Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Lessons/Test Athlone

Options
  • 10-06-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi
    I'm just wondering does anyone have an opinion on Tony's School of Motoring in Athlone?

I'm doing my test soon, been driving for 2 years. I was hoping to just get a few lessons before the test.

I feel that by the end of the lesson I was completely confused nearly to the point where I had forgotten how to drive!!

He talked for most of the lesson and I sat listening in my stationary car. I felt he was giving me excessive instructions and sometimes what I thought was irrelevant information, for example he said I can get penalised for using my indicator/hand break/gears in a harsh or forceful way!!! is this crazy? I dont think i was too forceful, i think i was using them with purpose not force. He also said I was looking in my mirror too much. I dunno what to think.

Has anyone else used him?
    Is it just me?
    I really thought I'd be ok for the test, now I'm very worried.
    I do feel a bit bad for criticising the guy but I really just wanna know if its him or me!!

I know I need to get another 2/3 lessons but I was confident enough before this lesson.mad.gif

Finally who would you recommend and what are they charging? I am looking for a good price as im skint! Let me know as soon as you can!

Thanks
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Personally I'd recommend Harry McElroy, (McElroy School Of Motoring), passed on my first go. He's a no bull**** kind of instructor you can get him on 090 6494263.

But, if you've already had instruction from two driving instructors, you (in theory) should be well set.

Should mention, if you use your indicators "abruptly" you will be penalised. You need to give a considerable warning, so if you use your indicators just before/during the turn you will be penalised. Don't worry about indicating "early" just give considerable warning before you make a turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sineadsss

What date is your test?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aibrean

I know its not Athlone however....I would recommend Moate school of Driving! Joe Larkin is the man who does them! He's very good an thorough! :) Good Luck with your test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Personally I'd recommend Harry McElroy, (McElroy School Of Motoring), passed on my first go. He's a no bull**** kind of instructor

Yeah I'd agree, though he can be a tempermental fecker, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him. But yeah, no chit-chat or time wasting with him, he gets the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

i had a great instructor, passed test first time, had lessons from andys driving school, very good and thorough and very cheap, hes number is 087 7744772, he teaches in most areas, galway roscommon athlone and other areas to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I cant remember who i got lessons with it's a pity, cos the driving instructor was A1 and gave me a lot of information on what to do when i was taking the test. Reading your post i picked up on the following points.
    naruwek wrote: »
    I feel that by the end of the lesson I was completely confused nearly to the point where I had forgotten how to drive!!

If this was the case then you didn't know how to drive at least to the standard of the RSA.
    He talked for most of the lesson and I sat listening in my stationary car.

As with all first driving lessons the driving instructor has no idea how educated you are with the rules of the road or any idea how your driving is in general is. The first lesson is more about the information you need to know before you start driving under the instructors tutor. To take you out on the road without the required information would be, unprofessional on the part of the instructor and could be dangerous to both of you.
    I felt he was giving me excessive instructions and sometimes what I thought was irrelevant information, for example he said I can get penalised for using my indicator/hand break/gears in a harsh or forceful way!!! is this crazy

No it is not this is the information you need to know in order to pass your test. Also if the information is too much and your getting confused it's down to you the learner to ask for clarification. Driving instructors are not mind readers.
    I dont think i was too forceful, i think i was using them with purpose not force.

This seems like an excuse to me your just playing semantics switching too forceful for with purpose. If your instructor tells you that your gear changes are too forceful then there too forceful.

He also said I was looking in my mirror too much. I dunno what to think.

Then ask him for clarification, where/when and how often ? If your not getting clear answers to the questions then tell him to explain again.
    I know I need to get another 2/3 lessons but I was confident enough before this lesson.mad.gif

Your confidence will return, if you do as the guy asks you and you ask for clarification where it's needed then i dont see why you cant pass the first time. When i had my first lesson was much the same as yours i thought i was just going to get in the car and drive but it turned out a lot different than i had thought, but i passed first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dit guitar society

the man is fantastic,
    i did two yrs of lessons in dublin, kept failing in finglas
    (assholes)
    went down for lessons with harry for four weeks and passed straight away.
    he is helpful without putting any pressure on you.

Advertisement