Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember-Desmond Domican ?

Options
  • 10-06-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just the other day I was thinking back to the time I did Ballet. I remembered my teacher at the time was Desmond Domican. His dance school ( now no longer in existence) was in Parnell Square, he used to live with his mother above the school. I remember the patron of the school was the ballet dancer Anton Dolin, it used to state that on the glass arch above the hall door. Mr Domican was a very strict but great teacher. I remember he used to hold annual ballet shows ( which I was in) in the Dagg Hall (also known as the R.I.A.M Theatre in Westland Row ) back in the 60's/70's.

I tried to Google to see if there was any information about him, but there doesn't appear to be much. I did have some scrap book stuff from back then but it was amongst some items that got stolen on me. There was an article I recall from a newspaper back then ( most likely The Evening Press ) about Mr Domican, which also had a photo of him with two of his pupils.

Does anyone remember him? I don't know what happened to him or anything. But if you have any memories to share or even a photo of him, ( to jog the memory! ) that would be fab. Would love to hear any stories/memories,

Thanks

Cheers

Merlie :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rollingrock

Hello I also went to Desmond Domican and the shows we put on, I have two photos of the myself and partner in one of the shows with wigs and hired costumes. Do you remember the Dame Nina DeVal not sure how to spell her name she was once a prima ballerina. My name then was May Barry they always had me as a boy I was so tall there were two lads that danced as well they were Phill Cole and Jimmy Huse I think the came from Cabra at that time I lived in Buckingham Street and my partner was from Clontarf think her name was Catherine Boyle she was tiny. Look forward to reply if you get this. From May :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Expatricia

Hi, I never went to Desmond Domican's but remember the name really well. I went to two different teachers during the sixties, and his name was often mentioned. I remember going for a while to Jill something who had a studio on the top floor of the Irish Press office in Westmoreland Street, but I also went to Olga Mohan's place on Stephen's Green. I remember the Dagg Hall, too. The prima ballerina was Dame Ninette de Valois, by the way, and she was patron of the Royal Academy of Dancing in England, though she originally came from Wicklow and that wasn't her real name. She only died fairly recently at a good old age.

Hi I wan't to thank the last person who gave me the name of the Dame I was able to look her up on the computer, when I think how long ago it was. Thank you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Expatricia

You're more than welcome, May. Glad to help. It certainly is a long time ago! My mother was a dancing teacher in Dublin for years when I was small and she got me into it. She was a lot keener than I was, though! She is still going at the age of 92 and very proud to be a life member of the Royal Academy of Dancing. Do you remember the stuff we used to wear - those little pique white tunics? And for the shows in the Dagg Hall, the tutus? My little blue tutu, which was made by a woman who lived on the North Circular Road, I remember, is still in a box in my mother's house. At least fifty years old and still hanging together. Regards, Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emma11811

I went to his school too for years I loved it ,he had lots of dogs above the studio and he'd always put my hair in a bun for me.I went every sunday back in the 70s

• Advertisement

Hello Emma, At that time I lived in Buckingham Street and the girl that used to be my partner lived in Clontarf I have a photo of the Minuette in ballett we danced, can remember two boys that were in the class I was tall so I had to be the boy, Just thinking danced on stage in Indian costume on the side of the stage in the Dying Swan think I thought we could almost fly tip toe and our arms swining up and down. Think one of the boys name was Cole. Was long time ago. Glad to hear from any one who remembers. May

PS Where could I put up photo so you can see it some one might remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Raymond. 30

Hi there
    ye was talking to him way back 1973. I now. That's a long time ago
    I too was in his school. Along with my older sister who was a senior at the time. HELEN SMITH
    Iw as the principle boy in all his shows. In the Dagg hall
    I have a name or two you might. Remember
    Margaret Ryan. From Bulfin Road
    and Irene Dunne. I have some photos of myself and Irene. During a photo call. I think it was Hansel & Gretton
    kind rgds
    Ray

Hi there
    I too was in his school. Along with my older sister who was a senior at the time. HELEN SMITH
    and Irene Dunne. I have some photos of myself and Irene. During a photo call. I think it was Hansel & Gretton
    kind rgds
    Ray

Hi there
    kind rgds
    Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helena10

I started with Desmond Domican in a hall in Crumlin Village back in in the 60's and I just loved it from the first day.
    I then went to his school in Parnell Sq., where I went sometimes 2-3 times a week.
    I remember we had white tutus as we called them and a pink ribbon at the waist but we couldn't wait to move up the ladder and wear 'real' black leotards.
    Ah those were the carefree happy days!
    We did shows in the Music Academy which is still on Westland Row.
    I went up to see the old building in Parnell Sq., a few years ago (47) and it is now turned into offices.
    I think he sold it sometime back in the 70's /80's.
    Anyone else here from that era???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Twoarms

Merlie
    I typed a long message explaining that I remember Desmond Domican.  I am completely new to this Board or indeed any Board.  When I sent the message. I immediately got an error message and my reply is seemingly lost.  So here is a briefer version of what I sent to you.
    Desmond was a second Cousin. I first visited the Ballet School in Parnell Square in 1967 with my Mother Louise when I was just 14yo.   I am not sure of the exact family tree, my Mother would have remembered a lot as she was close to him when they were a lot younger.  My Mother passed away in 1991 ans so so have her three siblings so I have none to ask.  I live in the USA but I visited Parnell Square last October with my grown up daughter to show her where the ballet school was.  I remember the inside of the school quite well, and if my memory serves me, as you drive into Parnell Square from O'Connell Street and them make the right the ballet school was the third or fourth or maybe even fifth building on the left.
    If I remember any other information or have any family information I will let you know via this Board.
    A small footnote.  My Sister Maureen was a ballet dancer from the age of 14. She passed away all to early in 2013 at the age of 65.  Maureen danced in London and Munich for different ballet companies.  Quite extraordinarily Maureen never met Desmond.

Hope my little bit of information is of interest to you..

Twoarms

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Princess Elfie

I was just looking up info on Desmond. I didn't do ballet. I did Elocution lessons in the ballet studio with Desmond around 1990 I reckon. I just see he died in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Annabelle J

Does anyone remember the name of his two black and white poodles, who he addressed formally as Mr x and Mr x ? If he was not happy with your pirouette he would clap his hands and the two dogs would pirouette ! At the end of class he would mime Three Blind Mice, which always made my mother smile.

I went to classes in Mount Merrion and at the weekend in Parnell Square. The prize for the end of term exams was a pair of Anton Dolin’s shoes. I used to stop on the way home to buy chocolate Brazil nuts from The Confectioner’s Hall in O’Connell Street. What innocent days !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daddybird

I attended Desmond Domican’s classes in the 50s! Was his original school in Rathmines, by any chance? I think I remember his flamboyant style and his poodle but memories blend with family accounts, we miss the exotic personalities of those days. I loved ballet and was fortunate to continue with Joan Denise Moriarty at school. Does anyone know which number in Parnell Square?

Was anyone subjected to riding classes at Hume - Dudgeon’s, I’ve been scared of horses ever since!

All the best, Joanna

Advertisement