Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Maths paper 2 (Ordinary) tips / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

• 10-06-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Anybody got any tips??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

Yeah im worried bout paper two after todays excuse for an exam.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

This has loads of good tips for studying for maths .

http://www.rte.ie/exams/maths.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

I left my exam papers in school, gonna print off some tomorrow to study, but I was wondering how much marks are going for the vectors question? Like the option in general? Is it the same as a normal question?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

lisabisa wrote: »
    I left my exam papers in school, gonna print off some tomorrow to study, but I was wondering how much marks are going for the vectors question? Like the option in general? Is it the same as a normal question?
    yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Anybody planning on doing the Geometry question? (Q4)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

lisabisa wrote: »

yup 50 marks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

Which of the 4 options would be the easiest?
    Further Geometry
    Vectors
    Further Sequences and Series
    Linear Inequalities and Linear Programming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

Dbstf wrote: »
    Further Geometry
    Vectors

we've done only vectors! :( it's not bad...bit simmilar to q 4 on paper 1! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Further Geometry
    Vectors

Linear programming definitely. Did vectors last year and couldn't wrap my head around it at all. With LP I have a chance of actually passing!

Dbstf wrote: »
    Further Geometry
    Vectors

I think linear programming. I was awful at it before I didn't even know how to start it as I hadn't learnt it properly. I've only learnt how to do that question last week , after getting my teacher to go over it. It's quite simple once you get the hang of it. The questions are usually similar .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Can someone help me. I am currently doing some maths paper 2 study I am doing 2009 q6 c(iv) and i am having some trouble with the last question.
    It states:3 boys and 2 girls are seated in a row as a group. in how many different ways can the group be seated if - the 2 girls must be seated beside each other,
    I checked the marking schemes and the answer was 4! x 2! = 48
    Can someone please explain why it is 4! x 2! ?????? :)

And one final question on Linear programming when you are doing out the part where you need to find which combination of items is the best for profit and stuff how do you know which points to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

C__ wrote: »
    Can someone help me. I am currently doing some maths paper 2 study I am doing 2009 q6 c(iv) and i am having some trouble with the last question.
    It states:3 boys and 2 girls are seated in a row as a group. in how many different ways can the group be seated if - the 2 girls must be seated beside each other,
    Five people ok? If two MUST BE beside each other. Take them as one person. So there's only 4 left. Which gives 4!
    But remember, those two people can be sitting in different ways. It can Be John on the left and Mary on the right, or vice versa. Because they can switch places, its multiplied by 2!

Say if there were 6 people. And 3 had to be beside each other. Take the three as one group. So there's only 4 people (3 by themselves, and the group) which can be arranged in 3! ways. But the group of people itself can be arranged in 3! ways too.
    So you get 4! x 3!
    Geddit?

PJelly wrote: »
    Five people ok? If two MUST BE beside each other. Take them as one person. So there's only 4 left. Which gives 4!
    But remember, those two people can be sitting in different ways. It can Be John on the left and Mary on the right, or vice versa. Because they can switch places, its multiplied by 2!

Say if there were 6 people. And 3 had to be beside each other. Take the three as one group. So there's only 4 people (3 by themselves, and the group) which can be arranged in 3! ways. But the group of people itself can be arranged in 3! ways too.
    So you get 3! x 3!
    Geddit?

Awh i thank you sir. :)
    I only started probability last week and this was the part i kinda had trouble with but i get it now thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

And one final question on Linear programming when you are doing out the part where you need to find which combination of items is the best for profit and stuff how do you know which points to use?

you have to do out a table of all 4 points from the graph and multiply the x value by each x point and the y value by each y point. add them together and the value that ends up being the highest is the profit.

eg: 90 of type x and 100 of type y; (0,0) (50,0) (0,40) (20,30)
    90 x 0= 0 100 x 0= 0 x+y=0
    90 x 50= 4500 100 x 0= 0 x+y= 4500
    90 x 0= 0 100 x 40= 4000 x+y= 4000
    90x 20= 1800 100 x 30= 3000 x+y= 4800
    highest is 4800 so profit is 4800 euro with 20 of type x and 30 of type y needed.

you have to do out a table of all 4 points from the graph and multiply the x value by each x point and the y value by each y point. add them together and the value that ends up being the highest is the profit.

eg: 90 of type x and 100 of type y; (0,0) (50,0) (0,40) (20,30)
    90 x 0= 0 100 x 0= 0 x+y=0
    90 x 50= 4500 100 x 0= 0 x+y= 4500
    90 x 0= 0 100 x 40= 4000 x+y= 4000
    90x 20= 1800 100 x 30= 3000 x+y= 4800
    highest is 4800 so profit is 4800 euro with 20 of type x and 30 of type y needed.

I get this part but the part i am on about is how do you know which points to choose from your graph?
    i was doing one tonight and i didnt know which points to choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There'll be a region bounded by the x and y axes and the lines you've drawn in. The corner points (usually 4) of this region are the points you take.

Ficheall wrote: »
    There'll be a region bounded by the x and y axes and the lines you've drawn in. The corner points (usually 4) of this region are the points you take.

Ok thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Feel confidant on Q1,4 and 5 atm

need to know 3 more by monday

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

i need to get around 270 marks outa 300 in this paer after the disaster on friday!

dear god i hope i get it! paper 2 was always gonna be my better paper but paper 1 was worse than i expected. anyone else feel this way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 daex

C__ wrote: »
    BBBGGG

B B B GG - consider the girls as one.

now there's four places. .. x .. x .. x .. (four places)
    4 x 3 x 2 x 1= 24
    then because the two girls can be seated in two different places
    you multiple 24 x2=24

i need to get around 270 marks outa 300 in this paer after the disaster on friday!

dear god i hope i get it! paper 2 was always gonna be my better paper but paper 1 was worse than i expected. anyone else feel this way?

I was expecting to to able to do question at least 4 full questions I didn't even get one and failed that paper. . I hope they won't give us a hard paper 2. Could you imagine if simpson rule didn't come up. I need to get 6 full questions to pass now.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I asked this on another thread but I don't know what page it was on :P

So, since it doesn't specify to us to use 3.14 or 22/7 for Pi, can I just put down the symbol for Pi on my answer and use the Pi button on my calculator? I usually do this.

Also, does anyone know if the Unit Circle for Trigonometry is worth knowing, I don't understand it. And do you think the Compound Angle formulas will come up? Haven't came up yet as far as I know.

I have to attempt all every part in this. I decided not to do the second Algebra question on Paper 1 to do Q6 and I kind of messed that up.

[/B]
    I was expecting to to able to do question at least 4 full questions I didn't even get one and failed that paper. . I hope they won't give us a hard paper 2. Could you imagine if simpson rule didn't come up. I need to get 6 full questions to pass now.

If they do that, especially after no first principles, there will be war....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Aaron547

Will there be formulas i cant find in the log tables?

How do i fin a perimeter of a square when and there i a circle in the square with the radius of 9cm?

also the above question is 2010 p2 q1 a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Leaving out Geometry and Trigonometry, it'll be fine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Aaron547 wrote: »

How do i fin a perimeter of a square when and there i a circle in the square with the radius of 9cm?

The only reason the circle is there in that question is to see if you can figure out that the distance across the square is twice 9, which is 18.

The perimeter of any shape is just the distance around the edge. A square whose sides ar 18cm long has perimeter 18+18+18+18 = 72cm.

A square is just a special kind of rectangle, so its area is just (length X width) = 18 x 18 = 324 cm^2.

Aaron547 wrote: »

Well the one side of the square is double the radius the circle and a square has 4 equal sides, it would be 18 x 4=72

Answers and solutions for all questions since 1996 (no solutions for 2011 yet, just answers). http://www.studentxpress.ie/ordinary/ordarith.htm

And I don't think there are any formulas you need that aren't in the tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    I asked this on another thread but I don't know what page it was on :P

So, since it doesn't specify to us to use 3.14 or 22/7 for Pi, can I just put down the symbol for Pi on my answer and use the Pi button on my calculator? I usually do this.
    What I usually do for those shape questions is treat Pi like an x and work around it until I get something like 1537.50pi cm^3 for example. I'll post an example if you're confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

Any help with this question ? :

p(3, 0) is a point.
    t and s are two distinct points on the y-axis and |pt| = |ps| = 5.
    (i) Find the co-ordinates of t and the co-ordinates of s.

Advertisement