Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for defending against a slanderous remark.

• 10-06-2011 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Please see the below email which has taken place between myself and Moderator Malice. It is important to note that I responded to a comment on a thread I had created for contact reasons with other musicians, the comment that I found on my thread was completely unwarranted and I was appalled that any such accusations were made. What I found more upsetting and worrying is that the moderator "warned" me and, further more, went on to personally insult me. I have every fate that this will be resolved on your side however if it is not I have the conversations saved and will ensure that this issue is highlighted to a greater audience.

(BOLD MALICE)

(Regular Me)

Hi Malice,

Thanks for the below, perhaps a public forum should be safe, even for the people who are insulted easily or are you implying that boards.ie is not safe for this type of person? I would hope as a Moderator who is representing this website you would feel that with your supervision this website is safe for all ages young and old, and not just the people who can take insults without any presumable consequence.

The manner in which you are talking about this website makes me question the very fabric and values of what this website is trying to convey- a safe place for people to talk on the internet. I hope that the admin are willing to stand by you opinion of this website and if they do I will have no problem abstaining from a site where you must not be insulted easily.

I have logged a formal complaint, thank you for your help and the link.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malice
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodzy
    Are you familiar with the term hypocrite?
    Perhaps you could enlighten me as to where I have been hypocritical or are you just throwing around big words in an effort to bolster your argument?
    Quote:
    Perhaps you could argue that a "moderator" should not be insulting a user of a website which is competing for an audience?
    Why is moderator in quotes? Am I not a moderator or something? If you are so easily insulted then perhaps, as I pointed out earlier, public forums are not for you.

Quote:
    I have in fact a far better memory than a gold fish
    Well why did you seem surprised to have been infracted for insulting another user?

Quote:
    and can safely say when someone accuses me of promoting some kind of presumable terrorist , referring to this 'Checked your you tube channel and Al Assad Syrian propaganda is all other it'
    He didn't accuse you of anything.

Quote:
    I have every right to defend myself as I am trying to promote myself as a professional and do not want such slanderous accusations made against myself or my work.
    Perhaps you could point out these slanderous accusations? All I see is a situation where someone's obviously clicked the wrong link on YouTube. Unless you know this Marc Benham poster in real life or something?

Quote:
    I would submit to you this; I have taken great insult in your comments and feel it is necessary to make the owner/ Co-owners of this website aware that moderators, be them voluntary or not have no right to speak to someone in a manner or tone such as the one you have used.
    Again I would say that if you're going to be so easily offended perhaps public forums aren't for you. Feel free to let the owners of this site aware of this conversation. As I wrote to you earlier, there is a dispute resolution forum on Boards. If you're so convinced that I'm handling this all wrong why haven't you taken your wall of text over there?

Quote:
    I am also questioning whether this email string should be made into a topic in order for others to view.I will also bring this up with the metro herald if needs be as this type of service from a website is simply not acceptable and I feel an apology is warranted. please note that all emails have been saved and will be posted regardless of the status you decide to pass on me.
    So in the first sentence you're debating whether to post these message and then in the last sentence you're saying they'll be posted regardless. Which is it?

Frankly we can send messages back and forth on this but I've got better things to do and I'm sure you do too. As I said earlier, you can take this dispute resolution forum if you feel you have a genuine grievance and we can get an admin to rule on the whole thing. So, before you reply back with another wall of text, please ask yourself whether you would be better opening a dispute first.

Are you familiar with the term hypocrite? Perhaps you could argue that a "moderator" should not be insulting a user of a website which is competing for an audience? I have in fact a far better memory than a gold fish and can safely say when someone accuses me of promoting some kind of presumable terrorist , referring to this 'Checked your you tube channel and Al Assad Syrian propaganda is all other it' I have every right to defend myself as I am trying to promote myself as a professional and do not want such slanderous accusations made against myself or my work. I would submit to you this; I have taken great insult in your comments and feel it is necessary to make the owner/ Co-owners of this website aware that moderators, be them voluntary or not have no right to speak to someone in a manner or tone such as the one you have used. I am also questioning whether this email string should be made into a topic in order for others to view. I will also bring this up with the metro herald if needs be as this type of service from a website is simply not acceptable and I feel an apology is warranted. please note that all emails have been saved and will be posted regardless of the status you decide to pass on me.

Re: You have received a warning at boards.ie

Quote:
    How did I get a warning for someone else posting on my thread?
    Do you have the memory of a goldfish? Perhaps this link might help. Now, if you read that carefully you'll notice you've called the other poster a troll and a clown. So, given the two insults in one thread, how about you read this which is the Bands & Musicians forum charter. In there you'll notice we don't allow insulting of other users. If you're not familiar with the term flaming it's defined here.

Quote:
    I think this is ridiculous especially when the previous author wrote on a thread I created?
    Why have you written this in the form of a question? Are you asking me if I think it's ridiculous? If you don't want people posting on a thread then maybe a public forum isn't for you.

Quote:
    Perhaps you should review your decision before I complain to one of your senior colleagues for a gross over use of your moderation 'power'
    Okay, I've reviewed it and I stand by my decision 100%. If you want to complain to a Music Category Moderator you can do so here. I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear from you.

Feel free to start a thread on the Dispute Resolution forum if you disagree strongly with any of this.

Or you can just go ahead and contact one of my senior colleagues about the gross overuse of my moderation power.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Woodzy appears to have omitted the events which lead up to his warning. This is the sequence as I see it:

Woodzy posts a thread advertising his availability.
    The user marc benham appears to have clicked onto some Syrian propaganda and raises his concerns
    I respond by posting what I assume is the correct link and verifying that there is nothing out of the ordinary.
    This is the key: Woodzy then responds calling marc benham both a troll and a clown.
    Woodzy receives a warning from me for insulting another user.

Admins can I pass this one on to you? I'm upholding my decision and have no wish to engage further with this poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Woodzy

Hi,

I have omitted nothing in my appeal perhaps if you cared to read the full report you would see that all of the above is mentioned. Admins while I appreciate Malice is clearly a advocate of the website and has kindly offered to be a moderator, his email string that he has sent me is absolutely not acceptable. As mentioned he insults and claims that public forums such as a website like this is not for people who are "easily insulted", I hardly think that you are promoting such a message? I would also like to add how he continually quotes my email and pick apart; grammar and other minor parts of the wording. While I am sure I am correct with my spelling should a moderator of a website be trying to undermine a legitimate complaint? If I have a son with learning disabilities, who has trouble with spelling or other grammatical issues, if he posts on this website is that the kind of treatment he will get? perhaps this website is not as clean and as professional as I thought.

I am eager to have these concerns resolved as I have younger family members who use this site on a daily basis and I am sure their parents are not aware of this kind of treatment.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sigh.

Malice, you could have been a bit more diplomatic in your first PM back there and we wouldn't have this DRP thread. However, I understand your frustration.

Woodzy, when someone causes trouble on a discussion thread, we don't want other folks arguing etc - we like the post to be reported (so a mod can deal with it), and subsequently ignored. I know that's hard to do sometimes, but that's the way we do it. You got a warning, which is a light slap on the wrist. No big deal unless you make it so.

Warning upheld.

(Meta: I'm recommending that we don't do DRP for warnings due to the time waste.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement