Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA or ATI

Options
  • 10-06-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Building my first pc and wondering what graphics card i should get with a budget of around 120-140.Computer intended for gaming and just wondering which is better for the money paid ATI radeon hd or NVIDIA GTX series?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

nVidia pwns. ATI blow nVidia out of the water. ATI is for n00bs. nVidia are 1337.

Really, it varies so much from generation to generation that you can not compare one to the other. Both always have cards which are bad value, but both also have good cards at the moment now.

Key differences at the moment are 3D and hardware phsyX with nVidia and eyefinity (3+ monitors) with a single card with ATI. There's also further reasons such as folding, programming and support in other OSs.

At that price range, you would not be aiming for the luxuries of multiple monitors so it will hardly make a difference. GTX 460 and 6850 would be about that range.

Short answer: go with Skerries' card.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah, the 6850 for that price is a bargain, stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

The whole ATI Vs NVIDIA is the same as PS3 Vs Xbox 360. They do the same thing, so who really cares?
    Personally I've the HD 6850 and it's a great card. The reason I picked it was because pix had a good offer for it at the time. I'd probably still go with the 6850. But other users will swear by NVIDIA cards over ATI one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ATI are in the current driving seat for performance-to-value entry and mid-range cards, Nvidia top the unnecessary and high priced high end cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

Personally I do prefer ATI, not really sure why, my 4890 has served me well and just generally stick with what I know is good.

Anyway I real good deal IMO

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/ATI/ATI+6800+Series+/XFX+ATI+Radeon+HD+6870+1024MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+with+FREE+S.T.A.L.K.E.R%3A+Call+of+Pripyat+%26+Shogun+2+Games+?productId=44533

Not in stock at the minute, although it should be again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 40 powpow

Depending on your budget and use, the 560 ti overclocks like a champ and gives great value for money.

If you went with a 6950 2GB reference card you might be able to unlock it to a 6970 with a bios flash.

Something to look into, but there are some great bargains to be had with the current generation of cards!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That HD6850 just went up to €180!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Solitaire wrote: »
    That HD6850 just went up to €180!! :eek:

Was it on sale/special offer or something? disappointing thats it's gone back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it was around €123, the feckers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

A few of the 5850 extremes are back in stock, if you want to grab one while they are still around.

Advertisement