Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Short Questions

• 10-06-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Anyone remember answers of anything? I'd love to know how it went! Also that one about the tourist office, ridiculous!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

The tourist office was regular opening hours. It gave this in the legend that was supplied with the map.

Many of the short questions were difficult though.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Ridiculous as in crazy easy? Definitely. Funny though.

I especially liked the falling house prices question.

"Give one reason why house prices fell after 2007?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

ridiculous as in the fact that it was a bit ridiculous! easy obviously but a little odd all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

i just said that banks no longer gave out loans, meaning that no one could buy houses, so the prices fell.... that's right, right?

aranciata wrote: »
    i just said that banks no longer gave out loans, meaning that no one could buy houses, so the prices fell.... that's right, right?

I just said recession :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

polka dot wrote: »
    I just said recession :p

haha snaaap! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The tourist office one was on the legend. It was really easy!

The rest were a bit weird. Hope I made up for it with the rest of the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

For the types of energy I completely blanked.
    Said geothermal? and found out later solar wouldve worked. Ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

What the HELL is "Striations"?! :L

And "Iberian Peninsula".. What?!

Rock types in Ireland, kicking myself now! What were the right answers? I know Basalt was up the north but sin é :/

Duhh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭currychips

Rock types in Ireland, kicking myself now! What were the right answers? I know Basalt was up the north but sin é :/

Yeah! what th hel's a striation ? :/ that was awful weird :O :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

haha snaaap! :)

Eh Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!! :p

Recession!

The effort I put into answering some of those short questions ! Whew!:D

currychips wrote: »
    Yeah! what th hel's a striation ? :/ that was awful weird :O :O

I can honestly say I've never heard that word before in my LIFE! :eek: I guessed it was the watery looking picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭AislingMarie

I said Basalt in the north, Sandstone in the Corkish area, Limestone in the centre of Ireland and Granite in the South eastish area!..

Could be wrong of course!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Yeah, I WTF'd when I saw those short questions. I think I still did pretty well in them, but they made you work a lot more for your marks than pervious years, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

I said Basalt in the north, Sandstone in the Corkish area, Limestone in the centre of Ireland and Granite in the South eastish area!..

Could be wrong of course!:o

what i said too! having the west of clare and the burren in a different colour to any of the options, including limestone threw me though... did they manipulate the map or something? i remember it being in a dark green or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I had a sh*t attack when I saw the first short question, and the second one was different but I got it. The rest were lovely. For the corrie or arete one, was the corrie the larger area circled in red?

aranciata wrote: »
    what i said too! having the west of clare and the burren in a different colour to any of the options, including limestone threw me though... did they manipulate the map or something? i remember it being in a dark green or something..

North was basalt, hugest area was limestone, area around Wicklow was granite (Wicklow granite anyone?) and Cork was Sandstone.

Teacher went through the paper with us after.
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC005ALP000EV.pdf
    From what I can remember:

Q1: A = Striations
    B = Boulder clay
    C = Erratic
    D = Drumlin
    (I know I got the erosion/deposition part wrong so I'll let you google that bit.

Q2: Maps
    Ringfort
    Tourist office opens at regular hours
    Conical hill

Q3: OS Map and photo
    Can't remember... R549. Orange one.
    N something. Green and white.
    Q446 007
    North west

Q4: Regions
    Cultural - Basque
    Physical - Alps
    Peripheral - Mezzo
    Urban - Paris

Q5: Coastal landforms
    A-Blow hole
    B-Sea arch
    C-Sea stack
    D- Bay

Q6: Weather chart (this threw me :( )
    TRUE
    True
    FALSE
    FALSE

Q7: Landforms
    I screwed this one up too. I will not embarass myself.

Q8: Structure of the earth
    A - Core
    B - Crust
    C - Asthenosphere
    D - Mantle

Q9: Rock type (look up there^^)

Q10: Satellite interpretation
    A- oil slick
    B- volcano in alaska
    C- pakistan
    D- san andreas fault

Q11: Energy capacity in Ireland
    I just said because we are trying to cut down on gas emissions
    Solar and geothermal

Q12: Graphical interpretation
    Outside Dublin
    April 2007
    Recession! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

ok it was ANNOYING me soooo much!
    for one of the short questions it asked what the little red circle on the map is?..
    what is it? there was millions of them!

also the geography exam should be wayyy longer.. i had to rush the end of my regional and all of my elective questions :(

didnt help that my hand is still half dead from both english papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

just answered my question above.. ringfort..
    jeeze, there was feckin loads of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

i just looked at the OL paper and i think it was much nicer than HL . The composition of b & c was done much better at OL and phrasing of q were nicer,but it's OL that's why it's like that :( wished HL had the composition of qs of OL paper :(

• Advertisement

martyllia wrote: »
    i just looked at the OL paper and i think it was much nicer than HL . The composition of b & c was done much better at OL and phrasing of q were nicer,but it's OL that's why it's like that :( wished HL had the composition of qs of OL paper :(

Umm I really don't mean to sound sarcastic but I think that's the point.. There's supposed to be a difference between OL & HL, hence the points difference
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Thank god I looked back over my short questions at the end. Somehow I had written down:
    D
    D
    D
    C
    I have no idea how I managed to do so.

PJelly wrote: »
    Thank god I looked back over my short questions at the end. Somehow I had written down:
    D
    D
    D
    C

Crazy stuff can happen when you're under pressure! :rolleyes:

PJelly wrote: »
    D
    D
    D
    C

I put vegetable oil for a renewable resource. Had it in for AGES before I got to the volcano question and was writing about the positive effects of volcanos in Iceland = geothermal energy :pac:

Don't know where I got vegetable oil from. I think I thought you put it in Green Cars. Maybe it's true.

Umm I really don't mean to sound sarcastic but I think that's the point.. There's supposed to be a difference between OL & HL, hence the points difference
    :)

i know,i just think that OL paper was really nice and lookin back at previous OL papers there wasn't anythin unexpected today, for HL it was the hardest paper ever,in my opinion ,they threw economic aspects into physical,and the short were kinda tricky,i know its a HL ,but previous papers were much nicer me thinks :)
    i still have a feelin i passed it even though i messed it a little bit :)

martyllia wrote: »
    i know,i just think that OL paper was really nice and lookin back at previous OL papers there wasn't anythin unexpected today, for HL it was the hardest paper ever,in my opinion ,they threw economic aspects into physical,and the short were kinda tricky,i know its a HL ,but previous papers were much nicer me thinks :)
    i still have a feelin i passed it even though i messed it a little bit :)

Yeah actually did anyone notice how a lot of the paper was based on economic impacts etc?? :O
    Short Q's
    Physical
    Regional
    AND
    Human!

Yeah actually did anyone notice how a lot of the paper was based on economic impacts etc?? :O
    Short Q's
    Physical
    Regional
    AND
    Human!

I avoided these like the plague. Economic effects of quarrying? I learned half a paragraph on this. eg. 90,000 people employed in the construction industry before 2008. But it was literally a paragraph! No idea how you'd get an essay out of it.

Very economic this paper. I was wondering would it have been easier if we had have studied the economic elective?

Very economic this paper. I was wondering would it have been easier if we had have studied the economic elective?

not really,i've done economic and didn't help at all:<

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Q8: Structure of the earth
    A- Core
    B- Asthenosphere
    C- Crust
    D- Mantle

Are you sure this is right?
    I thought it was
    A - Core
    B - Crust