Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Short Questions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

Yeah that's what I thought too...

I know I've taken Geography up in fifth year, but im not COMPLETELY thick :P

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What the HELL is "Striations"?! :L

And "Iberian Peninsula".. What?!
    Striations are furrows or ridges, often associated with glacial activity.

And the Iberian peninsula is Spain + Portugal.

And I stopped geog at Junior! :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Yeah that's what I thought too...

Well what you put down, is what I put down in my exam. When I came out and asked the teacher she said it was wrong!

I'd be quite happy if you guys were right, means I got full marks in that question! :pac: Will go back and change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I just thought it was like a big knife that cut's through the earth, which gave it the nice sleek, sexy look,like in the picture on the geography paper,
    Nice to see you can recall these technical terms from when you were 14 to put us all to sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

And the Iberian peninsula is Spain + Portugal.

And I stopped geog at Junior! :P :D

Right...

:cool:

Yes, you're really smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

apkbarry wrote: »
    Are you sure this is right?
    I thought it was
    A - Core
    B - Crust
    C - Asthenosphere
    D - Mantle

Otherwise I know I got it wrong..

Seems to be a pretty popular diagram, type Asthenosphere into google images and plenty of similar images come up. This one shows the correct titles for the layers

Internal_layersUSGS.gif

The questions were hard but fair. I wouldn't be surprised if they set out to confuse people as previously it's a very easy area to pick up 80 marks, this year I think they tried to change that.

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Nice to see you can recall these technical terms from when you were 14 to put us all to sham.
    It's not as long ago as some people around here seem to think! :p
    Yes, you're really smart
    Actually, nope.

But it does make me wonder how much they have abridged the geography syllabi in the intervening years if those terms are unfamiliar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BallerinaBabe

Think I got 76 in the short questions! Happy out but a little bit annoyed that my mistake was mixing up the crust and the athenosphere, i should have known that. :(

It's not as long ago as some people around here seem to think! :p

Actually, nope.

But it does make me wonder how much they have abridged the geography syllabi in the intervening years if those terms are unfamiliar.

Ican tell you, I've done geography since 1st year, got an A in HL Junior Cert and a B2 in HL LC Mock and have never come across striations in any of the books..

Our teacher is SH1TE though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

How were we supposed to know if the tourist office had regular open hours?
    Did you see the ordinary level short question were so simple, you couldn't go wrong with them. Seriously you could get an A in that paper.

What on earth was stratriations? an conical hill? never heard of those before yesterday.
    The landform question wasn't that clear. Then the structure of the earth looking like a cone? What the hell was that? Hadn't seen that either. Why did they have to make our paper so hard this year? I was hoping for a B in that. Basically half the short questions I'd never seen or heard of before or the questions were stupid like the tourist question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Ican tell you, I've done geography since 1st year, got an A in HL Junior Cert and a B2 in HL LC Mock and have never come across striations in any of the books..

Our teacher is SH1TE though!

Exact same, I guessed it was to do with "strata" though, meaning it'd have to be "B", it wasn't though. oh well :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

How were we supposed to know if the tourist office had regular open hours?
    Did you see the ordinary level short question were so simple, you couldn't go wrong with them. Seriously you could get an A in that paper.

The opening hours thing was on the legend that was on the back of the map they gave you. I think the filled in Tourist Office symbol had regular opening hours and the pale one didn't. Either way, it was right there!

And the ordinary level paper is supposed to be way easier. That's why an A will only get them 60 points.

apkbarry wrote: »
    Are you sure this is right?
    I thought it was
    A - Core
    B - Crust
    C - Asthenosphere
    D - Mantle

Otherwise I know I got it wrong..

Thats what I put down too. Is that cone even in the book?

flyaway. wrote: »
    The opening hours thing was on the legend that was on the back of the map they gave you. I think the filled in Tourist Office symbol had regular opening hours and the pale one didn't. Either way, it was right there!

And the ordinary level paper is supposed to be way easier. That's why an A will only get them 60 points.

I think I ticked yes anyway as a random guess I was just thinking they probably work 9-5. Yeah I guess so , an then they make the honours rock hard .
    The other years weren't as bad.

I think I ticked yes anyway as a random guess I was just thinking they probably work 9-5. Yeah I guess so , an then they make the honours rock hard .
    The other years weren't as bad.

Lads, (Not just you) That was EASY!! A 10 year old could do it! All you had to do was find the office, turn over the map and see that that symbol said "regular opening hours". I don't get what everyone is going on about with that question!!! You don't need to have ever done LC Geography to look at a map & key :confused::confused::confused:

Lads, (Not just you) That was EASY!! A 10 year old could do it! All you had to do was find the office, turn over the map and see that that symbol said "regular opening hours". I don't get what everyone is going on about with that question!!! You don't need to have ever done LC Geography to look at a map & key :confused::confused::confused:

I didn't think it would be written there. But do you don't expect a question about if the tourist works hours to appear in the geography exam paper, that could throw anyone off they wouldn't be thinking that would come up .

I didn't think it would be written there. But do you don't expect a question about if the tourist works hours to appear in the geography exam paper, that could throw anyone off they wouldn't be thinking that would come up .

We did it in 2nd year.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What the HELL is "Striations"?! :L

And "Iberian Peninsula".. What?!

Rock types in Ireland, kicking myself now! What were the right answers? I know Basalt was up the north but sin é :/

Duhh :(

A striation is the grooves left in the surface below the glacier, they are made from the rocks that have become part of the glacier rubbing and scraping the surface, experts use them to determine the direction from which the glacier came from.

Probably of little use to you now though!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If a symbol is on the map it's in the legend. If you aren't sure of the symbol look at the legend. The green tourist office symbolises a normal opening hours tourist office, a white symbolises a restricted hours opening office. If anything, it was one of the simpler questions.

This is exactly what they were trying to do this year, stop people trying to expect what will come up and instead catch people out and make them use their heads. 1 example of which is the geocology title "How do economic activities impact a biome", it was just a reworded version of "How do human activities impact a biome" yet it threw so many people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

Does anybody have the right answers to Q7 ON LANDFORMS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Must say, I laughed out loud at the "Regular opening hours" question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

There's something cute about that diagram :). I got the asthenosphere part wrong. Mixed it up with mantle. Don't think I did very well on the Short Questions, there were a few of them that were a bit tricky.

Gotta say, i'll miss Geography. If I end up repeating, i'm certainly taking it up again, it's a very simple straight forward subject imo. Very easy to apply common knowledge as well, so great for waffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

for the renewable question i put nuclear as one lol is that right?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Sparkie93 wrote: »

I don't think so but I might be wrong. I almost but nuclear too but wasn't too sure. :confused: I put Solar and Geothermal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

I sed wood pellets.. :D ..?

Sparkie93 wrote: »
    I'm afraid not.
    flyaway. wrote: »
    I put Solar and Geothermal.
    Yep.
    Duda17 wrote: »
    I sed wood pellets.. :D ..?
    An example of biomass, anyway.

Wind power, hydropower (from water e.g. rivers, waves) are other examples of renewable energy.

Advertisement