Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did I get a conditional offer before my results are out?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I received a conditional offer for a master's in UCD, but not for my other two choices there.

What gives? How can I have been offered a place - even conditionally - before I've uploaded a transcript of results?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

If you are a UCD student they may already have your results. If not, they might send an offer conditional on a 2.1 degree, this is only effective if you produce a transcript showing a 2.1 degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Isn't that the point of the 'condition' - i.e. you get the place if your grades are up to scratch? I got all my offers in early March of my last year when my final exams weren't until May.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Anonymous_Bosch

So why didn't I get a conditional offer from the other courses? Why just this one?

And if a conditional offer is based on nothing (I haven't submitted a writing sample, references or a transcript - nothing) wouldn't every applicant to the course receive a conditional offer, thereby rendering it meaningless?

It's like every applicant to a job getting a conditional offer for a job before doing the interview, with one person getting an unconditional offer after a successful interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I don't see what the issue is here. Surely your application made some statements, for instance that you were studying a particular programme, had got certain grades in earlier years or at Leaving Cert? This would allow your suitability for the Masters to be determined, subject to transcripts coming along before the offer became final.
    wouldn't every applicant to the course receive a conditional offer, thereby rendering it meaningless?

Every applicant the appeared to be qualified might indeed receive a conditional offer, how is this meaningless?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Anonymous_Bosch

The only information they have about me is that I studied the subject that my master's is in.

The courses that I haven't received a conditional offer for are not the subject of my degree, but are in a cognate discipline. Does that mean you go to the top of the list if the master's is the same field as your undergraduate degree? That would certainly explain it.

The only other thing I can think of is that the corresponding departments from both universities were in contact with each other when my application went through and their recommendation was enough to secure the conditional offer. But I'd say it's the former.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I don't know about top of the list but it stands to reason that if your undergrad is in the subject you wish to pursue at master's level or one broadly related to it that you're at a distinct advantage, from the college's perspective, compared to someone with an undergrad in something vastly different.

+1 on what graduate said, where is the issue? Different schools/faculties/advisors make decisions at their own pace and not having heard from your other choices yet is nothing to worry about. The amount of offers that go out is huge compared to the amount of people who actually take up the course - this doesn't make the offers meaningless, it just means there are lots of people who they would happily have on the course once they meet the standard.

I'm assuming they saw your application and the entry requirements are for example a BSc in xyz which you're projected to have by the time the course starts, therefore you got an offer. There's nothing shady about it, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ruby21

I got the same, conditional before they saw the transcripts, I'd say its so they get the non-refundable 500e off us all, let most in and when results come out chances are we wont all get what we needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

Usually conditional offers are offers based on you getting the minimum Grade , 2.2 or 2.1 Etc. and if you dont get that grade you dont get the course but are refunded the €500. At least thats how NUIG works..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

If you meet the conditions for an offer how long should it be before they confirm you have a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Oatesy

My class mate got offered a conditional offer and met all the requirements and recieved no such word. He had to call them up to get an answer , Theyll request proof of your results etc as they have no way of getting them otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Oatesy wrote: »
    My class mate got offered a conditional offer and met all the requirements and recieved no such word. He had to call them up to get an answer , Theyll request proof of your results etc as they have no way of getting them otherwise.

Ah right thats grand so, I sent them a copy of my results the other day so I should be alright.

Advertisement