Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths Paper 2 " Let's fight back :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

jamesr1775 wrote: »
    guys checkout example 2 and example 4 on pg364/365 of text and tests 4(green one) .
    Could be possible questions for circle since they're throwing up obscure questions.
    Definately worth a look anyway peeps =)

Just had a look.
    Example 2 is algebraic parametrics of a circle. Parametrics of a curve came up on P1, so you should know how to do them..
    Example 4 is finding proving the locus of a point is a circle, without being given the centre, but given two points on the circle. You then need to find the radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jamesr1775

yea then u have to state if its a circle or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 spazzy

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Yea, the examiners might ask us where they're going on holidays, I know it's not on the curriculum, but sure that didn't stop them yesterday did it? :pac:

"Q6a

(i) There are loads of people complaining about paper one. What's the probability you passed?

"

good one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Michael_E wrote: »
    I know all the proofs now, I think. The Perpendicular distance one is so easy to make mistakes in, though.

Thanks to whomever linked to the concurrent lines site, it was REALLY helpful :)

I'm going to spend tonight doing the tan inverse series and let that be that for today.

hey what proofs did you learn because i dont know the proofs, we never did them :( and if you used a site could you link it or just say what site it was thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

GV_NRG wrote: »
    hey what proofs did you learn because i dont know the proofs, we never did them :( and if you used a site could you link it or just say what site it was thanks! :)

Nope - book :) I'll list them now for ya:
    • Perpendicular Distance - Text and Tests 4, pages 93-95.
    • Slope between two lines (tan A =....) - Text and Tests 4, pages 98-99
    • Equation of a tangent to a circle - Text and Tests 4, page 356
    • cos^2x+sin^2x=1 - This I didn't use the book, I worked it out myself. I'll be glad to do it out and show you if you like :)
    • Cosine Rule - Got a nice proof online, here. I thought that the triangle on the left is easier, I thought. [.pdf format]
    • cos (A+B) and related proofs - Text and Tests 4, pages 144-146
    • cos 2A = cos^2A-sin^2A - Did this myself. Just did cos(A+A) and worked from there.
    • Sin2A - Same story as cos2A, above.
    • tan2A=2tanA/1-tan^A - Same, tan (A+A). On page 150 of Text and Tests 4.
    • cos2A (and sin2A) into tan - Text and Tests 4, page 152-153
    • cos^2A (and sin^2A) into 1/2(1 +/- cos2A) - Text and Tests , page 150.
    • Difference equations - came up last year, but it's in Text and Tests 5, page 189.
    • Linear transformation proofs (that f maps line to a line, and a pair of || lines to another pair of || lines) - Text and Tests 5, pages 201-202

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

For 2008 paper 2 Q7 C (ii)
    I've gotten to the part where you sub the values for d1, d2, and d3 in. I saw in the marking schemes that 2B's start coming in out of nowhere.
    Anyone care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Nope - book :) I'll list them now for ya:
    • Perpendicular Distance - Text and Tests 4, pages 93-95.
    • Slope between two lines (tan A =....) - Text and Tests 4, pages 98-99
    • Equation of a tangent to a circle - Text and Tests 4, page 356
    • cos^2x+sin^2x=1 - This I didn't use the book, I worked it out myself. I'll be glad to do it out and show you if you like :)
    • Cosine Rule - Got a nice proof online, here. I thought that the triangle on the left is easier, I thought. [.pdf format]
    • cos (A+B) and related proofs - Text and Tests 4, pages 144-146
    • cos 2A = cos^2A-sin^2A - Did this myself. Just did cos(A+A) and worked from there.
    • Sin2A - Same story as cos2A, above.
    • tan2A=2tanA/1-tan^A - Same, tan (A+A). On page 150 of Text and Tests 4.
    • cos2A (and sin2A) into tan - Text and Tests 4, page 152-153
    • cos^2A (and sin^2A) into 1/2(1 +/- cos2A) - Text and Tests , page 150.
    • Differential equations - came up last year, but it's in Text and Tests 5, page 189.
    • Linear transformation proofs (that f maps line to a line, and a pair of || lines to another pair of || lines) - Text and Tests 5, pages 201-202

awh you legend thats just fu**ing brilliant thanks very much! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

PJelly wrote: »
    For 2008 paper 2 Q7 C (ii)
    I've gotten to the part where you sub the values for d1, d2, and d3 in. I saw in the marking schemes that 2B's start coming in out of nowhere.
    Anyone care to explain?

Think of (x1 - x[bar]) as a single thing. Imagine it as "a". Then (a - b)^2 is a^2-2ab+b^2.

Is that the bit you're struggling with?

k^2 = ((d1-b)^2)/3 + ((d2-b)^2)/3 + ((d3-b)^2)/3
    = (d1^2 + B^2- 2d1(B))/3 ..........

Then factor out - 2b from d1 d2 d3
    now u can let d1+d2+d3 = 0 from part (i) of question
    so its -2b(0) and ur left qith k^2 = (d1^2 + d2^2 + d3^2 + 3B^2)/3
    then divide the 3B^2 by the 3 under fraction and bring it over to k^2 side

Yup, got it. Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement

any one else staying up all night for maths? im thinkin about it and then just taking like a few breaks or somthin

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

any one else staying up all night for maths? im thinkin about it and then just taking like a few breaks or somthin

If it was another subject I would say go for it if you have the stamina....... But maths well if it will be like Friday then you might need to have alot of concentration and not be falling asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Daniel S

This is a bad idea and a very good idea, all rolled into one!

ie, I need to, but shouldn't. I marked my own paper one with what I think is fair and I think I got 33%. I'm learning every proof for paper two and making damn sure I get more than 47% so I could still do the special entrance exam, and possibly use the 40 points from a pass in honours.

A C3 is out the window though, don't think I'll get 55% overall unless they mess with paper ones marking scheme.

If it was any other year, I'd be fairly confident of a C/B. Wtf was paper one...

Please, for the love of little puppies.... make paper II do-able for those not particularly good at maths.

Also, can someone send me a link to the "Linear transformation proofs", can't seem to find them anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

ok I've never seen anything like them should I be freaking out? I'd really like some reassurance after yesterdays disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ditzie wrote: »
    ok I've never seen anything like them should I be freaking out? I'd really like some reassurance after yesterdays disaster!
    You should've done them back when you were first learning trig identities. Secant, Cosecant and Cot are nothing to be feared. Just change them to sin, cos or tan using your log tables and proceed as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Don't do this.

Maths is not a "learn off and regurgitate" subject; as Friday should have proven, it's important to *think*.

Adequate sleep is a prerequisite.

yea true so i guess if ur going to do it you shouldnt get some proper sleep till around 10-11 pm on sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Im so pissed off I forgot my calculator for Paper 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

I#ve got revise wise maths. Its from 06 but I'm presuming its the same with just older questions but it has loads of dot product proofs for vectors.Like proving all the properties and proving pythagoras from vector methods. Do we need to know these. Some are straight forward but some are really long and complicated. usually I'd be like ok, prob wont come up but after paper one.........
    Anyone any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I honestly hate paper 2, I'm terrible at it! I can't see how I'll be able to use it to bring up my marks. :( All I can do quite easily on it is the line question, the vectors question, the probability second question and may be the circle one! I'm hopeless at trig and most probably the probability ones will be super hard. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

Quick silly tangent slope question...
    You know how the quick way to get the slop of a tangent is -B/A?
    Well, I thought that the X is always taken as A. So.. 3x-2y+y=o would have a slope of 2/3
    But I've got y-2x=0. So I re-arranged it to make 2x-y=0 (multiply across by a minus) so I had a slope of 1/2. But the slope is 2. So they took A as Y and B as X.

Are you not able to multiply across by a minus in a tangent? Does that mess up its location completely?

It's actually -A/B not -B/A

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Theres definetly gona be a standard deviation and im gona guess it'll be abstract. 2002 is a good question as it invloves alpha and beta and a little different to the rest, hope this helps

Anyone else thinking that the option question will have the approximation for pi?

It's the last year of the options, well these ones, and I don't think it's ever been asked. Could this be another Q8(c) [disc for those who choose to block it out]..

Just realized that if it came up it'd be Q8(c) anyway :P

Another McLaurin question here.
    It's the type that I think might come up, the abstract-ish kind.
    2007 Q B (ii) I need to prove it converges. So I got my Ur. and my Ur+1. Started to divide but it wasn't working out. Looked at the marking scheme. And it STARTED with Ur+1. And then subbed in r-1. Which got them Ur. Why is this? I don't see where it says you start with Ur+1. I was under the impression that you are given the Un or Rn. And you must get the Un+1 or Rn+1.
    Anyone care to shed a little light on the situation?

Anyone else thinking that the option question will have the approximation for pi?

It's the last year of the options, well these ones, and I don't think it's ever been asked. Could this be another Q8(c) [disc for those who choose to block it out]..

The quotient rule was also never asked in the history of this current course either. I expected it to come up.

Judging from the previous thread where you basically saved my live, I'm going to take what you say as gospel!

robobobo wrote: »
    It's actually -A/B not -B/A
    That... was resolved like 3/4 hours ago :p
    Thanks anyway :D

AHH GUYS something just hit me!

Circumcentre, Orthocentre, Centroid!

We went through them in so much detail in TY and never since, since we only did exam questions. Just a thought, but maybe one or two questions tomorrow will help?

AHH GUYS something just hit me!

Circumcentre, Orthocentre, Centroid!

We went through them in so much detail in TY and never since, since we only did exam questions. Just a thought, but maybe one or two questions tomorrow will help?
    You can be asked to prove those?
    The last time I saw one of those was in a vector question. Orthocentre I think. It was only needed for the question, to prove something. Not prove the Orthocentre itself.

You can be asked to prove those?
    The last time I saw one of those was in a vector question. Orthocentre I think. It was only needed for the question, to prove something. Not prove the Orthocentre itself.

No just general questions on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I was thinking the same thing. If the Pi approximation does come up it'll be something along the lines of the following

A theoretical question as to why the Leibniz series isn't a good approximation for X followed by perhaps a question on the inverse tan result and then at last an approximation for Pi. That'd be worst case scenario though.

That said, it'd be an excellent Q8c though. I'd much rather a Pi approximation question than a nasty Max/Min question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement