Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongar Off License

Options
  • 10-06-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Has it closed down sorry if it has nice lads work there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yeah seems so. From what I heard was the landlord increased rent.

Good people working there and good choice of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Nice lads down there,

I thought business would pick up with the new pub opening...sad news

Yesterday evening I noticed a sign saying open in 2 weeks !!!

Looked in but all the stock was gone.
    Maybe new tenants soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sad to see, they had a nice little rang of beer too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Don't think its closed down.
    Sign on the door saying its closed temporarily for 2 weeks (which has been up since last Friday, 4th)
    Someone was in the shop yesterday doing some work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Saw that sign myself.
    Who knows might be back open. Most places that go bang dont usually put up a sign "back in two weeks" :pac:

but hey, never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I heard a rumour in relation to why the off licence is closed.

I heard a rumour in relation to why the off licence is closed.

Strange why they would clear out all the stock if it was just a short order closer?

A could of years a go I witnessing them permanently banning a polish man for buy beer for teenages

I dropped down to Molloys on the Clonsilla road for my few beers on Friday night. They have a good selection of brewdogs.

No O'Hara's which is a shame as Superquinn never have the IPA and I need to do a run to Drinkstore to get my fix of that!;)

• Advertisement

There is an O'Briens Off-Licence opening in the Centre opposite the EBS Building Society.

I always thought the Blanch Centre was missing an offie.

I always thought the Blanch Centre was missing an offie.

It did down the other end but it closed a few years ago have a very nice range. There is Dunnes Stores, too

oblivious wrote: »
    It did down the other end but it closed a few years ago have a very nice range. There is Dunnes Stores, too

I dislike the Dunnes off licence immensely :(

There used to be a good Off Licence over in Westend too. Had a great half hour in there one Saturday afternoon being given samples of vodka by the owner ;)

There was also Oddbins that used to be there over in the West end retail park.

O'Briens can be good but that place they are taking I hope they have a good beer section.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please be careful about repeating rumours on here in case you fall foul of defamation laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

a message from the staff:

thank you for all the kind words from us here at Coolers to the locals on Boards. to put the rumour's to bed. the reason we closed was because of high rent and nothing else. it was not sustainable. negotiations failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

a shame to see another empty unit on the main street! Are landlords still so greedy in the midst of a recession that they'd rather see an empty unit with no income rather than agree to a reduced price. It just drags down the vibrancy and life of the area. :mad:

I'll miss the place as the staff were always friendly and I tried to give them my custom over Dunnes as often as possible.

ongarboy wrote: »

I'll miss the place as the staff were always friendly and I tried to give them my custom over Dunnes as often as possible.

My sentiments too, maybe they will open up some in the area again

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

I am sad at this place closing. Like others here on the board I loved their range of beers and wines. The lads were always really nice too. Sad to see it go ! :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PurpleBaby

I cant believe that landlords continue to increase rent so far as to put people out of work and business. How does it make sense to have a property with a mortgage i pressume and not have it letted, Am i being ignorant in reasoning, sad to see the offie go... I hope the guys find work i know its trying in these difficult times,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Apparently AN off licence will be open at the end of the month!

Different name and owners :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Sorry to see it go, great range of beers and decent staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

I will boycot new offy and go to paddocks. Coolers was my main one but Landlords in ongar are greedy so I wont be giving them my custom

EDIT: unless they keep the staff that is, and no, im a carpenter before you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the big show

Have to agree paul lets hope staff are kept

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I hate to say this of Ongar, as a local who will be living here for the foreseeable part of a 35 yr mortgage, but between the leeching landlords emptying the village, the new Pub which is right away full of skobie-wan kenobies, bad planning and design in the first place and petty anti-social behaviour which will creep up as policing response is further choked, I dont look forward to what the place will be like in 5 years.

I do hope Im wrong though, and I applaud any community building initiative in an area that so far isnt one

Apologies for straying off 'offy' topic, I just think its symptomatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I hate to say this of Ongar, as a local who will be living here for the foreseeable part of a 35 yr mortgage, but between the leeching landlords emptying the village, the new Pub which is right away full of skobie-wan kenobies, bad planning and design in the first place and petty anti-social behaviour which will creep up as policing response is further choked, I dont look forward to what the place will be like in 5 years.

I do hope Im wrong though, and I applaud any community building initiative in an area that so far isnt one

I fully agree with every part of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Larbre34 wrote: »

Larbre you should set up an "ongar" thread i dont think there is one. The area is starting to drop a little last time i was at the off licence there was a black kid pissing up beside the flower shop in broad daylight,,,, saw an irish girl back of dunnes doing the same thing. Charming!"
    Back to the off licences i noticed the one on Clonee Village closed very fast also...and they had only just spent a thousands doing up the store! Very bizarre, I suppose lidl really did have that much of an impact on the smaller independant offy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PurpleBaby

what is the story with all the garda check points these days i went through two on thursday night and i was only dropping off a dvd, is it because of the pub being open ? I cant really comment on the pub as i have not been in what i see on the street is enough for me. I defo think though that in the years i ahve been here things are declining in the area, there is no sense of community out here anyway thats for sure. My mate broke down on the road yesterday and not one person stopped to help her push it in off the road but plenty stopped to give her abuse very sad if u ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

PurpleBaby wrote: »
    what is the story with all the garda check points these days i went through two on thursday night and i was only dropping off a dvd, is it because of the pub being open ? I cant really comment on the pub as i have not been in what i see on the street is enough for me. I defo think though that in the years i ahve been here things are declining in the area, there is no sense of community out here anyway thats for sure. My mate broke down on the road yesterday and not one person stopped to help her push it in off the road but plenty stopped to give her abuse very sad if u ask me

The Garda have been setting up checkpoints out here years. There main haunts are between littlepace and ongar along by the side of Littlpace stud. suppose a garda presence is good though:) also the roundabout to the back road to clonee village

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Apparently AN off licence will be open at the end of the month!

Different name and owners

Probably won't be half as decent and the deals will probably be scarce!

Advertisement