Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongar Off License

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Deals? HMm i dont recall Coolers doing many great deals :P
    Is it the same guys opening it? I wonder did they talk some sense into the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

ronan45 wrote: »
    Deals? HMm i dont recall Coolers doing many great deals :P
    Is it the same guys opening it? I wonder did they talk some sense into the landlord.

dont recall any deals either!

Molloys down by coolmine is the only place that does deal. A bit far if your just in from work and wanna relax with the missus. Coolers was what I would call a convenience offlicence. It was like the spar of the alco world. Prices were a bit above average, they had limited stock and you couldnt even buy smokes behind the counter which TBH I found very annoying. Nothing worse than having to fill a bloody smoke machine with small change after stocking up.

If your looking for cheap or a wide range of gargle then Molloys is your only man.

Id also like to add that I wouldnt give Dunnes a penny as any large shop that has no problem with leaving you in a Q for 45 mins should be shut. I get angry every time I go in there:mad: They make a bloody fortune off the population around it and dont give a rats about customer service. If tesco opened beside it Im sure they would up their game. But as usual they take advantage of the fact that some people just dont have time or the means to shop elsewhere. Holding us to bloody ransom.

:(Rant over sorry about that

Dunnes sometimes have great deals on beer, Case 24 beers for 20 euro etc, usually bank holiday weekends, ( Exactly as you say i cant stand the ques in there its Ridiculous!
    Yes Your right on Coolers there were no deals.
    Have you checked out also the offy in Tyrrlstown, they have some good deals too. A bit further out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

ronan45 wrote: »
    Dunnes sometimes have great deals on beer, Case 24 beers for 20 euro etc, usually bank holiday weekends, ( Exactly as you say i cant stand the ques in there its Ridiculous!
    Yes Your right on Coolers there were no deals.
    Have you checked out also the offy in Tyrrlstown, they have some good deals too. A bit further out though.

Ye my sister lives over there, Offy is nice.
    I agree that dunnes does deals alright , the only problem is that there all room temp. Anything you get out of the fridge is more expensive and never on deal.
    As they say, you wouldnt want a warm beer now would ye. Im too impatient to wait with them in freezer for my first cold one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Paul.C wrote: »
    dont recall any deals either!

Molloys down by coolmine is the only place that does deal. A bit far if your just in from work and wanna relax with the missus. Coolers was what I would call a convenience offlicence. It was like the spar of the alco world. Prices were a bit above average, they had limited stock and you couldnt even buy smokes behind the counter which TBH I found very annoying. Nothing worse than having to fill a bloody smoke machine with small change after stocking up.

If your looking for cheap or a wide range of gargle then Molloys is your only man.

Id also like to add that I wouldnt give Dunnes a penny as any large shop that has no problem with leaving you in a Q for 45 mins should be shut. I get angry every time I go in there:mad: They make a bloody fortune off the population around it and dont give a rats about customer service. If tesco opened beside it Im sure they would up their game. But as usual they take advantage of the fact that some people just dont have time or the means to shop elsewhere. Holding us to bloody ransom.

:(Rant over sorry about that

Thats a good Rant to be fair...exactly how I feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've heard the place will be opening up again Friday week.
    Its been re-fitted and decorated at the moment.

Going to be part of the "Carry Out" brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

While I would have preferred Coolers to remain, I'd rather the unit occupied then empty so that is good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must be particularly lucky, cos although Im frequently in Dunnes, at all times of day and night, even when it seems busy it never takes longer than 6-8 mins to get from end of queue through the till and out the door, and yet I read of biblical wartime ration queue type tales all the time on here. I wonder are they slight exaggerations?

Its not a perfect shop by any means, but since it got the big tidy up and efficient rearrangement a month or two ago, its pleasant enough.

To keep on topic, any new offy is welcome cos all competition is good, and hopefully they will carry some specialties that Dunnes dont cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Dunne's is a f'ing nightmare, hate the place hate the staff!
    When the Q is too long do what i do just leave your full trolley in the Q and walk off and go to SQ. KIP:mad:

robertxxx wrote: »
    Dunne's is a f'ing nightmare, hate the place hate the staff!
    When the Q is too long do what i do just leave your full trolley in the Q and walk off and go to SQ. KIP:mad:

Can't see the logic in that TBH. You'd already spent probably 30 mins plus filling up your trolley and then you'd just leave it there and waste maybe another hour to make the trip up to SQ (drive, fill the trolley all over again, queue, drive home) rather than just endure maybe 15/20 minutes max of a queue during the busier times?? Sounds like you have loads of time to spare in that case.

I rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes too. Why don't people alter their shopping times to more off peak times then. Just ask the checkout staff when those times are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

ongarboy wrote: »
    I rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes too. Why don't people alter their shopping times to more off peak times then. Just ask the checkout staff when those times are.

Dunnes Ongar manages to have queues even when there's no customers. And if you go there off-peak, they just have empty shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ongarite wrote: »
    I've heard the place will be opening up again Friday week.
    Its been re-fitted and decorated at the moment.

Going to be part of the "Carry Out" brand.

Carry Out do have some great deals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

January wrote: »
    Carry Out do have some great deals :)

Not a great range though !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

oblivious wrote: »
    Not a great range though !

Maybe if we hound them week in week out they will get in what beers we want ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm sure they'd order stuff in for you...

Molloys in clonsilla do a very good range on beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Maybe if we hound them week in week out they will get in what beers we want ;)

Carry Out seem to have the same (quite good) beer range in each store (Mulhuddart and Tyrrelstown at least), but they tend to be expensive. Molloys in Clonsilla or Superquinn in Blanch have better ranges and tend to be cheaper.

Carry Out seem to have the same (quite good) beer range in each store (Mulhuddart and Tyrrelstown at least), but they tend to be expensive. Molloys in Clonsilla or Superquinn in Blanch have better ranges and tend to be cheaper.

Yeah I have used all those stores for my beer tasting experiments.
    I usually goto Drinkstore on Manor Street for what I want but have used both Molloys (Clonsilla) and Carryout in Tyelstown a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

is this place open yet?

sambora wrote: »
    is this place open yet?

Wasnt yesterday anyway. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like its going to open very soon.
    Shop signs are up and the store looks fully stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

In a way the off licence has made me open my eyes and shop around a bit

Ive been going to Molloys in Clonsilla and think Ill stick with it from now on TBH

3 Liters of Bulmers for a tenner is great value,I usually get a box of 12 and that does me for a few days....

Open today. Just popped in and as Kev said I think I will stick with Molloys and Drinkstore in Manor street for good choice of beers.

Why is it a rip off kip??

Looked reasonable enough for prices but hadn't a good enough choice for my liking.

Not at all! Lots of deals now. 1 Litre Vodka 19.99 loads of deals on cans as well. Great store!

I paid my first visit there on Saturday evening and was impressed with the prices too. Great value on wine. The girl behind the till was rushed off her feet with the constant queue but she still managed to make eye contact, smile and greet/thank you for your purchase. I was impressed.

I preferred the interior of Coolers though - the lighting is a bit too bright and displays not as attractive.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I paid my first visit there on Saturday evening and was impressed with the prices too. Great value on wine. The girl behind the till was rushed off her feet with the constant queue but she still managed to make eye contact, smile and greet/thank you for your purchase. I was impressed.

I preferred the interior of Coolers though - the lighting is a bit too bright and displays not as attractive.

Ongarboy you shouldnt be in offys :D Agree with you the decor is off putting Very clinical looking and lighting too severe. Preffered the old style rustic look.
    Yeah its nice the staff actually say hi and are in general helpful. I remember the old crowd would sit at the end of the counter chatting to themselves. And then would casually walk to the till when you appeared hardly with even a thank you for your custom and never a smile! The new scottish chap there even offered to get me in some wine that he hadnt in stock. Fair Play ! Now thats the way to do it ! I hope they do well. And i will now get my drinks from there as opposed to Dunnes. top marks lads

But they don't have paper bags, only plastic which you have to pay for.

• Advertisement

But they don't have paper bags, only plastic which you have to pay for.

Your a gas man rob ;)
    lol Well If Im getting offers such as 19 Quid for a 1 litre bottle of Vodka and 24 quid for a tray of 24 Heino (1 quid a can). i aint gonna complain over the price of a bag lol.
    Do they give out paper bags across in Dunnes when buying alcohol?
    Bring a bag with ya :rolleyes: We cant have it all :P

Advertisement