Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water leak

• 10-06-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Can anyone help me with this. There is a leak in my water pipe somewhere under my farmyard but I am unable to track it down except for digging up my concrete yard over which the pipe lies. Is there any technology out there which would detect this leak under the concrete. It is only a very small leak as the water pressure in taps and troughs is still strong but sill causing the pump in my well to almost run continuously.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

most group water scheme's have listening equipment, if you contact them and ask i'm sure they will help out. it worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we had a leak under the concrete too, we went at it during the week, a hateful job, it eas bubbling up at the joinings in the concrete, the actual leak was about 12 foot away from where we started digging.... took us a whole day to sort it out....have you a consaw and a back arm of a digger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

corkery wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with this. There is a leak in my water pipe somewhere under my farmyard but I am unable to track it down except for digging up my concrete yard over which the pipe lies. Is there any technology out there which would detect this leak under the concrete. It is only a very small leak as the water pressure in taps and troughs is still strong but sill causing the pump in my well to almost run continuously.

is it possible to disconnect the whole run of pipe and run a new length outside concrete and reconnect further on..it would be easier than digging for leak? pipe burst practically underneath the wall of my house last year, plummer had listening equipment but day was too windy he could hear nothing..had to dig, messy job im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I had the same problem a few years ago and rang the council. A guy came out with what looked like a screwdriver and listened to the pipe running and pointed out 2 places where it was leaking.
    We were metered though and on a public supply in a private group scheme. They would probably come out as water reserves in some parts of the country are low and it helps to stop the reserves running out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If you're running water pipe under concrete, run it in those yellow drainage pipes. That way you can just pull it through if it leaks. Just don't forget to tie (or tape ) a light rope to the other end to pull the new pipe back in.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pakalasa wrote: »
    If you're running water pipe under concrete, run it in those yellow drainage pipes. That way you can just pull it through if it leaks. Just don't forget to tie (or tape ) a light rope to the other end to pull the new pipe back in.;)
    thats a good idea, just a pity that they didnt have that idea 30 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Are you certain that the leak is under the concrete? Put a on/off connector on the pipe that exits the concrete and see if pump cycles as intended.

Check golden pages for leak detector - they usually work on a no leak no fee.

Could be the well is running dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkery

yes certain its under the concrete put a tap on pipe where before it goes into farm yard and when i turn it off pump works fine cutting in and out so have it narrowed it down to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

infra red camera like plumbers or ber guys use just walk over pipe when camera shows blue thats your leak:)

thanks for that but i reckon the leak is only a slight pinhole leak in the pipe will such equipment pick up such a small leak!! I know its only a small thing but its bugging me when I walk across the yard that there is a leak somewhere underneath me.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

it sure can thermal imagery thats the name its commonly used in houses for those exact same leaks a pinhle in ahouse is not good dont know how much it costs but a sound lad would surely do it for 70 or 80 euro still its cheaper tan a digger and aload of readymix any way diggers always seem to create more leaks:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

whelan1 wrote: »
    thats a good idea, just a pity that they didnt have that idea 30 years ago

they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

i dont think them machines are that accurate.
    my boss had a leak on his farm,it was running out of the ground about 70ft away and got the water board out and he pinpointed it to the corner of the shed.
    he told me if you put your ear to the ground you could actually hear the leak.
    i was sent one evening to dig it up:rolleyes: i couldnt hear the leak the rain was that heavy:(and started to kango up the ground.a couple of hours later i was under the wall of the shed,still no sign of pipe but could see water running,so moved to inside of shed and started there,
    another hour later eventually came across it 2ft or more inside the shed:eek:,so it was about 4ft away from where he pinpointed it was,and said because he could hear it,it wasnt that deep:mad:
    rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

is it possible to disconnect the whole run of pipe and run a new length outside concrete and reconnect further on..it would be easier than digging for leak?

This is a really great solution, speaking from bitter experience.

It also means that the pipe will be accessible for the NEXT leak!

LC

Originally Posted by vanderbadger viewpost.gif
    is it possible to disconnect the whole run of pipe and run a new length outside concrete and reconnect further on..it would be easier than digging for leak?

It is a good idea but its not just a single pipe going through the yard there are pipes joining out of it going to different troiughs in all the slatted sheds. I wish it was that easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 rocky bilboa

corkery wrote: »

are you sure pump is not the problem, could be waterlogged or have a faulty pressure switch,or if its a submersible the air pressure in tank could be low all of these would cause pump to cut in and out the whole time

Advertisement