Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I phone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S II ????

Options
  • 11-06-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hey, I just hope Tom Dunne aint gonna crack up with this thread, Id say ye are sick of lookin at "what phone threads", I searched and got nothing useful. Im thinking of upgrading, Im wondering can ye guys and girls in the know point me in the right direction.

Iphone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S 2, I just want a smart phone....

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

was just looking into this myself..

from looking at online reviews people seem to prefer the S2.

Whats the most efficient way to but these phones? Vodafone or Three?? Bill pay or Prepay?? Decisons, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

how about getting a 40 Euro thing in Moore Street. Is it posible to root it? How cold I use my o2 number on it? (Thanks to any geeks who answer some of these!:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hey, I just hope Tom Dunne aint gonna crack up with this thread, Id say ye are sick of lookin at "what phone threads", I searched and got nothing useful. Im thinking of upgrading, Im wondering can ye guys and girls in the know point me in the right direction.

Iphone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S 2, I just want a smart phone....

Thanks guys

There is no contest here, the Galaxy s 2 is brand new and is a generation ahead. The iphone 4 is last years phone and has a 1.0Ghz single core, the Galaxy s 2 is this years phone and has a 1.2Ghz dual core.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    There is no contest here, the Galaxy s 2 is brand new and is a generation ahead. The iphone 4 is last years phone and has a 1.0Ghz single core, the Galaxy s 2 is this years phone and has a 1.2Ghz dual core.

The Galaxy2 is this months phone. The Apple app store is still light years ahead of the android market in terms of quality.
    It's back to the OSX V's Windows debate, you can have an all signing all dancing dell computer and a mac with will still eat it for breakfast.
    iPhone 4 is as snappy as any android including the S2. As for build quality, ease of use, the iphone wins hands down.
    Were only about 3mts off the iphone4.5 or 5. It won't be this years phone for long.

Ohh i nearly forgot iCloud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The sammy would be my choice out of them two. Although I don't like the build quality of Samsung phones. They seem a bit flimsy.

• Advertisement

The Galaxy2 is this months phone. The Apple app store is still light years ahead of the android market in terms of quality.
    It's back to the OSX V's Windows debate, you can have an all signing all dancing dell computer and a mac with will still eat it for breakfast.
    iPhone 4 is as snappy as any android including the S2. As for build quality, ease of use, the iphone wins hands down.
    Were only about 3mts off the iphone4.5 or 5. It won't be this years phone for long.

Ohh i nearly forgot iCloud!

Posted from my iPhone

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hey, I just hope Tom Dunne aint gonna crack up with this thread

What's it got to do with me? :D I haven't been a mod here for a long time.

Anyway, it is all back to the "ask a thousand people and you will get a thousand different answers".

So, the first question is what do you want to do with the phone?

Even by virtue of the fact you are asking, I don't think whether a phone is single core or dual core will matter to you.

So, what features are important to you? Do you want the closed environment of the Apple iPhone, where the OS is squeaky clean, buying songs, apps, movies and content is disturbingly easy and straightforward? Plus, there will probably be a new model towards the end of the year, making the iPhone 4 cheaper (or redundant, depending on your perspective).

Or, do you want the open nature of the Android phone where the operating system isn't quite as polished as Apple, but does the job, plus the Marketplace (where you buy apps) isn't (yet) as full as the Apple equivalent. Also, buying content is not as easy as with the iPhone.

Then of course there is the hardware specs - have a look at the Samsung website and the Apple website for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

And what do u use them ghz for?

iwo wrote: »
    And what do u use them ghz for?

Multitasking

The 2 phones will probably end up being of similar price, its a no-brainer to go for the iPhone 4 when its old tech and will be even older when Apple release the new iPhone which will be dual core.............Unless you're getting the iPhone 4 at an unbelievable price, but I doubt it.

Multitasking

The 2 phones will probably end up being of similar price, its a no-brainer to go for the iPhone 4 when its old tech and will be even older when Apple release the new iPhone which will be dual core.............Unless you're getting the iPhone 4 at an unbelievable price, but I doubt it.

Im asking as samsung already promised dual core 2ghz phone...what for?! This war is getting crazy...

• Advertisement

Im asking as samsung already promised dual core 2ghz phone...what for?! This war is getting crazy...

War, what war? Thats just technology, its always progressing and outdating itself, next year they'll be faster again

In this war where both samsung and HTC want to introduce greater processor and forgett about other things, there are bugs and issues with both sensation and gs2 as they didn't have time to properly test the phones. So, they are focused on marketing bit for idiots who care more about ghz on the phone rather than rest of it. Imagine situation where samsung or HTC release 1.3ghz all these clowns would go for 1.3 because it is "better/greater" processor...

In this war where both samsung and HTC want to introduce greater processor and forgett about other things, there are bugs and issues with both sensation and gs2 as they didn't have time to properly test the phones. So, they are focused on marketing bit for idiots who care more about ghz on the phone rather than rest of it. Imagine situation where samsung or HTC release 1.3ghz all these clowns would go for 1.3 because it is "better/greater" processor...

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify the iPhone 5 with a 1.0Ghz dual core :D
    Truth is, Apple release phones with many bugs and issues too, they all do.

Anyone I know with a Galaxy S2 is over the moon, despite any bugs it has

I am android man :)

bugs/issues i noticed and read on this and xda forum:

1. laggy screens with many widgets on them
    2. white pixel dot in left bottom corner when browsing in black background
    3. issues witn wifi connection - poor reception
    3. Battery problems
    4. pink spot on camera
    5. yellow screen on some devices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

i!

hahahahahaha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If you have to get a phone now, s2 no contest.

If you wait until september, maybe iphone5 depending on what type of user you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

If you have to get a phone now, s2 no contest.

If you wait until september, maybe iphone5 depending on what type of user you are.

The way I look at it is.Iphone 3 was last year, Then Iphone 4, Now Galaxy S2, Next Iphone what ever maybe.
    Maybe seems to be the operative word here. Maybe the next phone will be the ONE.Then again maybe not :D
    Technology is always advancing to the next level. If you need a phone now or you're a gadget fanatic like me :rolleyes: then the Galaxy S 2 seems to be the way to go. If you don't need a phone or a new contract then wait until the next Iphone.Maybe it will be better again.
    Its whatever you're happy with.Some swear that a Mac is way better then a PC with Windows.I recently used a Mac which nearly drove me nuts but then again I'm used to Windows all my life.
    Maybe I should change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

For right now, in this moment, the SGS II is the one to go for.
    In September with iOS 5, I will probably be going back to my iPhone4 and selling the SGS II. With the introduction of iOS 5 android will offer very little. Who the hell wants a USB drive to store some of your music when you can sore all of your data on iCloud? Notifications will be sorted, for once an for all, the lock screen made useful and there will be widgets for those who can't live without them.
    Im not 100% comfortable with an advertising company having all my details, tbh, so Im happy to be able to go back to iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Three seems to have the best deals but, as far as I can see, their coverage can be patchy.

For this reason, I've ordered a free Three SIM Card and will use this on pre-pay for 1-2 months. If the coverage is good, I'll get the latest phone at that point (or wait for a new model iPhone). Otherwise, I'll switch back to O2 or Vodafone - you don't want a 24 month contract with a network where coverage isn't optimal.

You could even get a meteor sim card as well to test it's coverage. Then, you'll be able to jump on the next iPhone deal immediately using whichever network offers the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

bd250110 wrote: »
    In September with iOS 5, I will probably be going back to my iPhone4 and selling the SGS II. With the introduction of iOS 5 android will offer very little. Who the hell wants a USB drive to store some of your music when you can sore all of your data on iCloud? Notifications will be sorted, for once an for all, the lock screen made useful and there will be widgets for those who can't live without them.
    Im not 100% comfortable with an advertising company having all my details, tbh, so Im happy to be able to go back to iOS.

Whats the Usb drive for ?

• Advertisement

Lets copy lots of Android and Google documents features and call it iOS 5

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think you're missing the point of having USB host enabled, storage is just the most basic use.

Fair point that Google/Android have a lot of the features of iOS 5 and iCloud, but not the seamless integration, if it works. It's nothing short of amazing that the very people who derided iOS for not having certain features now accuse Apple of copying. For me, iCloud and iTunes Air goes far beyond anything other manufacturers have implemented so far in terms of ease of use and convenience- if it works as Apple claim it will. One password, once, everything synced - across multiple devices and machines. No one else can offer anything like this at the moment.
    I think you're missing the point of having USB host enabled, storage is just the most basic use.

Well, what else would you use USB storage for, if not storing data?

Well, what else would you use USB storage for, if not storing data?

USB host, not storage. Keyboards, mice, game controllers, OBDII (car diagnostics), CD burners, the list goes on... there are plenty of potential applications.

iCloud isn't anything new, a lot of us have been using Dropbox for file storage for ages, and it doesn't care what platform you use, Mac, PC, Linux, Android, iOS....

Fair point that Google/Android have a lot of the features of iOS 5 and iCloud, but not the seamless integration, if it works. It's nothing short of amazing that the very people who derided iOS for not having certain features now accuse Apple of copying. For me, iCloud and iTunes Air goes far beyond anything other manufacturers have implemented so far in terms of ease of use and convenience- if it works as Apple claim it will. One password, once, everything synced - across multiple devices and machines. No one else can offer anything like this at the moment.

iTunes is the worst POS software you could ever put on a Windows PC and they force you use it. Its terrible, buggy and slow. Its codec support is dire. I can stream/transfer any format file to my Android phone and I'll find a player on the market that plays it, can't be said for iOS. Then there's sharing, I can allow my friend to copy my media files from my device, you can't share your stuff with iOS, it syncs to your iTunes only. I don't want syncing, I'll decide what I do with my device

There are hundreds of accessories out there that connect to an iPhone/iPad. iOS supports keyboards, etc via bluetooth. Any of the peripherals you suggest could be connected to an iOS device with the right hardware/software. CD burner? Really? What is this 2001?
    I don't want syncing, I'll decide what I do with my device

Thats fine. But there are those among us who do want syncing, actual, real, proper syncing, across all of our devices. I actually use my mac, iPad and iPhone to get things done, being able to edit, modify and forward/publish my documents (all of them) from any of my devices is huge - but that is just me. I want my data and personal data secure and protected, not under the prying eyes of a marketing company or any number of hackers/malware developers.

All that said, I still quite like my SGS II, there is nothing wrong with it, or Android. It does all that I want it to do, for now. If and when iCloud and iOS 5 are working properly I will go back as it will suit my personal needs better. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Peter Sweeney

I have used an iphone for the last year, loads of great features but the phone reception is not a good as the competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

galaxy s 2 would run rings around the iphone4 sure even a galaxy s would with a few tweaks :D

There are hundreds of accessories out there that connect to an iPhone/iPad. iOS supports keyboards, etc via bluetooth. Any of the peripherals you suggest could be connected to an iOS device with the right hardware/software. CD burner? Really? What is this 2001?

I made that one up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

I got the Galaxy 1 there last month so not exactly up with the times, t'is sweet though :o so by my reckonings and my reckonings are usually spot on...Galaxy 2 = Sweet x 2.

Samsung are great though, 50" Tv in living room, dvd recorder, cinema system, all Samsung aswell...updating laptop soon, think I might go....hmmm yea I suppose Samsung :D

Join us... ;)

Advertisement