Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cows not holding to AI

• 10-06-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

im having alot of cow not holding to AI in the last month or two wondering does anyone else have this problem. some cows have been served 3 times and still not holding in calf. im using mostly bb ai and wondering would this effect the holding rate. few heifer i used limousin ai and they all held.

any advise welcome thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

How are you heat detecting?
    Last year I had a lot of repeats but I put it down to the vasectomised bull I was using for the first time. He would detect heats after about 6 weeks or so, much earlier than normal. When the season was over, even though I had alot of repeats, the average calving date didn't slip back at all.

I remember someone else posting here (can't remember name) saying they had the same thing happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

cattle man wrote: »
    im having alot of cow not holding to AI in the last month or two wondering does anyone else have this problem. some cows have been served 3 times and still not holding in calf. im using mostly bb ai and wondering would this effect the holding rate. few heifer i used limousin ai and they all held.

any advise welcome thanks.:)

breed won't make a difference, but there are alot of variables when trying to get cows in calf, cow nutrition and health, on the other side that you have a competant ai operator. I ai my own cows and the only thing i can think off if every thing else is up to scratch is has something happened these straws like thawed out and put back in, where are they stored and is it just one BB bull that you are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

pakalasa wrote: »
    How are you heat detecting?
    Last year I had a lot of repeats but I put it down to the vasectomised bull I was using for the first time. He would detect heats after about 6 weeks or so, much earlier than normal. When the season was over, even though I had alot of repeats, the average calving date didn't slip back at all.

I remember someone else posting here (can't remember name) saying they had the same thing happen.

im using a 15month old bullock and he seems to have no trouble picking out cows often some cows were only calved 6-8 weeks and thy were ai 'd but they dont seem to be holding in the last 4 weeks the cows i ai'd 3 or 4 weeks ago over 50percent are repeatting.

today i got 3 cows ai'd 2 of which were ai'd 3 weeks ago and one of those was also ai'd 6 weeks ago. the other one was a cow calved sense 1st of april but was only coming inheat for the first time today

funny man wrote: »
    breed won't make a difference, but there are alot of variables when trying to get cows in calf, cow nutrition and health, on the other side that you have a competant ai operator. I ai my own cows and the only thing i can think off if every thing else is up to scratch is has something happened these straws like thawed out and put back in, where are they stored and is it just one BB bull that you are using?

all cows were given allsure boluses 6 weeks before calving and these are suppose to last 6 months so should be ok for minerals. we are using a range of different bb bulls and it is an ai technican do the ai'ing so im sure he nos what he s doing and keeps the straws and flask in top order i hope anyway:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Consider giving GnRH injection such as Ovarelin, Receptal at or just before breeding, ask you technician about it.

Also consider getting them scanned although a good AI technician will be able to feel something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

maybe let the bull in ... its strange that the heifers ai'd earlier held and the cows didnt

What way do you time the AI?
    Do you always know when the cows are in standing heat?

Have a read through these;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096236
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71273088

Consider giving GnRH injection such as Ovarelin, Receptal at or just before breeding, ask you technician about it.

Also consider getting them scanned although a good AI technician will be able to feel something wrong.

what does ovarelin or receptal do for them never heard of it before to be honest.

had vet out on wednesday and he scan some of the cow and could see nothing wrong with them couldnt give me a reason for them repeating.

pakalasa wrote: »
    What way do you time the AI?
    Do you always know when the cows are in standing heat?

Have a read through these;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096236
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71273088

ya normally if there waiting for the bullock or a cow in the morning then ai that evening and if waiting in the evening ai next morning

what would be considered a normal percentage of repeats with cows using only ai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 kennedy138

when the weather improves the cows will start holding again. weather is most important factor getting cows in calf . cold/freezing wind heavy showers temperature 2c here last night .cows stressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

cattle man wrote: »
    what would be considered a normal percentage of repeats with cows using only ai

If everything is right (timing, AI man technique, semen handling & storage etc), then about 65% will go in calf, 35% will repeat. If you AI the repeats, again about 65% will go in calf, 35% will repeat, same for these repeats 65/35.

So if you have 100 cows, you could have 12 cows show heat 3 times despite insemination each time, and 4 show 4 heats, and 1 show 5 heats, and yet everything is totally normal.

Some people have trouble believing this but it is true.

LostCovey

LC,
    I think those that value of 65% refers to dairy cows. Sucklers should be higher. Don't know the value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

five out the 6 cows that have been ai'd so far have repeated on me this year. i would'nt mind but they all got high fertility boluses after they calfed and i have left buckets of lick in the fields with them. its a right pain in the arse

five out the 6 cows that have been ai'd so far have repeated on me this year. i would'nt mind but they all got high fertility boluses after they calfed and i have left buckets of lick in the fields with them. its a right pain in the arse

totally agree

its a right pain in the arse.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

are you vaccinating for lepto?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Bogman,

I was wondering about Lepto. Last year I got additional bloods taken to check cows for a whole lot of different diseases. When they all came up clear I didnt bother doing anything. Should I still vaccinate against Lepto? I am asking because I had 2 cows break after 12 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

i didnt vaccinate for lepto but was talking to the vet this morning and she advised me to have blood test done to see if anything comes up. she said it might be bvd of lepto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AI man123

Hi, no disrespect to your vet but i find a lot of vets lack practice and experience when it comes to reproductive scanning, get some one like Dr Dan Ryan(expertly scans about 500-700 cows per day) or one of his team to come in and do an assessment of your herd and that should get to the root of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

we vaccinated after an abortion last year and it made a huge difference to fertility. All bar 2 autum calvers held to first service and the two repeats held second time. Should have all calved in 6 or 7 weeks. Though in saying that I'm still waiting on two late spring calvers to come cycling

• Advertisement
Advertisement