Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another cab build

• 10-06-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

So the ramvik cab wasn't the most playable so I decided to build another :)

A little bartop was in order this time round as a full size cabinet just wouldn't be allowed..

Hardware:
    15" LCD monitor (1024x768)
    Dual-core laptop with 2GB RAM I got free as the screen was broken :)
    IPAC
    Standard buttons & stick from arcademachines.ie
    Cheapo logitech speakers

Software:
    Win XP
    Hyperspin
    MAME
    Fusion
    ZSNES

Wanted to try something different with this one so wrapped it with carbon fibre vinyl instead of painting. This is a lot more expensive and trickier then painting but does have a nice textured feel to it.

Basic idea for design borrowed from here

5818466003_bce2024163_z.jpg

5819029590_1870a27a5d.jpg

5818463117_622f5b7844.jpg

I seem to spend more time building these then playing them.. ah well...onto the next one :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

That looks lovely dude, great job. Really nice finish to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yeah, Looks really nice actually.

I'd buy something like that. Would look sweet in my man cave :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Looks very very nice, well done.

If you ever need to make some room in your house let me know, I can help ;);)

Steve SI wrote: »
    I'd buy something like that.

I was thinking the same. Something for the kids to keep them away from the cab. :pac:

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same. Something for the kids to keep them away from the cab. :pac:

Ehh yeah, the kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Andrew76 wrote: »

I like kids, wouldn't eat a whole one though:p

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ehh yeah, the kids :D

:pac:
    No really, I have an irrational fear that arcade parts designed to be mashed about by adults will be broken by toddlers messing with them! :o
    pdbhp wrote: »
    I like kids, wouldn't eat a whole one though:p

Bad man. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cheers :) The finish is not as good as I'd like it, the wrap is a pain to get right on the tight corners and bunches up a bit.
    Comfortable to play on which is great, I've plenty of catching up to do :) if anyone wants more details on the build let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

That's a lovely job there, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looks great, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 feng10

Great Job, that looks fantastic. I'm going to try and build something similar along the lines of a Weecade http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/specsweecade.htm
    Just hope it turns out half as good as yours:) Any pointers would be much appreciated, like where did you get the plexi for the bezel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cheers, the plexiglass is 2mm and I got it in B&Q. They only supply large sheets though so you'll have plenty left over for more cabs, I think it was around €25 or so for the sheet.
    Score it a few time with a decent carpet knife blade and it should break evenly, if not you can cut it with a dremel or similar.

Best of luck with the build, I was looking at the weecade plans before as really like it but was a bit too large for what I wanted.

Where do ye guys get the printed vinyl marques ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 feng10

@ The last Bandit, thanks man I had a look around Woodies and I asked the staff about plexi and they looked at me like I had 10 heads, i'll pop out to B&Q so when I get a chance. I've no idea on the vinyl im a noob at this myself, it's just something i've always wanted to do, and I've been inspired from reading a few threads on here to finally give it a go.
    So far i've got the guts of a the pc and the, ipac joystick and buttons, hopefully i'll get the wood and plexi this week, when i get the funds. God knows how long it will take but it will be worth it in the end.

Advertisement