Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Beerfest 2011!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

paddyandy wrote: »
    If i can believe there will be some real beer there i might think about it at least.Warm beer from the wood like the kind that's impossible to get.How many know what i'm on about?Very few i imagine.

Impossible to get? Invisible beer maybe? Otherwise that sounds like cask beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

BeerNut wrote: »
    Deveney's Dundrum.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

From what I can see, the website does not say what's included in the ticket price this year ? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

If i can believe there will be some real beer there i might think about it at least.Warm beer from the wood like the kind that's impossible to get.How many know what i'm on about?Very few i imagine.

One would imagine that "impossible to get" stuff will be fairly thin on the ground.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Warm beer from the wood
    Anyone serving you warm cask beer is doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Good ale/beer has a rich flavour that needs nothing at all.From wooden casks if you had a glass of it you'd never forget it.Served at room temperature.

Good ale/beer has a rich flavour that needs nothing at all.From wooden casks if you had a glass of it you'd never forget it.Served at room temperature.

Does this beer have a name?

Too vague to be posting on a beer forum, for example, name 2 or 3 of your favorite beers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

From wooden casks if you had a glass of it you'd never forget it.Served at room temperature.
    I've had many a beer served straight from a wooden cask. They're always better at cellar temperature, especially if the wood is fresh: too much oak can destroy beer flavours and oak flavours are even more pronounced at higher temperatures.

Asking for room temperature Kölsch or Alt from the wooden casks in Cologne or Düsseldorf respectively would make even the most taciturn Rhinelander laugh at you.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've had many a beer served straight from a wooden cask. They're always better at cellar temperature, especially if the wood is fresh: too much oak can destroy beer flavours and oak flavours are even more pronounced at higher temperatures.

Asking for room temperature Kölsch or Alt from the wooden casks in Cologne or Düsseldorf respectively would make even the most taciturn Rhinelander laugh at you.

You know more than i do and what is the Name on the the nearest available outlet it's worth it.I WAS fed up with all that lukazade .Good beer does'nt need a name.or chilling of any kind.Germans demurre from comment on the nonsense we call beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That was a really good night. Well done to all involved.

Trouble brewing, metalman and brewdog beers were great last night, I can't remember many of the rest as I was half lit, can't believe some idiots were drinking Heineken, why weren't commercial beer taps covered for the night anyway, the industrial beer companies have the pubs for 365 days of the year why cant real beer drinkers have them for 1 or 2 nights?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Trouble brewing, metalman and brewdog beers were great last night, I can't remember many of the rest as I was half lit, can't believe some idiots were drinking Heineken, why weren't commercial beer taps covered for the night anyway, the industrial beer companies have the pubs for 365 days of the year why cant real beer drinkers have them for 1 or 2 nights?

I suppose some people would be brought along by friends to try it out. The heineken / carlsberg was presumably there in case anyone didn't like the other beers. Or mabye it was heiniken gold reserve or carlsberg trippel blonde.

To put it in perspective, many would look at your choice of brewdog, trouble brewing and metalman beers and scoff because these are ordinarily available in bull and castle, porterhouse, l mullgan grocer etc without the 20 entrance fee.

Othe than that, was there a good crowd, good selection, good atmosphere etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

can't believe some idiots were drinking Heineken, why weren't commercial beer taps covered for the night anyway,

because the venue wants to make as much money as possible from the event I'm imagine. if you asked them to close the bar i'm sure there would be an added cost to the venue to make up for lost sales resulting in more costs for the organisers. even if you are selling beer yourself at the event...

at the Great British Beer Festival in London a few weeks ago the venue bar was open and I saw people buying Carlsberg.

Why do you care if some people want to drink Heineken ? It's beer too. It's fine complaining about lack of choice but please don't complain about too much choice!

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Why do you care if some people want to drink Heineken ? It's beer too. It's fine complaining about lack of choice but please don't complain about too much choice!

Because if I went to the Electric Picnic to hear Arcade Fire I wouldn't want Jedward on the same bill.

Because if I went to the Electric Picnic to hear Arcade Fire I wouldn't want Jedward on the same bill.

Even though it had zero impact on you.

I suppose some people would be brought along by friends to try it out. The heineken / carlsberg was presumably there in case anyone didn't like the other beers. Or mabye it was heiniken gold reserve or carlsberg trippel blonde.

To put it in perspective, many would look at your choice of brewdog, trouble brewing and metalman beers and scoff because these are ordinarily available in bull and castle, porterhouse, l mullgan grocer etc without the 20 entrance fee.

I also had some other nice beers that I never heard of before but I can't remember them because we were in da 'Grain before it and I had around 4 or 5 drinks there before heading to POD!

Yep, I'm quite the fascist when it comes to beer, music and movies.

I also had some other nice beers that I never heard of before but I can't remember them because we were in da 'Grain before it and I had around 4 or 5 drinks there before heading to POD!

I don't mean to criticse you at all - in fact I would have a similar view towards beer ie to try new beers without being too precious about it.

But I'd sound a note of caution re: criticising people who like heiniken/carlesberg. All you can really say is that you don't like them or you prefer other beers. And since you could have kept drinking beers like metalman in against the grain but decided to go to the beerfest, presumably for the event as much as te quality of the beers, so too I'm sure some people who only drink heiniken but wouldn't mind sampling something else would have gone for the event too.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'm quite the fascist when it comes to beer, music and movies.

The whole purpose of this type of event is to encourage people to try new beers.

The whole purpose of this type of event is to encourage people to try new beers.

I agree but Heineken is available in every single bar in the World! Also people constantly slag Budweiser on here and compare it to pish, Heinken and Carlsberg are in the same category as it to me.

I agree but Heineken is available in every single bar in the World! Also people constantly slag Budweiser on here and compare it to pish, Heinken and Carlsberg are in the same category as it to me.

Yes, but they are wrong to do it.

It is entirely possible that someone out there thinks that Budweiser is the greatest expression of beer in the world. Who are we to disabuse them of that notion (assuming, of course, that they have tried other beers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

(assuming, of course, that they have tried other beers).

Therein lies the issue. The great thing about last night is that it made it very easy for people to try new stuff. I am sure however due to the fact that Heineken was available, a few people attended the event and didn't drink anything else. Sometimes people have to be forced to step outside their comfort zone. It was a shame last night wasn't one of those nights.

Great night by the way, really enjoyed myself. Fair play to ruth Deveney for putting it together. My highlight was Brew Dog Abstrakt :6 and a few of the Rogue beers went down well too.

(assuming, of course, that they have tried other beers).

Therein lies the issue. The great thing about last night is that it made it very easy for people to try new stuff. I am sure however due to the fact that Heineken was available, a few people attended the event and didn't drink anything else. Sometimes people have to be forced to step outside their comfort zone. It was a shame last night wasn't one of those nights.

Great night by the way, really enjoyed myself. Fair play to ruth Deveney for putting it together. My highlight was Brew Dog Abstrakt :6 and a few of the Rogue beers went down well too.

If someone spends 20 quid going to a beer tastig and onlydrinks heiniken, that's their own lookout. If they spend the whole evening drinking urinal water, that's fine too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

As I said in another thread I am a 'live and let live' type of guy and ordinarily I would not regard myself as a beer snob. I agree with the posters who have commented that in the general course of things there's no point in being a dick about people wanting to drink heineken or whatever. It's their taste, it does not impact on us, it's fine...

...Except, on this occassion I agree with johnny skeleton that the whole point of beerfest is that it is a celebration of microbrewing. A wonderful and slightly fragile burgeoning industry that needs to be coaxed along and supported if it is to stay afloat in this economic situation.

Now if part and parcel of getting Crawdaddy and The Pod as a venue is that they be allowed to have their own bars own then so be it. If they sell a few pints it's not a big deal and really the chances are the people who are buying mass market beers at an event like Beerfest are not the target market of microbrewers anyway. If surrounded by microbrewers and cheap tastings you still want a pint of heineken then you've demonstrated that you are fairly set in your ways.

However I think that it's reasonable to say that it's slightly farcical to come to an event like Beerfest if you have no interest in expanding your palate or supporting the small companies who attend. Surely that is less akin to snobbery given the setting. I'm trying to thing of a comparison. Maybe it's a bit like going to 'A Taste of Dublin' and insisting on eating McDonalds you've brought along, or plain sliced bread with galtee cheese and ham?

I'm not up in arms about it - but is it a little silly? I think at an event like that, yes it is.

...Except, on this occassion I agree with johnny skeleton that the whole point of beerfest is that it is a celebration of microbrewing. A wonderful and slightly fragile burgeoning industry that needs to be coaxed along and supported if it is to stay afloat in this economic situation.

This festival was more about beer choice, regardless or source. I think you're getting it mixed up with the Irish beer festival in the RDS next month. Several multinational drinks companies were represented on Friday. In fact Heineken is a participant in the festival via its Paulaner and Hoegaarden brands. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other household name beers there are also under the Heineken umbrella. Coors and Inbev were also represented.

Many of the independent breweries are way too big to be considered micros and are in no way fragile. e.g. Sierra Nevada.

This festival was more about beer choice, regardless or source. I think you're getting it mixed up with the Irish beer festival in the RDS next month.

Nope, I'm not mixed up - I'll be at the RDS event too, looking forward to it. :pac:
    Several multinational drinks companies were represented on Friday. In fact Heineken is a participant in the festival via its Paulaner and Hoegaarden brands. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other household name beers there are also under the Heineken umbrella. Coors and Inbev were also represented.

True, perhaps what I should have said is that in my opinion events like Beerfest are an opportunity to celebrate Irish microbrewing - and, yes, quality imported beers too. They were certainly the focus of my interest (and the broader group of foodies and friends I went with).
    Many of the independent breweries are way too big to be considered micros and are in no way fragile. e.g. Sierra Nevada.

I was referring to Irish microbreweries to be honest. The state of play is certainly different in the U.S and there's a distinction between independent brewers and microbrewers for sure.

I stand by my point that attending an event like Beerfest and opting to drink mass market beer you could drink in any pub at any time is a little like going to 'A taste of Dublin' with the firm intention of avoiding eating anything you wouldn't ordinarily eat i.e a little bizarre, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

The Rogue selection were great - can't wait to start seeing them for sale here. Tried a "sour" beer also - which was a first for me. Agreed on BRew Dogs abtract brew - 2 of my 3 tokens vanished as soon as I walked in the door when I saw it was on tap.

• Advertisement

The Rogue selection were great - can't wait to start seeing them for sale here

Agreed - very tasty.

I missed the Astract I'm afraid... Must look more closely next time :(

Advertisement