Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Omnia 7

Options
  • 10-06-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭

This is sort of a continuation of a thread I started where I was buying my wife a replacement for her lost iphone4. I was going to post at the end of that thread, but these are more omnia specific musings and when I was searching this forum myself I found a dearth of omnia 7 specific threads, so I figured it behoved me to post mine own impressions on a separate thread!

So.

I am an iphone4 user, having come from an iphone 3GS, and when I was upgrading my phone and having a little play and display fun in the phone shops, the omnia 7 really caught my eye. Gorgeous display and fresh interactive OS, made the ageing apple OS look tired and staid. But I had all my music on itunes, all my calendar stuff on ical, all my photos on iphoto, so you know hot it is, once a manufacturer gets his proprietary fangs into you it's hard to change over. Also stuff like the 8 gig memory allocation was a major no no, considering I was coming from a 32 gig apple 3GS.

But now, here I was, looking for a replacement phone for my disconsolate wife who had lost her iphone4 which I had bought her, so I plumbed for the samsung omnia 7.

What a score!

She loves it. It's a really smashing piece of kit. Zune works well with her itunes purchases, the OS is gorgeous, really interesting, really intuitive, a pleasure to use, and really refreshing after so long in apple land (for me). I've found myself looking enviously over at her handset as she discovers the latest neat aspect to it!

The 8 gig memory limit is definitely going to be an issue in the future, but for now, it's a really smashing, properly "smart" phone, a delight to use and a big hit in our household. Plus, as a phone for making and receiving calls, (something which I'd swear was a complete afterthought in the iPHONE!!) it's streets ahead of its apple rival, in our area at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Similar situation to me, I left an iPhone 4 in January for an Omnia 7 and I haven't looked back! Absolutely love it.

The sooner they bring Zune Pass to Ireland and when Mango drops ( http://engt.co/lbfcb6 ) It will be even better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

fat bloke wrote: »

The 8 gig memory limit is definitely going to be an issue in the future

Not an issue, it'll take a 32GB micro sd card bumping up the memory to 40GB.
    Bam take that iphone4 32GB:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not an issue, it'll take a 32GB micro sd card bumping up the memory to 40GB.
    Bam take that iphone4 32GB:)

Really???

Where? How? I was sure 'twas a fixed on board 8 gig job.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Really???

Where? How? I was sure 'twas a fixed on board 8 gig job.

Stones I'm wrong, just opened mine was full sure it had a micro sd slot, nope none there, I was certain.
    Major omission from the phone, there goes my dreams of 40gb of storage : (

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Ahh it thinks it's an iphone. I can understand why they done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

You can try and swap the Micro SD's in the phone. I know my HD7 can be changed relatively easily without breaking the warranty seal over the card.

Advertisement