Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

question on sky epg and fta

• 10-06-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

i have a sky standard box downstairs without a sky card and i can get the full epg for the whole week of every station on it.

I have a second box a combo box but i do not get the full epg almost nothing . still getting all the free stations does anyone know how this is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭liamtech

jamescc wrote: »
    i have a sky standard box downstairs without a sky card and i can get the full epg for the whole week of every station on it.

I have a second box a combo box but i do not get the full epg almost nothing . still getting all the free stations does anyone know how this is?

There are two functional EPG's coming in from Astra 28.2 -

-The Sky EPG - This is only receivable on Sky Boxes, whether they are active subscriptions or FTA/FTV - 7 days

-The Freesat EPG - Only receivable on FreesaT AND Freesat+ boxes - Also 7 day guide

The only truely FTA information coming off this satellite is the Now and Next - which does exactly what it says on the tim - Most Free to air receivers have no issue showing this data - for example - BBC1 - Now: Doctor who - Next: Strictly come dancing - But thats the only info you will get on a FTA receiver -

There are several exceptions to this in the form of Linux based boxes that have the ability to read either the Freesat or Sky EPG - they are usually only capable of doing this using software patches -

Im sure you'll get a number of responses to your query - TBH i find it difficult to explain in text form - Its just something i know from using satellite equipment for years-

It should be noted that there is EPG data coming off other satellites such as the german 19.2 but this is of little use unless you wish to watch german state TV - For the record i do watch 19.2 and so far every FTA receiver i have shows an almost Full EPG

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rob the satman

Simply put, a Sky (or Freesat) box has a programme guide that uses a system that is 'specific' for those boxes, an 'ordinary' receiver like your combo does not have this built in as Sky/Freesat keep it for their receivers only. Your combo box only has the standard form of decoding programme information (dvb) not the Sky/Freesat (MHEG). With channels from 28 east your box will only show now and next information, but on the German channels from 19 east it will show the 7 day's programmes as they transmit their programme information using the standard (dvb) form

Sorry did not see previous post

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

liamtech wrote: »
    There are two functional EPG's coming in from Astra 28.2 -

-The Sky EPG - This is only receivable on Sky Boxes, whether they are active subscriptions or FTA/FTV - 7 days

-The Freesat EPG - Only receivable on FreesaT AND Freesat+ boxes - Also 7 day guide

The only truely FTA information coming off this satellite is the Now and Next - which does exactly what it says on the tim - Most Free to air receivers have no issue showing this data - for example - BBC1 - Now: Doctor who - Next: Strictly come dancing - But thats the only info you will get on a FTA receiver -

There are several exceptions to this in the form of Linux based boxes that have the ability to read either the Freesat or Sky EPG - they are usually only capable of doing this using software patches -

Im sure you'll get a number of responses to your query - TBH i find it difficult to explain in text form - Its just something i know from using satellite equipment for years-

It should be noted that there is EPG data coming off other satellites such as the german 19.2 but this is of little use unless you wish to watch german state TV - For the record i do watch 19.2 and so far every FTA receiver i have shows an almost Full EPG

thanks but i have to say i don't know much about satellites or linux or how they work

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

that's ok it makes sence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭liamtech

jamescc wrote: »
    thanks but i have to say i don't know much about satellites or linux or how they work

To be honest these linux boxes are not massively popular due in part to a usually hefty price tag - they are not "ordinary" free to air boxes or combo boxes -

As a rule of thumb - you can only get a 7 day Guide on a freesat box or a Sky box - this is true in 99% of cases:

thats only true for satellite TV (we will keep it simple and forget about german satellites for now)

You should however be able to receive a 7 day guide on the Terrestrial channels you receive on your combi box - At least for now, Saorview are transmitting their EPG in an extremely basic and largely compatible way - This may change eventually but nothing is certain on that front!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
Advertisement