Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business HL?

• 10-06-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

Whats the best things to study for it. I've done a bit have to study loads more?
    like need to know the management activities and skills.
    People in business, but I was thinking of leaving it out as theres so much law in it. An focus on the domestic , or international enviroment.
    I need to practise the abqs more. I haven't done much practise on the abq's only a few times my teacher didn't even go through the paper , an tell us the different ways to answer them,

Any tips for studying for business?
    Would ratios be a good question to learn I would do it although I don't know how to compare the accounts my teacher hasn't gone through that either. I do know some of the formulas. It's just the comparing I need to practise.
    What topics are the most likely to come up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

I did my Leaving Cert last year. Business was by far the best paper I felt, I got an A2. It tends to be a fairly student friendly paper.

For the short questions my teacher advised us to try and do as many as we could without looking at the book, then go back and correct them, highlight any ones you got wrong and rewrite the answer. Maybe go back over the ones you got wrong then the next day and they'll stick.

For the long questions, look at the marks for each question. You divide the amount of marks by 5 and that's how many points you should make per answer. Make sure to bullet point each point you're making.

Keep in mind that question 1 tends to always have things like definition of stakeholders, interest groups, competitive/co-operative relationships and the benefits and drawbacks of them. And then of course in question 1 you'll always have questions on the acts, so know your Contract Law, Consumer acts and Employment acts eg. Unfair dismissals etc
    I'm sure your teacher has probably broken down what each question concentrates on anyway and I'm sure you can see the patterns yourself.
    If not, let me know. I know I still have all my business notes and I'd broken down what to concentrate on per question.

For the ABQ's, it's like the long questions, divide the marks by 5 and you know how many points you have to make per a, b and c parts.
    It goes in order too, so the a part should be near the start, b in the middle..yadda yadda..
    QUOTE! to show your point. and use a different coloured pen for this, it looks better. Try not to repeat your quotes, only if you're really stuck for an example.
    As far as I remember the chapters to concentrate for the ABQ's were the same as last year. A benefit of practising ABQ's is that it's like a bit of revision for short questions in the exam too because it all overlaps. Do as many ABQ's as you can leading up to the exam, I could maybe tell you what years in the past papers to look at if you're not sure which relate (that is if the chapters for the ABQ this year are the same as last years). You'll see that a lot of the questions repeat themselves in some shape or form.

The main thing to practise in business is TIMING. It's so so crucial in this exam. You really have no time to waste. I went in to that exam and wrote almost constantly for the entire thing and only had about 5 or 10 mins to spare at the end.
    Short questions: 25 mins max
    ABQ: 45 mins max
    Long questions: 25 mins max per question.
    Try your very best to stick to these times, I can't stress it enough.

I would say learn ratios, they come up in the short questions too. I know one short question isn't such a big deal but every mark adds up! Also if a question your banking on doesn't suit you and you need to pick an alternative and it's ratios...so I'd definitely spare some time for them, even if it is only half an hour to an hour. Just in case!

If you've any more questions I'll answer them no bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

dodgystuff wrote: »
    I did my Leaving Cert last year. Business was by far the best paper I felt, I got an A2. It tends to be a fairly student friendly paper.

For the short questions my teacher advised us to try and do as many as we could without looking at the book, then go back and correct them, highlight any ones you got wrong and rewrite the answer. Maybe go back over the ones you got wrong then the next day and they'll stick.

For the long questions, look at the marks for each question. You divide the amount of marks by 5 and that's how many points you should make per answer. Make sure to bullet point each point you're making.

Keep in mind that question 1 tends to always have things like definition of stakeholders, interest groups, competitive/co-operative relationships and the benefits and drawbacks of them. And then of course in question 1 you'll always have questions on the acts, so know your Contract Law, Consumer acts and Employment acts eg. Unfair dismissals etc
    I'm sure your teacher has probably broken down what each question concentrates on anyway and I'm sure you can see the patterns yourself.
    If not, let me know. I know I still have all my business notes and I'd broken down what to concentrate on per question.

For the ABQ's, it's like the long questions, divide the marks by 5 and you know how many points you have to make per a, b and c parts.
    It goes in order too, so the a part should be near the start, b in the middle..yadda yadda..
    QUOTE! to show your point. and use a different coloured pen for this, it looks better. Try not to repeat your quotes, only if you're really stuck for an example.
    As far as I remember the chapters to concentrate for the ABQ's were the same as last year. A benefit of practising ABQ's is that it's like a bit of revision for short questions in the exam too because it all overlaps. Do as many ABQ's as you can leading up to the exam, I could maybe tell you what years in the past papers to look at if you're not sure which relate (that is if the chapters for the ABQ this year are the same as last years). You'll see that a lot of the questions repeat themselves in some shape or form.

The main thing to practise in business is TIMING. It's so so crucial in this exam. You really have no time to waste. I went in to that exam and wrote almost constantly for the entire thing and only had about 5 or 10 mins to spare at the end.
    Short questions: 25 mins max
    ABQ: 45 mins max
    Long questions: 25 mins max per question.
    Try your very best to stick to these times, I can't stress it enough.

I would say learn ratios, they come up in the short questions too. I know one short question isn't such a big deal but every mark adds up! Also if a question your banking on doesn't suit you and you need to pick an alternative and it's ratios...so I'd definitely spare some time for them, even if it is only half an hour to an hour. Just in case!

If you've any more questions I'll answer them no bother :)

Thanks thats very useful.

Do you know how you comment on the ratio like the trends? or comparing accounts. How to analyse the trends really? my teacher hasn't even gone through this most of the gross profit etc. I remember from JC. Not sure how to analyse trends or comparing them,

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hope93

I Moved schools this year between 5th year and 6th year and moved to a school where 6th years had no Business class, So I'm doing Business myself without a teacher or grinds.

I do have 1 MAJOR tip for almost anything, It was something my old teacher taught me and really is the key to Business. When answering or making a point always remember this; State, Explain and give an example! For example in a ABQ if you are asked for say a Management skill shown in the text, State the skill (2marks) explain the skill(2 marks) and quote the line from the text as your example for another mark. 5 marks in the bag! I didn't even look at Business from last year until the mock this year and I nailed down a C3 by sticking to this format!(Would of been more, missed a question :/)

Anyway as you know, the ABQ really is the key here. This year, It's based on United 3,4 and 5. 3 tricky units in My opinion but if you just sit down and learn the fact's you should be grand ! ;) Hint's for long question's, I'm probably not the best to ask as I personally don't get a choice as I only do unit 1-5 and learn 6 aqnd 7 only for short questions. But I would definatly know the Management skills, HRM skills, Communication and the trends in ratio's! I would go against dropping United 1 as I think Law is really easy and also rarely comes up in the long questions unless it's something along the lines of 'Explain capacity to contract' etc and a relationship (Co-Operative, Competative) nearly ALWAYS come's up and is such an easy question.! Also know your Marketing and Business plan, I think they could be up this year! ;)

Anyway hope this helped and good luck! :)

Is it true you need to include 2 points for all the short questions whatever they ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

yeah our teacher told us 2 points for a short question and if you can think of an example stick it too :P

• Advertisement

Oh gosh my teacher hasn't told us anything he did mention that though.
    Hes not gone through the exam paper at all with us.
    How would you give an extra two points say if it says explain exchange rate.
    Would you right the definition then give an example is that two points?
    like just definitions and then the example?

A definition would be one point. id try and come up with a bit of info about exchange rates for another point but if i couldnt then id use an example.. im not sure if an example counts as a point. id say you'd get away with it :)

How do you compare cash flows or budgets?
    And what the employers, investors , employees etc ratio their interested in.

Or the trends I've done a few ratio questions just those parts I get confused . My teacher hasn't gone through any of it.

amm i dont know... im so crap at commenting on trends.. i just waffle :P
    hopefully it will be an easy paper :D

Paauull wrote: »
    amm i dont know... im so crap at commenting on trends.. i just waffle :P
    hopefully it will be an easy paper :D

Aw alright . I really hope so too. I hope there will a management activities or management skills for the ABQ I looked at a few of the ones in the paper the samples at the beginning some look really hard . I need to try and get a B since my other paper went awful this is like the lifesaver lol.
    I found loads of good revision notes business they're really helpful

http://www.rte.ie/exams/business.html

• Advertisement

oh cool thanks :D and good luck

good luck too :). Oh yeah the one at the links part at the bottom that says business notes has brilliant notes.

Advertisement