Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grade 6 piano book

Options
  • 10-06-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I bought the grade 6 piano book today and I've noticed not all the pieces are in it :confused:.. Why aren't they all printed in the book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hi.
    I bought the grade 6 piano book today and I've noticed not all the pieces are in it :confused:.. Why aren't they all printed in the book?

The exams for Grade 6 up are structured a little differently. You'll notice they're grouped into three lists: A, B and C. The point of doing that is to develop your technique in different styles of playing. Because of the restriction of the lists, you're given a wider choice of pieces to play in each list - six on each list, instead of six altogether. (I know there are only four listed, but look for a supplementary list on the RIAM website. They add an extra two in the final year,* I think partly just so the examiners don't get bored.) So basically, the exam book is more of a guideline from Grade 6 up than in previous grades, but you still get the same number of pieces to choose from. Mind you, it's worth having a listen to the other pieces on the grade if you can, and picking your favourite from all of them.

Consider yourself lucky as a pianist, though - for most other instruments, there's no exam book at all!

*The "final year" is another one of the changes to the higher grades - because the standard is higher for Grade 6 up, the pieces on these grades are valid for three years rather than one. Unfortunately, the ones in your book are going to expire this December, so you'd better get your exam done quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Thanks a million for your reply. I'll listen to all of them and decide then.
    Ya I'm hoping to do the exam in November. Fingers crossed I'll be ready by then :)

Advertisement