Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

haha ^^^ tbh theres so much that could come up you've just got to accept that you've put in the work, hedge your bets and hope that there's a God! I'm betting you have more than enough covered outside of those to get you through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Noon_

Currently I have learned:

Irish Topic 3:

-Rise of Sinn Fein
    -Civil War
    -War of Independence
    -Fianna Fail in Power
    -Eucharistic Congress
    -Causes of Partition
    -South During WW2
    -Belfast Blitz
    -Anglo-Irish Relations
    -Anglo-Irish Treaty

Wider World Topic 3:

-Jarrow March & Social/Economic Issues in Britain
    -Hitler's Foreign Policy
    -Stalin's Internal and External Policies
    -Stalin and Lenin's contributions to Communism
    -Characteristics of Nazism

Wider World Topic 6:

-Montgomery Bus Boycott
    -Vietnam
    -Detente
    -Moon Landing
    -McCarthyism

Do I have enough essays for the topics? I didn't do some of the ones mentioned for favourite in this thread and I'm a ****ting it now. These essays are literally the only knowledge I have - anything outside any of these and I'm royally ****ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

HITLER FOREIGN POLICY must, has to come up.

Told my gran aunt to pray for that exactly tomorrow so thats what Im depending on ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

^Thats alot for Irish History! :O All I have is FF CnG Northern Ireland and the Treaty...should I be covered?

It's my worst topic so I covered a bit more than the others just in case... Well I focused on the Treaty a lot, hoping for that one the most, I didn't even do CnaG in much detail... Banking on FF policies and Sinn Fein! Hopefully you should be covered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Northern Ireland comes up every year though doesnt it? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tora.

Something about britain comes up every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Anyone else excited about getting absolutely smashed tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

hey who reckons eucharistic congress is comin up tomoro? or what irish history questions are comin up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krisityfer

Framble wrote: »
    My teacher was tipping "Was the Lockwood Committee's decision a sectarian conspiracy?"
    Gav77 wrote: »
    wtf??

There were minutes of a meeting in which prominent Derry Unionists met with O' Neill to discourage the situating of the uni in derry. They were mostly members of the loyal orders who feared that it would encourage catholic growth and prosperity in Derry and would put ther own unionist values under threat. This was revealed by a politician (Dr Robert Nixon, MP for Co. Down) who claimed that "nameless, faceless men" met with O' Neill. That politician was one of the two Unionist MPs who defied the party whip by voting against the results of the Lockwood committee, and he was later dismissed from the party. His accusations weren't proved true until the archives at Stormont were opened to historians many years later.
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    I dunno what it'll be...but I just want to know what kind of things you should bring in for those.

For missed opportunity go with the fact that it could have led to co-operation between unionists and nationalists. Hume said that the Govermnent surely couldn't refuse when the people of Derry and the people of Londonderry were united as one. It would also have restored some balance to N.I regarding the distribution of wealth and religion, i.e. it would be the first prosperous area with a Catholic minority.

For why wasn't it accepted, basically say that it's because Derry knew it was a missed opportunity, not only in terms of unionist/nationalist co-operation, but also for Derry economically.
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    Going by my mock, you're supposed to mention things from outside the case study.

Unfortunately, we didn't look at anything outside the case study, so if that is the case, I'm screwed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

and also, for anglo - irish relations should you include the economice war and the coal-cattle pact?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

krisityfer wrote: »
    There were minutes of a meeting in which prominent Derry Unionists met with O' Neill to discourage the situating of the uni in derry. They were mostly members of the loyal orders who feared that it would encourage catholic growth and prosperity in Derry and would put ther own unionist values under threat. This was revealed by a politician (Dr Robert Nixon, MP for Co. Down) who claimed that "nameless, faceless men" met with O' Neill. That politician was one of the two Unionist MPs who defied the party whip by voting against the results of the Lockwood committee, and he was later dismissed from the party. His accusations weren't proved true until the archives at Stormont were opened to historians many years later.

For missed opportunity go with the fact that it could have led to co-operation between unionists and nationalists. Hume said that the Govermnent surely couldn't refuse when the people of Derry and the people of Londonderry were united as one. It would also have restored some balance to N.I regarding the distribution of wealth and religion, i.e. it would be the first prosperous area with a Catholic minority.

For why wasn't it accepted, basically say that it's because Derry knew it was a missed opportunity, not only in terms of unionist/nationalist co-operation, but also for Derry economically.

Unfortunately, we didn't look at anything outside the case study, so if that is the case, I'm screwed...
    was it not Eddie McAteer MP who said that quote ? its in my book im nearly sure of it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mty92

so many people banking on montgomery it is puttin so much fear in me!!

many people cover mussolini?

I didnt bother look over apprentice boys or sunningdale during the year major regret!

bradleyboy wrote: »
    and also, for anglo - irish relations should you include the economice war and the coal-cattle pact?

Depends on the time frame, if it's in the years before WW2, that would come into yeah. You could get a good 2 paragraphs out of it about the refusal to pay land annuities, 20% import duties on both sides, decline of agriculture especially cattle farmers, outbreak of foot and mouth, slaughtering of cattle, then about the outcome - The Coal-Cattle pact as you mentioned, then strengthened by a subsequent treaty in which we got the treaty ports back, 10 million one off payment and how relations became better as a result. If the question suits, you could use this as a spring board into how Ireland could stay neutral during the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krisityfer

was it not Eddie McAteer MP who said that quote ? its in my book im nearly sure of it ..
    No, it was definitely Robert Nixon. Maybe you're thinking of Edward Daly who referenced the "Faceless men" in his memoirs. Do you have that big "Modern Ireland" book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shan007

Okay, I'm terrified of whats going to be on this paper tomorrow. This is what I've learned

Ireland Sovereignty and Partition:

Cultural identity north and south and Eucharistic Congress
    Treaty Negotiations and Civil War
    Rise of Sinn Fein
    Economic policies of CnaG and Fianna Fail
    Bombing of Belfast and impact of WW2

Dictatorship and Democracy:

Rise and characteristics of fascism Italy and Germany
    Nazi state..everything Hitler related except foreign policy
    Lenin and Stalin contribution to communism and show trials
    Jarrow march and British economy

USA:

Consensus and collapse of consensus.. youth culture, counter culture etc.
    Religion, mass media and mass higher education in American society
    Foreign Policy - Berlin, Korea, Cuba, Vietnam War.
    Foreign Policy - detente and decline of cold was certainties

COLERAINE!

Will I have at least one essay in each section with this? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

shan007 wrote: »
    Okay, I'm terrified of whats going to be on this paper tomorrow. This is what I've learned

Ireland Sovereignty and Partition:

Cultural identity north and south and Eucharistic Congress
    Treaty Negotiations and Civil War
    Rise of Sinn Fein
    Economic policies of CnaG and Fianna Fail
    Bombing of Belfast and impact of WW2

Dictatorship and Democracy:

Rise and characteristics of fascism Italy and Germany
    Nazi state..everything Hitler related except foreign policy
    Lenin and Stalin contribution to communism and show trials
    Jarrow march and British economy

USA:

Consensus and collapse of consensus.. youth culture, counter culture etc.
    Religion, mass media and mass higher education in American society
    Foreign Policy - Berlin, Korea, Cuba, Vietnam War.
    Foreign Policy - detente and decline of cold was certainties

COLERAINE!

Will I have at least one essay in each section with this? :/

Definitely. Im learning about half that and I'm confident of still doing well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

I've been doing higher level up to now but I dont think I have put in near enough study coming up to the exams so I'm thinking of doing ordinary tomorrow. Does anyone have any tips for ordinary (what is different in the exam format to higher level, how much to write for each question, general tips, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

If you fail history does it make a difference? That sounds stupid I know :-P Will you just not get any points for it, I mean it won't affect getting into college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

@ babynice
    Yes :) it wont as long as your course doesnt have History as a requirement! You need 5 to pass, and count your best 6.. so if you have 5, you're grand. Hope you dont fail tho.. wud be much nicer to pass :)

• Advertisement

babynice wrote: »
    If you fail history does it make a difference? That sounds stupid I know :-P Will you just not get any points for it, I mean it won't affect getting into college?

Most courses have grade requirements as well as points and for most you need to get at least a D3 in everything except your seventh subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 KandyVamp

babynice wrote: »
    Don't worry, if won't affect getting into college at all (apart from the whole points things obviously).

KandyVamp wrote: »
    Don't worry, if won't affect getting into college at all (apart from the whole points things obviously).

Really? Even if it's specified? The website for the course I want (Animation at IADT) says this:
    What are the entry requirements?

• Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent) with a minimum of Grade C3 in two Higher (or Common) Level papers, together with Grade D3 in four other subjects, to include English and Ordinary Level Mathematics or Higher level Mathematics. Foundation Level Mathematics is acceptable
    • A portfolio of relevant work
    • You may be called for interview if further clarification on your portfolio is required
    • Applicants with FETAC awards require distinctions in 3 (of 8) modules
    Would it be that important if I didn't get a D3 in one subject if it was higher level?I definitely haver enough points already, I'm confident about every other subject and I'm sure I could pass ordinary level history, but I would like to chance higher level history (quite a big risk). Can anyone help me out on the rules here?

Also, I just realised I have definitely passed foundation Irish (Foundation because I hate Irish and I was sure it would be my 7th subject). Would this be suitable if I failed history?

If anyone could help me out I would be eternally grateful. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

I'll be avoiding Vietnam like the plague... if Boycott isn't there, I'm screwed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I'll be avoiding Vietnam like the plague... if Boycott isn't there, I'm screwed...

why? Vietnam is quite likely to come up, im prettysure if it does it will be a question on why the US got involved in Vietnam

Would like MMB aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dougal.Maguire

Iceboy wrote: »
    why? Vietnam is quite likely to come up, im prettysure if it does it will be a question on why the US got involved in Vietnam

Would like MMB aswell
    really, would you say Vietnam would come up ? was going to leave that 1 out as running out of time and it came up last year didnt it ? :confused:

I. Am. Pissed. Beyond. Belief:mad:
    I think 'destiny' or 'faith' wants me to fail at my damn exams, EVERYTHING went wrong. Was writing notes up to 1 am.. figured I cudn't get them done so decided 'Hey, let me go install my sis's BRAND new printer/scanner'. Fair enough.. had to read all the instructions.. thats understandable even tho they were totally in wtf language. THEN ofc, the USB entrance HAD to be different.. went on a hunt to find some cables.. cudn't find the bag with my dad's cables -_- finally after 20 minutes I found it. THEN I went and installed it. And uninstalled it. And installed it. Needless to say, it's 4 damn am and nothing. NOTHING. I have no notes. And my study time for french was wasted on that printer. NOW I have to write off my french notes and MAKE UP more since all I have is a response to Racism in Ireland. I'm praying that my teachers will let me print my history notes off evernote.
    And I have to wake up at 6:30. I've OFFICIALLY failed, and am so tired and stressed that I feel like crying and hibernating until next week. For real.

Had to rant after all this. Time to study damn french at 4:20 am. Lovely.

I. Am. Pissed. Beyond. Belief:mad:
    I think 'destiny' or 'faith' wants me to fail at my damn exams, EVERYTHING went wrong. Was writing notes up to 1 am.. figured I cudn't get them done so decided 'Hey, let me go install my sis's BRAND new printer/scanner'. Fair enough.. had to read all the instructions.. thats understandable even tho they were totally in wtf language. THEN ofc, the USB entrance HAD to be different.. went on a hunt to find some cables.. cudn't find the bag with my dad's cables -_- finally after 20 minutes I found it. THEN I went and installed it. And uninstalled it. And installed it. Needless to say, it's 4 damn am and nothing. NOTHING. I have no notes. And my study time for french was wasted on that printer. NOW I have to write off my french notes and MAKE UP more since all I have is a response to Racism in Ireland. I'm praying that my teachers will let me print my history notes off evernote.
    And I have to wake up at 6:30. I've OFFICIALLY failed, and am so tired and stressed that I feel like crying and hibernating until next week. For real.

Had to rant after all this. Time to study damn french at 4:20 am. Lovely.

You really shouldn't have been wasting your time installing a bleedin printer the night before two very important exams in your leaving. I'm sort of in the same boat as you in regards to topics covered in the history, I have been cramming all day, i wont even be going to sleep tonight (slept for a few hours earlier) goin to continue studyin history until 7 then do french for a good 2 hours then off to exams...gonna be a fun day

I know... but I had over 18 pages left to write on 6 different topics... no way I could've finished that. Can't believe it's already getting bright. I feel pretty hopeless :o soon im off to take my bath.
    Sorry to hear you're in that situation as well... sucks big time. Ah well, I cant blame anyone but myself. Best of luck to all the sleeping historians in the making :D how I wish I could be in my bed right now...

• Advertisement

I know... but I had over 18 pages left to write on 6 different topics... no way I could've finished that. Can't believe it's already getting bright. I feel pretty hopeless :o soon im off to take my bath.
    Sorry to hear you're in that situation as well... sucks big time. Ah well, I cant blame anyone but myself. Best of luck to all the sleeping historians in the making :D how I wish I could be in my bed right now...

Instead of writing out essays on all those topics you could just glance over them in your book and read over them a couple of times, you might say ''well that will neve stick'' but since there is only a matter of hours before the exam you would be surprised what yo remember. I have only written one essay for history study, i just use the revise wise book which is basicaly full of mini essays and i have been reading over loads of important topics all day and alot of it has actually stuck :D best of luck anyway

Advertisement