personally, I think he's a little off with Dictatorships ..... But thats just me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

Any Predictions for Ireland 1870-1914?? No one seems to be doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jibwholesale

spent a good while looking over past papers and deb and examcraft pre papers and ths is what i have have prepared
    pursuit of soverignitytreaty negotiations
    compare ff and cng economic policies or relations with britain
    cultural identity or euch congress (comes up nearly every yr)
    northern ireland domestic policies or during ww2 ( 1 always comes up)
    dictatorship and democracy
    stalins purges and show trials
    rise of fascism
    compare eco policies in ger and brit before ww2
    rise of hitler and foreign policy
    usa
    civil rights and boycott
    vietnam response in us and how it changed
    decline of cold war

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Any Predictions for Ireland 1870-1914?? No one seems to be doing it!

Case studies!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No - you will not lose marks.

Are you sure about this? 100% certain?

Because in my mocks it was specifically noted on my paper that I was deducted a lot of marks for lack of relevancy on certain topics....I know it's only the mocks but I'd expect some sort of link with the actual marking scheme, I think I lost around 15% for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

Ok this might be a stupid question but is there a set list of things you have to put in every essay you write? I've done all my notes out based on my book and other notes my teacher gave me, but looking around online there seems to be loads of stuff I don't have - I got A's in most essays I handed up over the last 2 years but there seems to be a lot I'm leaving out of a lot of essays/topics =S

• Registered Users Posts: 18 KandyVamp

I did dictatorship and democracy, nation states and movements for reform. Our teacher gave us a few predictions and as far as I know, everyone in my class is banking on them, myself included... I don't know if it's wise or not but sure it's a bit late for asking anyway!

Dictatorship and Democracy
    -Rise of fascism - Germany AND Italy
    -Propaganda - focus on Nurremburg Rallies but don't leave out Italy completely
    -Jarrow March - & lead up
    -Holocaust
    -Hitler's foreign policy

Nation States and International Tensions
    -Scientific Developments
    -Wilhelm/Bismarck - ALL (church state relations inclusive, there's ALWAYS been a Questions on them)
    -Imperialisation
    (Women during WWI and Church State relations were also tipped but shtate of them...)

Movements for Reform
    -Parnell and Home Rule - Specific focus on the 1885/86 election (it has NEVER come up by itself and it's a case study! Here's hoping :) )
    -GAA + GL - cultural nationalism...
    -1913 Strike and Lockout
    ^so basically just the case studies for those...

So, anyone doing those topics, do you think it's safe with those? Or could I drop any, even? (Especially from D+D...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

KandyVamp wrote: »
    I did dictatorship and democracy, nation states and movements for reform. Our teacher gave us a few predictions and as far as I know, everyone in my class is banking on them, myself included... I don't know if it's wise or not but sure it's a bit late for asking anyway!

Dictatorship and Democracy
    -Rise of fascism - Germany AND Italy
    -Propaganda - focus on Nurremburg Rallies but don't leave out Italy completely
    -Jarrow March - & lead up
    -Holocaust
    -Hitler's foreign policy

Nation States and International Tensions
    -Scientific Developments
    -Wilhelm/Bismarck - ALL (church state relations inclusive, there's ALWAYS been a Questions on them)
    -Imperialisation
    (Women during WWI and Church State relations were also tipped but shtate of them...)

Movements for Reform
    -Parnell and Home Rule - Specific focus on the 1885/86 election (it has NEVER come up by itself and it's a case study! Here's hoping :) )
    -GAA + GL - cultural nationalism...
    -1913 Strike and Lockout
    ^so basically just the case studies for those...

So, anyone doing those topics, do you think it's safe with those? Or could I drop any, even? (Especially from D+D...)

From these i'm only doing D&D and i've done the same thing apart from Jarrow March,i plan to look at it tomorrow :)
    our teacher said that hitler fp or anti semitism is guaranteed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Irish Sovereignty and Partition is the bane of my existence..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

I'm doin the promotion of cultural identity? does this include the eucharistic congress? :/

is there a maximum to how many paragraphs you can write?

• Advertisement

bradleyboy wrote: »
    is there a maximum to how many paragraphs you can write?

No. If they're too short or if they're on the same topic, the examiners may link them together and count them as 1 but there's definitely no max limit.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No. If they're too short or if they're on the same topic, the examiners may link them together and count them as 1 but there's definitely no max limit.
    Cool thanks! gettin nervous now i hope we get a nice paper! is most people doing american history? i'm doin nation states!

bradleyboy wrote: »
    Cool thanks! gettin nervous now i hope we get a nice paper! is most people doing american history? i'm doin nation states!

Yeah, I'm doing American history. Only thing is I haven't done any American study in weeks.....not nervous yet but luckily I don't do business.

i dont have any exams tomoro atall! exempt from irish! full day off to study for biology history and french! anyone do DCG?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

So freaked for this exam!

If you get a question on hitlers foreign policy, should you include WW2 or just the lead up and how the war was caused?

Gav77 wrote: »
    So freaked for this exam!

If you get a question on hitlers foreign policy, should you include WW2 or just the lead up and how the war was caused?

It depends on the time line given in the question, which it should definitely give!

martyllia wrote: »
    From these i'm only doing D&D and i've done the same thing apart from Jarrow March,i plan to look at it tomorrow :)
    our teacher said that hitler fp or anti semitism is guaranteed :D

I would LOVE if both of those questions came up! :P I hope they do because compared to my toehr topics, D+D is so awkward for predictions:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Case Studies is all I am studying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

I dont know why but every time I hear a question related to Foreign Policies my mind goes blank and I havent a clue what i'm supposed to talk about. It's not that idk the stuff, i just dont think i'm used to the question (as I usually just do essays rather than answer questions!).

I'm SO NERVOUS. Is there any topic that is guaranteed? Someone just said Hitler antisemitism and foreign policies, but is this for real?

Also what could you possibly write on an antisemitism essay? I mean, I know you'd talk about his hatred for the jews and the fact he blamed them for German's problems and saw them as scum of the earth and all that jazz.. but it seems like a load of waffle. Is there actual dates and laws and 'events' that you'd actually TALK about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Kristallnacht is one event to mention, could do a point on propaganda against Jews with films such as The Eternal Jew, The Nuremberg Laws too. I would give you dates for them but evidently I need to study that part..

Advertisement