Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ide DVD drive problem in Windows 7

• 10-06-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

So I've been trying to install an old IDE DVD-RW (Pioneer 109BK) into a new build and I'm having a problem with it being recognised in windows 7.
    I'm using an IDE to SATA converter which I'm fairly positive is installed correctly, there is power in the drive (i.e. it opens, closes and whirrs when a disc is inserted) and the drive is recognised in the bios.
    However when I start up windows nothing happens, the drive is not discovered and there is no sign of it in device manager.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

What is the jumper set to ? If Master try Cable Select or vice versa ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I had overlooked that completely. I'm not entirely sure which is master and CS. It is 10 pinned and the plastic cap was vertically positioned on the furthest right pair.
    I've looked up jumper settings and changed them about a good bit trying to get it to work but it still hasn't. The SATA drives attached to my computer (HDD and this dvd-rw) were only recognised in the bios when the cap was in the middle (CS?) or furthest right (master?) though neither seemed to work in windows.
    Do master/cs settings vary from device? I see this in the pioneer manual below but can't figure out which is pin 1, 2 or 3 as there are no markings on the back of the drive or in the manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

The vertical pair furthest right is Pin 1 (Master) , next pair is Slave and 3rd pair is Cable Select . Optical drives are invariably CS-S-M from left to right btw . No harm in trying all 3 and then with no jumper . Power off before changing jumper position though .
    Have you any other IDE devices you can try out ? I'm wondering is there something in BIOS you'd need to enable - I've little experience with SATA to IDE converters ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Yeah I tried all four configurations alright. Slave and no jumper resulted in dvd drive not being recognised in the bios. Master and CS had the dvd-rw recognised in the bios but would not work in windows.
    Don't have any other IDE device unfortunately to troubleshoot further. It's not that important anyway, I was just interested in seeing if I could get it to work (bit annoyed I can't but hey). I think the solution is to get a sata drive!
    Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement