Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The coombe / clamping of cord

Options
  • 10-06-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering if anyone has recently gave birth in the coombe ? I would like to know if they are reluctant to allow you to have the cord stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut ? I have requested in my birth plan that I would like the cord clamping/cutting delayed and the midwife who is running ante natal classes has just adv me that quote " they are not keen on this in the coombe" ? Can anyone adv me ref this ? Am I right in thinking they cannot force me to clamp/cut cord early ?

thanks in advance:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I had my baby in the coombe and they were fully supportive of this request. The midwife put my hand on the cord so I could feel it stop pulsating before she cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

Can I ask an ignorant question - why would this be important to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

They say it is like the equivilent of a blood transfusion for the baby, boosts Iron stores etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 macam girl

Can I ask an ignorant question - why would this be important to you?

It is just something I would prefer, I personally think that immediate clamping and cutting of the cord is just another in the long list of medical procedures that dominate childbirth here, it is done for convenience. If the cord is left to stop pulsating it benefits baby:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 macam girl

I had my baby in the coombe and they were fully supportive of this request. The midwife put my hand on the cord so I could feel it stop pulsating before she cut it.

Thanks How Strange,

Hopefully I will not have a problem with this after the birth so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just put it in your birth plan and discuss it with the midwives during labour if you get a chance :)

Would the same apply for a caesaerean (sp?)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would the same apply for a caesaerean (sp?)?

I'd say it depends on the reason for the c section... if it was truly an emergency case then they probably wouldn't be able to, especially if baby had to be rushed to NICU...

Thank so far but how about in a non-emergency case?

Advertisement