Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 year old eucalyptus gunnii tree

Options
  • 11-06-2011 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone here could assist me, we have a thirty year old eucalyptus gunnii tree at my parents place.
    The last two cold winters seem to have taken their toll on it and it has not produced any leaves this year so far. I would hate to have to cut it down as it was planted the year my older sister was born and has had a prominent place in the garden. Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so could they offer me any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Scrape away a small bit of the bark on the trunk until you get down to the wood. If you come across some green and the wood feels moist - chances are the tree will re-grow. If you only come across brown stuff and the wood feels dry to the touch, then the outlook is not good. Check too at the base to see if there's any sign of shoots or suckers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's another thread or two on here about people who lost 30 year old eucalyptus trees - herself's father lost one, and a few other posters with trees that age lost theirs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Don Juan DeMagoo

slowburner wrote: »
    Scrape away a small bit of the bark on the trunk until you get down to the wood. If you come across some green and the wood feels moist - chances are the tree will re-grow. If you only come across brown stuff and the wood feels dry to the touch, then the outlook is not good. Check too at the base to see if there's any sign of shoots or suckers.

Cheers for your advice, just carried out that check just there a while ago. The wood feels very dry and bark is brownish dry to the touch
    I am sad to say it is dead and after closer inspection the actual main trunk is covered in what seems to be vertical cut marks where it seems to be starting to rot from the outside in.
    As it overhangs the road I will have to cut it down before it falls on the road.

So my final tongue in cheek question is, does eucalyptus gunnii make good fire wood? :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

So my final tongue in cheek question is, does eucalyptus gunnii make good fire wood? :(

Sorry to hear that, but it does make an exceedingly good firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi

We lost a 60+ year old Eucalyptus tree this year. Now when I look around all I can see are dead ones in peoples gardens appears age has little to do with ability to withstand the suffering they've gone through this last 2 years. But its not uncommon to have lost one this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭killaspec

I dont know much about the tree it self but was wondering if anyone would be kind enough in sparing a few fresh leaves of the tree. I am in Athlone and always on the look out for fresh leaves from the tree. I use the bark as well but get the dry stuff from another sauce fresh leaves are hard to come by as they dont travel well in the post.

Thanks for your time.

Matthew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Don Juan DeMagoo

killaspec wrote: »
    I dont know much about the tree it self but was wondering if anyone would be kind enough in sparing a few fresh leaves of the tree. I am in Athlone and always on the look out for fresh leaves from the tree. I use the bark as well but get the dry stuff from another sauce fresh leaves are hard to come by as they dont travel well in the post.

Thanks for your time.

Matthew

I shall keep an eye out for some for you, but alas I have none at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

I have plenty of leaves - but in West Clare! What do you use them for?

Advertisement