Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Cork

Options
  • 10-06-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hiya,

We are looking to relocate to Cork and looking for feedback on some areas.

Being close to the city is not a huge concern but we would like to have easy access to the city, ie buses/taxis etc

We have kids and a dog so a family friendly area is of major importance

A nice settled area - not overly populated by renters/students etc

any input is much appreciated - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Stick to the southside but away from UCC so

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bah1011

ballincollig or blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

as above i would look at blackrock, and surrounding areas, ballintemple and ballinlough, nearly all older housing, nice areas though, and easy access to the city centre,
    it depends if you are renting or buying a place aswell, theres not many places to rent in the areas i mentioned,
    rochestown is apparently nice but trafiic can be mental
    ballincollig may be a bit too far from the city, although there is a bus service (just about:))

bishopstown is another nice area but its rammed with students,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Glounthaune is nice - really good for families and away from the bustle of the city. Train (takes 10mins) every 15 mins peak and 30 mins off peak to and from Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭rightoldpickle

thanks, i've had a quick look on daft and most of those places look lovely!

are there any "must avoid" spots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Hello, Before you decide, take a look at the village of Tower, just outside Blarney. Its got a couple of pubs, church, and primary school (secondary school in Blarney) and big Centra supermarket. 10mins from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

thanks, i've had a quick look on daft and most of those places look lovely!

are there any "must avoid" spots?

Please avoid the following areas;
    Mayfield, Blackpool, Farranrea, Gurranbraher, Knocknaheeney, Holyhill, Mahon, Togher and Curraheen.

Being honest, your best bet is the South East of the city suburbs, with the obvious exception of Mahon.
    Douglas is a great spot, has its own village etc, as is Rochestown. Important also to bear in mind is the South City Link road, very handy for quick access across the south suburbs with a link to the city.
    Also lots of choices of schools, bus routes, taxi's etc in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Greenmount is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

We have to stop telling people how nice Douglas is - its full, go somewhere else!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ballyvolane's not bad either. Some nice estates, and easy access to town. Close to the North Link, and the No 7 bus is handy for town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Bishopstown perhaps, five-ten minutes from city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

murphym7 wrote: »
    We have to stop telling people how nice Douglas is - its full, go somewhere else!:D:D

Douglas is full of the sort of person who would walk over you if you were lying on the ground, or even better, would drive past you whilst looking down from the lofty perch of their X5 (about to be re-possessed by the bank but they don't know it yet).
    How's that for ya? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Dean820 wrote: »
    Bishopstown perhaps, five-ten minutes from city.

I moved to Bishopstown about 6 years. I wouldn't bother if I wre you. It is full of elderly people and students (a terrible combination). Douglas/Blackrock is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

If you're looking for someone quiet but close to the city, somewhere like Whites Cross would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

kub wrote: »
    Mayfield, Blackpool, Farranrea, Gurranbraher, Knocknaheeney, Holyhill, Mahon, Togher and Curraheen.

Being honest, your best bet is the South East of the city suburbs, with the obvious exception of Mahon.
    Douglas is a great spot, has its own village etc, as is Rochestown. Important also to bear in mind is the South City Link road, very handy for quick access across the south suburbs with a link to the city.

Farranree - disagree in part. Lower area like Mulberry is fine, speaking from experience

Mayfield - again disagree in part. Silversprings is a nice area, some new houses gone in as well.

Very hard to define an 'avoid' list. All places have their questionable areas. I mean, for all those that are plugging Douglas, does that include Shamrock road area? I think Rochestown is a disaster for traffic and potholes. :)

Agree with the majority of the avoids above though

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

kub wrote: »

Curraheen road is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Douglas is full of the sort of person who would walk over you if you were lying on the ground, or even better, would drive past you whilst looking down from the lofty perch of their X5 (about to be re-possessed by the bank but they don't know it yet).
    How's that for ya? ;)

I would be the exception to that rule - My X5 is regulary full of these people I find lying on the ground. I usually drive across the river and dump them up the Northside (real home)!!:D Sometimes I need to use my horsebox or boat trailer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

Passage West is a nice place to live. I love the line where you can walk/cycle. It also has the lowest crime rates in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

But you get all the disadvantages of rochestown (traffic and potholes) but none of the advantages as passage is a hole plus it is that bit further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

dextero wrote: »
    Passage West is a nice place to live. I love the line where you can walk/cycle. It also has the lowest crime rates in Cork!

I had to give up walking the old railway line from Passage to Rochestown because cars in both carparks were being broken into. Such a shame because it's a lovely walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I had to give up walking the old railway line from Passage to Rochestown because cars in both carparks were being broken into. Such a shame because it's a lovely walk.
    one of those car parks has cctv i think so I am surprised that anyone would break in to cars there. I have been hearing the same thing about ever walking area in cork though.

Advertisement