Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grumpy old git

Options
  • 10-06-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭

I like that title, I saw it on the 'age range' thread. Sounds just about right.

All these threads are way too cheerful. And honestly 25th school reunion! In two more years it will be 50 years since I left school, and next year I have to retire. I don't want to retire. And yet I know I am getting just a wee bit addled to work. And tired. How can I be tired? I'm no age yet.

Then you see those lines in the newspaper "An elderly lady was something something.....Mrs Blank Blank (63)...omg I'm older than an elderly lady!!

Its hard to shake that feeling that its all downhill from here though. Wouldn't you think that the one thing I should have learned by now is that there is always something round the next corner, and its down to me what I do with retirement. In fairness to me I am already planning!

I'm sitting here trying to think of something else to be grumpy about, and tbh there isn't a lot. :D No harm in having a thread to mutter darkly in though, get it out of your system!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭BlancheSparks

I have a question to ask..... is it better to be a grumpy git:mad: or a sadgit?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh grumpy definitely! You can get over grumpiness fairly quickly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

If you are a sad grumpy git you have serious issues I assume.

*Checks his issues*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Rubecula wrote: »
    If you are a sad grumpy git you have serious issues I assume.
    A grumpy sad git is the worst....a sad grumpy git is just a grumpy git who's feeling a bit down but will recover.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I prefer "Cantankerous".

• Advertisement

I dont think you can be a grumpy sadgit or a sad grumpygit, becauseone negates the other..... a sadgit is a anoraky kevin type of person who doesn't realize it but a grumpy git is someone who is fighting back cussing.gif
    :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's no such thing a s a grumpy old git, chances are you were just grumpy all through your life.

QI fact so it must be true.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Lots of people look on Grumpieness as a bad thing. I enjoy my Grump.
    Is that a bit oxymoronic? :confused:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Can't be doing with all these long words!

I think grumpiness is the alternative to those handwringing posts in PI - 'I've had a row with my best friend because she says my boyfriend is thick' kind of thing. At this stage in life you are not going to get into that kind of thing, more 'ok, so you think he's thick, I like him, and you are not that bright yourself, but I won't hold it against you'. Well maybe not boyfriend, but you get the gist.

More to do with you want to go and do a bit of gardening, but you know that bending over weeding will give you indigestion. Or set your hip off, or you will kneel down and not be able to get up.

Or saying - my memory is getting very bad, and some sprightly 40 year old say 'oh yes, I have that problem' and you think, you have no idea...but there is no point pursuing it, and by that time you have forgotten what you were complaining about anyway.

And then you get on to the serious stuff, like is there any chance Ireland will have sheltered accommodation by the time I need it. Will I end up in a nursing home? Why am I worried, that's still 20 years away. Or 15, or 10. Stop that! Go and do something useful. Mutter mutter.

K-9 wrote: »
    There's no such thing a s a grumpy old git, chances are you were just grumpy all through your life.

QI fact so it must be true.
    Moans And Groans:mad: cant even be grumpy anymore ..... it means I have a personality disorder:eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I prefer "Cantankerous".

I'm too young for it now, but I plan on using ''curmudgeonly' when the time comes. Its a fantastic word!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Alice1

I like cantankerous - but curmudgeonly is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I remember an elderly neighbour who used to refer to another grumpy old git as a "Curmudgeonly old trout"

Always liked the word although back then I never knew what it meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I like that word, so I want to be a curmudgeon too when I grow up;).

It says here.. "cantankerous, bad-tempered, miserly" but says nothing about age. So maybe only Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas who hold the Travel Pass should be allowed to take the title of Curmudgeon. That would rule me out for a little while yet. I remember travelling with 'Me Da' on the bus in the 70's and all he did was tap his top pocket at the bus conductors (remember them?).

I miss bus conductors. I also miss the match-strikers that used to be on the back of the seats - downstairs as well as upstairs. The 90 minute bus ride from Greystones to Trinity was a great place for a good relaxing cigar.
    And all bus conductors were cumudgeonly irrispective of age. :)

Whatever about bus conductors, they used specially breed people to work in Post Offices. They seem to have stopped as the species has much improved. Now I think of it same applied to Tax Offices, they take your money (and sometimes give it back) in a very pleasant and civilised way nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Alice1

looksee wrote: »
    a very pleasant and civilised way

An' what Post Office was that? In my (thankfully) rare dealings with them lately, I find them as surly as ever.

Well that was referring to the tax office really (the Glen in Waterford) but in general I find PO people much more relaxed and amiable than they used to be. Though thinking about it there are one or two exceptions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I know that Hugh Leonard used to write under The Curmudgeon in the Sunday Indo up until a few years before he died. I could read that stuff now (and understand or empathise) but when you're yet to hit the half century ....... life is all very positive. Not that I'm negative now ....... but I understand that it is a real emotion. Regardless of how negative it is :D
    Personally speaking, I only shout at the TV during soccer. And AFAIK don't get annoyed much. OK, will get my coat!

can I presume we have all stopped being grumpy now? We are curmudgeonly(can't remember how to spell it)

• Advertisement

/Checks pulse
    Nope, still here, still grumpy.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Not every day, but sometimes I can be an 'oul moan, usually when I'm worried but especially when the bills come in. Himself never gets upset or worries about anything, and I now understand why - he's got me to do it for him, like cooking, cleaning, ironing, etc., etc., so he kindly lets me do a double dose of worry now and again, keeps him cheerful, and me........well, an 'oul moan, I s'pose. When it comes to descriptives, my favourite is 'miserable 'oul sod! By the way, I'm just looking at the smilies here on my right as I write, and the 'frown' just doesn't do it for me when it comes to 'curmudgeonly', and there isn't one for 'excited', but that one could go very wrong. We need more smilies, let's have a protest march!

I'm all for smiles JB1

Here's 15 of them...it's all I'm allowed per post...:)
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Cicero wrote: »
    I'm all for smiles JB1

Here's 15 of them...it's all I'm allowed per post...:)
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

And what would a quorum be then? :)?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    And what would a quorum be then? :)?

You'd need to ask the mods of this forum about that..:)

Advertisement