Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Maths paper 2 (Ordinary) tips / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

xaoifsx wrote: »
    im excatly the same!! i usually can't do it but i did it with perfection today!:D

I was suspicious tbh :P...

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Looks like im the only one on the fail wagon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

I was suspicious tbh :P...

yes i was at first..but then i thought back to a question that i did in the papers and there was a question sorta like it..apart from the letter arranging part..i felt i was so lucky with this question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

babynice wrote: »
    In the middle of paper 2 I realised that I never put the question number on any of my graphs in paper 1. I left the graphs in the with the corresponding questions but does this matter? :(

Ha! Only realised i never did this today.Ara, Im sure they can tell the difference between a circle and Cumulative frequency graph..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Regards probability actually..... I was gonna do it as a last resort because it's either wrong or right and i usually get it wrong :o. But ended up doing it as an extra question anyways. But was it ridiculousy easy? Coz like.. I had it done in 5 minutes (and im abit edgy about it now coz it was too easy..or i did it wrong :P )

Yeah, it was pretty simple. I sat there just staring at it wondering if I must be missing something because it was so straightfoward. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I made a few stupid mistakes in it. I couldn't figure out how to draw the co-ordinate diagram for the circle I didn't think it looked right. Then I got to linear programming I couldn't work out the second equation. An the cumulative frequency table spent ages on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Regards probability actually..... I was gonna do it as a last resort because it's either wrong or right and i usually get it wrong :o. But ended up doing it as an extra question anyways. But was it ridiculousy easy? Coz like.. I had it done in 5 minutes (and im abit edgy about it now coz it was too easy..or i did it wrong :P )
    Cant help feeling i made a mess of that question somehow...surely it wasent as easy as it seemed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Can't wait to see some solutions, I'm a bit worried about my part C of probability, was getting some crazy fractions that wouldn't simplify.
    Though that said, I can't see how I could possibly be wrong either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

._. wrote: »
    Can't wait to see some solutions, I'm a bit worried about my part C of probability, was getting some crazy fractions that wouldn't simplify.

My answers wouldn't simplify either... :/ worried me.

446 over 893 for Q6 Ci anyone?

• Advertisement

446 over 893 for Q6 Ci anyone?

Thats I got that I thought I was doing something wrong. So I think I crossed out the answer thinking the number didn't seem right :S.

I ended up leaving the question , I thought I was doing something wrong not able to get the answers to simplify. Then the numbers being really big .

I only did the 6 questions :\
    I'm pretty sure they made the answers like that to throw people and make them think they're wrong. I'm sure the same people as before will have the answers up in the next day or two anyway, nothing we can do but wait :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Was I the only one who looked at those huge Q. 6 answers and saw it as a good thing?

The way I see it, they added in a lot of thinking-outside-the-box type questions for Q. 5, so they simplified Q. 6 for us by taking out the whole simplify-down aspect!

Fbjm wrote: »
    Was I the only one who looked at those huge Q. 6 answers and saw it as a good thing?

The way I see it, they added in a lot of thinking-outside-the-box type questions for Q. 5, so they simplified Q. 6 for us by taking out the whole simplify-down aspect!

I just saw them as "not 100% sure if correct".

I knew never learning Trigonometry would be a good idea :D
    I swear i'll lose it if I have to do it next year in college..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

I ended up leaving the question , I thought I was doing something wrong not able to get the answers to simplify. Then the numbers being really big .

did the same thing! everything was sound until the big answers :( anyway ,i did this q as an extra,hopefully i did well in the first 5

You know for the circle question 3bi) where you had to draw a graph.
    Was the points you had to plot? (0,0) (7,-2)

and the equation for linear programming was it? Q 11b
    20,000x + 40,000y < 800,000
    an the 2nd
    18x + 24y < 576
    Just wondering about the 2nd line didn't think that was it as the first was big and then the others had small numbers so left the question

No, it was (3, -1) (<-- the centre), and (7, -2) (<-- point on the circle).
    If the equation of the circle isn't x^2+y^2=r^2 then the centre isn't (0, 0)
    Sorry :(

No, it was (3, -1) (<-- the centre), and (7, -2) (<-- point on the circle).
    If the equation of the circle isn't x^2+y^2=r^2 then the centre isn't (0, 0)
    Sorry :(

oh right thanks no wonder I couldn't get the graph to look right. The question really confused me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mattt

any solutions yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

and the equation for linear programming was it? Q 11b
    20,000x + 40,000y < 800,000
    an the 2nd
    18x + 24y < 576
    Just wondering about the 2nd line didn't think that was it as the first was big and then the others had small numbers so left the question

Ah that almost got me... but you just divide the top equation by 10000 to get
    2x + 4y<80

And then the second one divide by 6 so....
    3x + 4y < 96

Easy and then carry on as normal...

166man wrote: »
    Ah that almost got me... but you just divide the top equation by 10000 to get
    2x + 4y<80

And then the second one divide by 6 so....
    3x + 4y < 96

Easy and then carry on as normal...

ah I forgot you had to divide them. I only learnt how to do linear programming last week. I must have done easier questions. Most of the ones had the two equations in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Guys lets say I fail ordinary maths, which basially means no college, can I do the maths exam next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Iceboy wrote: »
    Guys lets say I fail ordinary maths, which basially means no college, can I do the maths exam next year?
    As a college requirement as opposed to for points?

Yes, these don't have to be in the same year except for one or two restricted courses like medicine.

Some colleges also offer a special maths "make-up" exam later in the summer.

But for now, forget about it and concentrate on your other papers. You may find that you have done better than you think! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

That Trig question was similar to the arithmetic from Paper 1. Some lovely stuff in it and i found part ii before part i in the triangle with 35, Angle and 62.:D

The paper 2 solutions are up :D

http://www.studentxpress.ie/ordinary/ordarea.htm
    Click "Questions" and the quick answers to them are at the bottom, navigate to different topics at the left side of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Probability answers are wrong, should be over the amount of boy or girls, not the whole amount

Gav77 wrote: »
    Probability answers are wrong, should be over the amount of boy or girls, not the whole amount
    Why?
    "A student is picked at random. What is the probability that the student is a boy?"
    Therefor, number of boys over total number of students..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

A boy is picked at random.
    What is the probability that he cycles to school?

So you have the boy firstly.
    Then, whats the probability that he cycles to school? Implies that it's out of all the boys.

• Advertisement

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    So you have the boy firstly.
    Then, whats the probability that he cycles to school? Implies that it's out of all the boys.

The answer to that one is 123 over 446. Ie, the number of boys who cycle over the number of boys in total.
    Looks legit to me.

Advertisement