Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samoyed Farts all the time - it's disgusting.

• 10-06-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

My Samoyed puppy, 15 weeks old, farts all the time and it's disgusting. I mean really bad, we have to open all the windows and doors. I am assuming it's his food and want to change it but my daughter rang the Vet and the receptionist told her it's not the food. Now, how could the receptionist possibly know that??? Any advice welcomed .................... this is urgent as I am at the end of my rope !!!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Well what are you feeding him? In long-nosed breeds, it usually is caused by the food they're eating. Kind of surprised the receptionist told you straight out that it wasn't without even seeing the dog.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭safetymanager

Yeah, I was surprised at the receptionists answer too. The food brand name is Burns, it's a puppy food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Burns is a good food, but not all foods suit all dogs. I'm guessing you bought the food from the vets?

I'd change foods if I were you, its obviously not agreeing with him

My daughter reckons it's those bones and chewy sticks you buy in pet shops that are the problem. Any opinions on that theory? I'll keep him away from those for a few days to test it I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Do you give him any other food or treats apart from the Burns? It could be little extras you might be giving him. If not it could easily be the Burns. Might be worth looking in to changing to another good dog food for a while to see if it makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

I have a english bull terrier who was rotten!! farted all the time! we bought a anti gulp bowl (bowl with bumps in it) so she has to eat slower and bobs your uncle! no more farts! We recently started my lot (3 EBT, SBT and GD) on the Barf diet too and im a strong beleiver that raw food is 10 times better then any man made dog food! and a hell of a lot cheaper!! Coats are fantastic, shinier and glossier, they dont poo half as much because they have less waste in their diet and no farts!!:P Poo's are easier too, they dry hard and chalkie so no mess and they dont stink to high heaven! Its worth a look, made a huge difference to my lot:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our puppy was minging on his puppy food plus he kept nicking adult dog food. We chammged both dogs to Robbies and result no more farts. :-)

bullylover wrote: »
    I have a english bull terrier who was rotten!! farted all the time! we bought a anti gulp bowl (bowl with bumps in it) so she has to eat slower and bobs your uncle! no more farts! We recently started my lot (3 EBT, SBT and GD) on the Barf diet too and im a strong beleiver that raw food is 10 times better then any man made dog food! and a hell of a lot cheaper!! Coats are fantastic, shinier and glossier, they dont poo half as much because they have less waste in their diet and no farts!!:P Poo's are easier too, they dry hard and chalkie so no mess and they dont stink to high heaven! Its worth a look, made a huge difference to my lot:)

Very interesting, I'll definitely get the bowl, it's certainly worth a try. He does eat very quickly. I'm not sure about the raw food diet even though I do agree that it is probably better for the dog than anything man made. My family won't go for it though I'd say !!! Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My daughter reckons it's those bones and chewy sticks you buy in pet shops that are the problem. Any opinions on that theory? I'll keep him away from those for a few days to test it I think.

They may be the problem all right! Some of them don't agree with my guy at all. Are they puppy treats or adult ones you're giving? Switching to Burns is what eliminated the deadly gas emmissions in our house! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

A spoonful of natural yoghurt in his dinner can also help with regulating the bacteria in his gut and result in less gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Are you feeding wet or dry food?

You also get dog treats that have charcoal in them which supposedly neutralises the acid, just make sure there decent quality so the other ingredients in them aren't cancelling out the 'good' effects :p

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Ah its always good to have a stinky dog to blame for the smell :p

Good advice here though, I must try the yoghurt. A combination of pug and staffy farts creates quite a stench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Yes, as happy as I am with our vet, I did get the same spiel about the food not being a factor in my Meg's throwing up, food I bought there. It was the Hill's science plan. I changed it anyway because I believed she had a wheat allergy and lo and behold, she stopped puking. Jack also stopped farting by the new time and poops a lot less. It took us a few brands though before I found that one that really did the trick so sometimes you do have a bit of trial & error.

I find that too many treats can set Jack off as well. We had visitors last weekend, my cousin and his family. All the kids could say was "Eww, farty dog!" Nice memories they're making while home from Australia for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

My daughter reckons it's those bones and chewy sticks you buy in pet shops that are the problem.

It could be those treats. Is it a good idea to give these to a pup?

I have mine on Burns adult food. Although one of them breaks wind now & again its not too bad.

Maybe drop Burns an email - they have good customer support. If you mention the above dog treats they'll say to stop them. Burns are big believers in not giving any supplements as they reckon their food is complete as is.

EDIT: for some reason its very important with Burns to follow the feeding guidelines on the bag. For adults its 10g/Kg - more for a pup on Minibites. I use a weighing scale rather than guessing. If you are overfeeding - even by a small amount - this could be causing your problem. (I thinks its something to with the fact Burns has a high rice content - 20% meat/60% rice.)

Advertisement