Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where buy judo dummy?

• 10-06-2011 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi there. I need a judo (grappling) dummy. Does anyone know of a shop, a website in Ireland that sell such thing? Thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

A friend of mine got a wrestling dummy a few months ago. i'll get the details of the site he bought it off. Bear in mind that the shipping may be expensive depending on what weight the dummy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 freedom fighter

Cheers, I'd be grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Blitz sell them. http://www.blitzsport.com/Disciplines/Judo-Dummies

Outside of demonstrating moves for kids classes, they're fair useless though.

Blitz sell them. http://www.blitzsport.com/Disciplines/Judo-Dummies

Thanks a lot

Outside of demonstrating moves for kids classes, they're fair useless though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jAyVu_xtqc&feature=related

Is there any better way to practise judo throws on your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Is there any better way to practise judo throws on your own?

There is little point practicing something that is not not realistic or for that
    matter incorrect as you are just learning to preform something the wrong way.

Does the dummy move or react at all like a human, is the weight distribution
    similar?

• Advertisement

Burnt wrote: »
    There is little point practicing something that is not not realistic or for that
    matter incorrect as you are just learning to preform something the wrong way.

Does the dummy move or react at all like a human, is the weight distribution
    similar?

yes, I realize that. So how to work on your technique without a partner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

You need a partner. If you are already proficient at the throws then there are drills you can use to add polish to your technique, but if you're a beginner then these things would more likely just mess everything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

To be blunt, there is very little direct technique work to be done with out a
    partner. However there is a lot you can do to maximise the usefulness of your
    contact time.

Improving fitness and strength outside of class time, will let you get the most
    from your time there. You can't think listen or learn effectively when you are
    tired, and you'll suffer less injuries.

You can inquire from your instructor about some drills on footwork, general mobility
    and kinesthesia. I found these sorts drill particularly use full for ground work.

Watch videos, read about technique and visualisation yourself preforming the
    techniques and breaking them down into component steps are also useful.
    Judo forum is an excellent source of information and also free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

FMS_pyramid_0-e1301065751929.jpg

Seen as you cant work on your skill outside of class you can work on your Functional Movement and Performance. Mobility and ROM in your joints is a good one to start with.

For example if you have tight calves you've automatically stunted your acceleration into a throw. Tight glutes your mobility in all ranges will be affected.

Alot of ppl over emphaise the strength training side of things when they are trying to make a quicker advance in the learning curve. Work more on movement and mobility than brute strength, and when you are in the gym work on strength endurance that your 1rm. You'll see better advances in your skill set then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

• Advertisement

Haven't forgotten about this OP but haven't seen the guy at training for the last few weeks. Will ask him when I do see him.

This is the site my friend got his dummy on

MMA Warehouse Grappling Dummies Page

They seem to be based in the states, so check out the shipping rates before ordering cos you could get a nasty surprise!

Advertisement