Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Leaving cert history - predictions / aftermath * (1 thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Yeah.. honestly i'd totally agree with you. But the only History study i've done since beginning of 5th year was from the 13th to today. 2 days, and reading over notes that I have 0 clue on, as I slept throughout and missed most classes, wont stick in my head at all. It wud if i just needed a quick 'reminder'. Well too late now, most things have gone out my head. My brain is too cluttered :D
    Thanks, and best of luck to you too. You shud be resting, or else you're gonna be under an awful lot of stress during your exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

Been up since 4:20 too :( at least I don't have French, extra few hours to study. How long are ye spending on each essay? I had been told to get it under 35 minutes but I think i'd be safe if that went to 40, I don't imagine needing 45 minutes for the Document question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

njd2010 wrote: »
    Been up since 4:20 too :( at least I don't have French, extra few hours to study. How long are ye spending on each essay? I had been told to get it under 35 minutes but I think i'd be safe if that went to 40, I don't imagine needing 45 minutes for the Document question...

around 38,when i spend 38 i'll move to another q,and then come back to it if i have time :)

anyone have any patterns which q you answer first or are doin them in the order they are on the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Best of luck to everyone cramming. I am blessed to have a brother who did very well in History two years who made me go over essays with him 2 weeks ago. Have 7 very good ones and about 4 back ups, will go over 2/3 more.

I really have a bad feeling France is going to come up, Third Party or Vichy and this is the ONE exam I've not revised it for. I might today...
    Please show up
    247082_105648826196550_100002542987608_50133_1427289_n.jpg

martyllia wrote: »
    anyone have any patterns which q you answer first or are doin them in the order they are on the paper?

I'm doing them in order of easiest to hardest, with the documents Q last. Might not be the best order but it worked during the Pre's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CF_Hoop

Anyone doing Nation States or Movements for reform? I seem to be the only one on here doing them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Anyone else bricking it right about now? Seriously considering dropping to OL

Kind of panicking, but excited that in a few hours all this bull**** will be over. I would almost drop to ordinary level but the questions tipped for them seem to be different to whats supposedly coming up for us

Yeah I think it's just going be a case of plowing through and hoping for a generous paper. *fingers Crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

SO much information :(

been plowing through my revise wiise book but still it'll be hit or miss of weather im studying the correct things

• Advertisement

Ah well just hope Mr.Bradys handouts are paying off. I've about 10 of them, One on hitler, another one Cumman Na NGeadhal and Fianna Fail and others on everything else don' know which to study though

Guess I'm the first one back? I couldn't stay there. There was too much of a chance I was going to throw up if I kept looking at that Irish section. Hadn't done any of it.

Kind of got through the characteristics of Nazi Germany essay, and basically did a Boycott essay with King's name thrown in a lot which will be worth diddly squat. And the apprentice boys... Why. Why the apprentice boys. I've always been an A student in History but I'll be lucky to pass. My other results mean nothing now, I won't get the course I wanted unless it drops by 100 points.

Crap.

Anyway, thanks for all your help with History guys, hope ye do better than I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

njd2010 wrote: »

Kind of got through the characteristics of Nazi Germany essay, and basically did a Boycott essay with King's name thrown in a lot which will be worth diddly squat.

^ This. And a rather sparse one on CnG democracy. Can't say there was an essay in the bunch I was proud of, but I really do not care now, because the ordeal is ooooover :) I was never going to count History for points, particularly after that lovely Irish paper, so it means nothing now except for that I will never have to trawl through that drivel again. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

That was a Cnut of a paper. If I wrote about racial conflict with Martin luther kings name through it, would I get any marks?:/

I done Eamon De Valera got 5 pages on him, don't know how.

Done Vietnam and Moon Landing. Vietnam was ok but jasus couldn't think of anything for the moon landing

Also done the Nazi Thingy which was bleh.

I got told THat Apprentice boys wouldn't come up on Higher Level and of course it did ¬¬

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Welshman666

didn't mind paper too much.

I knew the apprecntice boys fairly ok for the Q4.

For ireland I did Q1 , and wrote a very small bit on Pearse, then wrote loads about Griffith's Sinn Fein etc etc

For Europe: I did the Nazi state Question, wrote about propaganda, anti-semmitism etc...

For US: Why did Us lose Vietam and moon. Wrote bascialy anything that came to my head lol, Tet offensive etc...then wrote random moon stuff. (was very random question)

Overall not the best essays ive done, but nor the worst. I have content but my coherence may come down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Such a horrendous paper.

Did the De Valera question
    Characteristics of Nazi state
    American Presidents

Got 21 pages written in the end so hopefully did well but unsure about the A now :/

Completely panicked when I saw the american and irish essay titles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I think I'm not the only one who did this:

1.Apprentice boys
    2.Cumann na nGaelheal + democracy.
    3.Characteristics of Nazi state
    4.Vietnam or Martin Luther King.

Instead of what should have been on the paper:

1.Colraine
    2.Easter Rising
    3.Hitlers forign policy/Anti semitism
    4.Monty bus boycott.

FFS. I really needed an A. Feel's like I've been screwed over by the SEC twice.... :( (Maths P1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I was really hoping Vietnam or Korea would come up for the American topic. Really annoyed about that. Pretty much none of the topics I knew best came up.

Oh well. Still wrote 12 pages for pass. Got an A in the mocks, maybe Ill get a B for this. I hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

It was a fairly hard paper, write about 15 pages. Sickened that Martin Luther King showed up over the Boycott but I managed to throw in the Boycott and a few of those marches and stuff. Irish section didn't give much choice either so had to go with the one on Whitaker and Gay Byrne. I was delighted with Hitler!
    How much did ye write?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

GSI wrote: »
    That was a Cnut of a paper. If I wrote about racial conflict with Martin luther kings name through it, would I get any marks?:/

I bloody hope so :p Cos that's basically what I did. Basically just talked about his involvement in the boycot and how that inspired other blacks throughout america to get involved in civil rights e.g sit ins. Then I went on about the birmingham and washington marches and how they led to further civil rights for blacks. Bit **** though cos I had to do nearly three quarters of a page in points :/

Russia was a super question, wrote a good 5 pages on that :D Would instilling terror in society through the purges count as a social change btw?

Document was ugly :/ Wrote a lot of crap but I think I got my point across. Said to unionists it was important for culture but for nationalists it symbolised discrimination.

Cumann na ngael question was alright too. Just talked about how they used tough methods and force to ensure that democracy in Ireland wasn't threatened. Do you think that should cover me?

Overall I'm a tiny bit disappointed because I came out of the mock completely buzzing but over all I'm just delighted it's over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

So what did everyone think of History.

I answered on de Valera in Irish history, Lenin and Stalin in European as well as the Moon landing and Vietnam war in American.

But my teacher told us for months not to study the Moon landing because it came up last year and was unlikely for this year, so I'm happy I studied the topics:)

Oh and I DIDN'T GET IT FINISHED !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CF_Hoop

Did Apprentice Boys, James Larkin and the Strike and Lockout, Developments in Science, Technology and Medicine and the Jarrow question. Thought it was a good exam, probably because what I studied well came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

I bloody hope so :p Cos that's basically what I did. Basically just talked about his involvement in the boycot and how that inspired other blacks throughout america to get involved in civil rights e.g sit ins. Then I went on about the birmingham and washington marches and how they led to further civil rights for blacks. Bit **** though cos I had to do nearly three quarters of a page in points :/
    )

I'd say we will get good cumulative marks but will fall in the overall evaluation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 UL

The papers definitely screwed me over for my first choice anyway :( They could have picked easier topics to be honest. I was hoping for an A with all the work I'd done but now I'll be happy to get a bloody C :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I think I'm not the only one who did this:

1.Apprentice boys
    2.Cumann na nGaelheal + democracy.
    3.Characteristics of Nazi state
    4.Vietnam or Martin Luther King.

Instead of what should have been on the paper:

1.Colraine
    2.Easter Rising
    3.Hitlers forign policy/Anti semitism
    4.Monty bus boycott.

FFS. I really needed an A. Feel's like I've been screwed over by the SEC twice.... :( (Maths P1)

Your joking right ? There's so guarantee in any subject. You weren't screwed by anyone. Its your own fault if you weren't prepared.

I thought it was a fair enough paper. The irish section was challenging but I was able to do the q on northern ireland. I just talked about the aftermath of the wall street crash and world war 2. Apart from that I did the question on stalin and the question on vietnam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shan007

I panicked when I saw the paper first but once i started writing it wasn't too bad. Only had 2 choices for Ireland.. I dont the first one with one paragraph on Pearse in the rising then the rest on griffith with sinn fein and the treaty.

Europe was lovely, did the characteristics of the nazi state. Most of it was on propaganda and dictatorship though, I hope thats okay.

I did the one on Billy Graham and Marilyn Monroe for America. I dont know how but I managed to get 5 pages on it.. would I get marks for including background on religion in the 1950's and a small bit on consensus?

The documents question wasn't too bad but I only had time to write 2 pages on the Apprentice Boys.. I talked about how the marches were important for the unionists cultural identity and how it reminded catholics of their second class citizenship and discrimination.. I hope I answered that properly.

Overall not a bad paper. I didn't get an A but hopefully a B :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Sorry to be the negative ender.

I'm delighted.

Naval Policy till 1914. YES.

Characteristics of Nazi State. Totaliterianism, Anti Semitisim. YES

How did 1922-32 cons democracy. Crushing to see. I didn't revise it as well i should have and only mustered a pathetic two pages including Army Mutiny, Ardnacrasha ( Shouldn't even be there ) and how W.T Stepped aside.

For someone who has struggled with History, to see get Naval Policy in there and Totaliterianism. I'm delighted. Really really delighted.

Was a tough paper though, i noticed only ONE question on the whole thing had to what extent...seems like they're phasing that one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I was tipping anti semitism and hitler foreign policy before hand was surprised they didn't come up but managed to work anti semitism into characteristics of Nazi state along with propaganda.. Did MLK and Northern Ireland for the other two.... And Apprentice Boys I was surprised by, but it was better than Sunningdale v2

Advertisement