Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

my first wedding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

/edit working now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

:-)
    my first lol and prob last i was a bag of nerves doing it

More like snap shots, you're not close enough and capturing the mood, the lighting is too different in pics 1 and 2, too strong and obvious in 2.
    In PS make sure u crop too...

U need some nice candid shots too....these are very cliched.

Throw some more up, i don't look at Flickr. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you need tighter crops on those shots to get rid of the furniture, it's a bit distracting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

were you there as the photographer or as a guest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

swingking wrote: »
    were you there as the photographer or as a guest?

*zing!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 de4d

cool pictures actually, and congrats on your first wedding.

Have you any of the actual wedding?

For group shots they seem fine to me

I would say, tighter cropping where possible is always good, and it does no harm to be try and mirror the sides of the frame's distance to the person (in other words, try and keep the empty space at each side of the frame the same on both sides, so the people don't look pushed to the left or right).

Also, you should always try to keep an eye on the edges of your frame so you don't cut off people's feet.

And when dealing with a wedding (and to a lesser extent, communions, confirmations, etc.) beware of your exposure and the details on the dress. The dress looks very bright (and thus, as a white dress, loses it's details). People spend a lot of money on a wedding dress, keeping it's design intact is important.

I'm no wedding photographer though, so take my advice lightly.

Group shots, particularly outdoors, are never really going to be the most atmospheric shots in the world, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would try to get rid of the chairs/tables etc. as much as possible, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

First one is ok, all you need there is to mask the bride's dress and maybe the gentlemen's white waistcoats and increase the exposure a bit on the rest of the scene. Crop in a bit on the left.

Second one is almost the opposite - the Bride's dress is almost blown but you'll probably be able to get back enough detail to make it a keeper. Unusual angle! i guess you can try different angles when doing a shot like this and pick which one appeals most. Pity they weren't all looking into your lens - sorta makes it look as if they want to be somewhere/anywhere else!! :) its a good idea to call out to them to look into the lens, very often in these situations the bridal party get confused as to where or at who they should be looking at

Third one is grand as has been said a tighter crop will look better! also you could try swinging around so that the sun is at their backs and use fill flash to bring the faces out of shadow - sometimes it can look really good!

Well done! - first one is always gonna be the toughest! after you adjust these in PS or whatever they'll be grand.

I did my first wedding video last month - what a disaster!!! but a good experience - took last three weeks to learn how to edit :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

If that were my wedding I don't think I'd be too happy if I found out my snaps were on here before I'd seen them myself =s

• Advertisement

Sunshine! wrote: »
    If that were my wedding I don't think I'd be too happy if I found out my snaps were on here before I'd seen them myself =s

Your name doesn't fit you like a glove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

A very nerve-wracking experience indeed. I did our son's wedding last year (some shots here ). I think I'm still sweating!

My two cents:

#1 - a little dark.
    #2 - a little overexposed (but the group is posed better)
    #3 - looks like you're shooting from the ground. Were you using a WA lens?

But fair play for giving it a go. Not many people would. It's an experience!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I would not really recommend tighter cropping..... reason being, the majority of people will still get an 8x10 blow up which means when taking wedding shots you really should be allowing for the fact that if they do so they will be cutting off a section from either side so you need a little extra space, also if they want to put one on canvas they need wrap around space. The first one could be framed better but the space either side is fine.

You would have done better if you took 2 mns to move the furniture, usually me being a girl I move one chair and the groomsmen jump in and do the rest for me;) handy number, also by linging them up at an angle you would have gotten the trees alone as background giving a nice even image rather than the trees on the right and building on the left.

A little bit overexposed on 2 and 3 but shooting raw would cover you there. Would love to see church etc, for a first timer you have done well with these. (Although I should be saying, no its crap, dont do it, dont ever be a wedding photog and leave all the clients for meeeeeeeeeee:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

hey, well done on your first - woot! :)

A couple of points:
    • watch backgrounds - keep em simple, and consistent.
    • crop tighter yes in terms of what you would put into an album, but Rachel's point on 8x10's is worth of mention.
    • watch angles. Shooting from below, isn't the most flattering. If anything, get elevated. That chair which you were being suggested to move. Stand on it, or gain some other height. With you at a height, it will naturally stretch necks of your subjects removing the double chin effect from shooting low and yielding a far more aesthetically pleasing shot.
    Try vary the line up. Remember its not a firing squad. As a suggestion (if it works on who you are shooting), shoot as you've done but then mix it up a little, try stagger your subjects front/back with bride/groom most prominent. Try match groomsmen with bridesmaids, and stagger this layout - try back/back, hand over shoulder stuff - like just mix it up.

Get people looking when they should be looking. Probably lots of people - moms, aunts, uncles, boy/girl friends, taking pictures. Find your voice and request your subjects to focus on where-ever you want them to focus. Give instruction.

Exposure not bad at all.

Overall, certainly lots to do, but you've ground to build on here would be my honest assessment.

Advertisement