Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Honours Maths Paper 2 " Let's fight back :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

PJelly wrote: »
    That awkward moment when you manage to spill your tea on every single maths book you own at the same time.

Tea with the exam would be nice...

"AW, it was all correct, i'm sure of it, but whoops, wasted my tea, spilled it, can't read it, i'll have my A, please. :D"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Does anyone reckon they will fúck us over on Paper II aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

That awkward moment when you manage to spill your tea on every single maths book you own at the same time.

The even more awkward moment when you realise you'll need the project maths ones next year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

The general term of that is in the log tables :pac:

Oh yeah.. That's like the end of the binomial or something..?! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Shanee. wrote: »

70% certain its going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

Yes, I have a really bad feeling about tomorrow, I've been studing my brother's past papers from the 1990's :rolleyes:. My neighbour (a retired maths teacher) said the paper 1 questions were similar in style to those, So I think It might be true for paper 2 also.

70% certain its going to happen

Ah FFS, surely they wont make much alterations to the Paper. Once its more do-able than Paper I, I don't really mind tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 john1741

Normaly I would say no, its not like they could change it that much but after P1 Im just studying and hoping for the best

I've every paper done back from 2010 to 2004. I should speed up if I want to pass :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Ah FFS, surely they wont make much alterations to the Paper. Once its more do-able than Paper I, I don't really mind tbh.

Well, if you rely on Stats or Probability, you should recognise that project maths puts a lot of emphasis on those topics. I'd say we're due some more project maths questions, more than a bad paper.

• Advertisement

Well, if you rely on Stats or Probability, you should recognise that project maths puts a lot of emphasis on topics. I'd say we're due some more project maths questions, more than a bad paper.

It annoys me that they're trying to mix the topics. We aren't thought like project maths. We are just basically shown "This is how you do this question, this is how you do this type of question". Due to the size of the course there's no time to stop and go through methods in detail and show WHY they work and the theory behind them.
    Hence what happened with Paper one :rolleyes:

Well, if you rely on Stats or Probability, you should recognise that project maths puts a lot of emphasis on topics. I'd say we're due some more project maths questions, more than a bad paper.

Well there my strong questions, they better have a difference equation as a full part (b).

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

It annoys me that they're trying to mix the topics. We aren't thought like project maths. We are just basically shown "This is how you do this question, this is how you do this type of question". Due to the size of the course there's no time to stop and go through methods in detail and show WHY they work and the theory behind them.
    Hence what happened with Paper one :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I was thinking... we're not thought like others doing project maths are.... we're just thought how to do it not why we do it .. It sucks :( I'm a repeat and was hoping to at least bring up my grade a bit (I need it points wise...) but now I don't know :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Balletskank

Based on inspection on Q8(c) 2002 the Maclaurin Series for inversetan's general term would be
    (-1)^(n+1).x(2n-1)/
    (2n-1)!
    Right? Buuuut isnt that the same general term for sinx? So unbearably confused.

Take a look at 2004 p2 Q 4 b(ii). If one of those questions is asked, it'll probably be a trickier one like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PoisonIvy

I just looked up a few project maths probability q's... If they put that on our paper I will literally have no chance of passing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dollybirdmary

Michael_E wrote: »
    Nope - book :) I'll list them now for ya:
    • Perpendicular Distance - Text and Tests 4, pages 93-95.
    • Slope between two lines (tan A =....) - Text and Tests 4, pages 98-99
    • Equation of a tangent to a circle - Text and Tests 4, page 356
    • cos^2x+sin^2x=1 - This I didn't use the book, I worked it out myself. I'll be glad to do it out and show you if you like :)
    • Cosine Rule - Got a nice proof online, here. I thought that the triangle on the left is easier, I thought. [.pdf format]
    • cos (A+B) and related proofs - Text and Tests 4, pages 144-146
    • cos 2A = cos^2A-sin^2A - Did this myself. Just did cos(A+A) and worked from there.
    • Sin2A - Same story as cos2A, above.
    • tan2A=2tanA/1-tan^A - Same, tan (A+A). On page 150 of Text and Tests 4.
    • cos2A (and sin2A) into tan - Text and Tests 4, page 152-153
    • cos^2A (and sin^2A) into 1/2(1 +/- cos2A) - Text and Tests , page 150.
    • Difference equations - came up last year, but it's in Text and Tests 5, page 189.
    • Linear transformation proofs (that f maps line to a line, and a pair of || lines to another pair of || lines) - Text and Tests 5, pages 201-202
    There is an even easies proof of the cosine rule .
    just use a triangle with corners (0,0) (b,0) and (cCosA,cSinA ) and the distance formula . If the determinent of the transformation matrix of a linear transformation is + or minus 1 the transformation is an Isometry!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

If paper 2 will be anything like paper 1 and contains elements of project maths, then I'm fuked. :'(:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    If paper 2 will be anything like paper 1 and contains elements of project maths, then I'm fuked. :'(:'(

Me too ....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Question for ye:

In linear transformations (co-ordinate geometry of the Line) do we have to know the proof that a line segment is mapped onto a line segment (NOT the proof that a line is mapped onto a line - I know we have to learn that)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Is anyone here doing the Group Theory option?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

I am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Catacomb

I read group therapy (have been lingering in this thread for too long)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

...which this thread is!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

...which this thread is!

?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

polka dot wrote: »
    I am :)

Okay, grand!
    I'll do the solution for that as well as the further calculus. :)

Anyone doing probability and ellipses, sorry. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

Malty_T wrote: »
    ?:confused:

The thread is kind of like group therapy for all the Leaving Certs coming on to vent. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dollybirdmary

First let everybody put paper 1 behind us .It's finished and the truth is apart from 2c(iii),7c(ii) and 8c ( I reckon they will give 10 marks for writing down the Integral) the rest of it was not that bad .
    Now about paper 2 .
    If we only have to worry about the c(ii) and c(iii) parts then happy days .
    With regard to proofs if you intend doing a question that contains a proof learn that proof!
    Vectors will be the easiest question and the option will be most important .
    do not worry about trig identities with the exception of Sin(a-b) or cos(a-b) .A graph of a periodic function could be given to find the period and range
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

what.to.do wrote: »
    The thread is kind of like group therapy for all the Leaving Certs coming on to vent. :P

Epic brain fart! I just reread the post above Maniac's I'd initially thought it had said "Group Theory". :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Do all of the trig identities have to be proven using the unit circle and triangles or can they be proven using other identities? I am of course talking about all others barring Cos^2A + Sin^2A = 1 and the Cos(A+B), Sin(A+B) identities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement