Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I phone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S II ????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Having used both, I have to say iPhone 4 outshines by far.

The operating system, for starters, is way smoother than android, less bugs and offers a wide variety of tweaks.

As someone said earlier, if you have a Jailbroken iPhone, it is a very powerful phone to have.

The Android users on this forum can't construct an argument without resorting to "another fanboi" or "apple whore" idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

srsly78 wrote: »
    You don't get it. The point is that there are no android accessories, there are rather GENERIC accessories. Lauding platform-specific as an advantage is akin to punching yourself in the face and enjoying it.

Android users (tablets aside) can share chargers with Nokia and Blackberry and Windows Phone. Apple users can't.

Im still not really following you, I think you might be underling your own argument. Basically what you are saying is that no third party peripherals could ever possibly be of any use whatsoever. You are saying that having a range of devices that can use one set of these peripherals is a bad thing and that it is much better to have no accessories or peripherals. Those that do exist are unique to each specific handset.
    But that is all OK because Android can use MicroUSB and you can charge your phone round your mates, who would never let something so crippled, useless, widgetless as an iPod into their house. :confused:
    Classic case of "if [insert platform of choice] don't have it, it ain't no good and I wouldn't want it anyway"

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Having used both, I have to say iPhone 4 outshines by far.

The operating system, for starters, is way smoother than android, less bugs and offers a wide variety of tweaks.

As someone said earlier, if you have a Jailbroken iPhone, it is a very powerful phone to have.

The Android users on this forum can't construct an argument without resorting to "another fanboi" or "apple whore" idiocy.

I have neither an Iphone or an Android phone but I can see both sides of this argument.The Iphone is a powerful tool but only if its Jailbroken.Why doesn't it come that way ? If it did I doubt we'd be having this discussion.
    My partner has an Iphone & had it jailbroken by a friend. She said the difference was huge but she upgraded it through Itunes & of course lost the advantage of it being jailbroken. Its like Apple saying "Give us back our phone" I wouldn't buy an Iphone for that reason.Its like driving your car with one hand tied behind your back.
    I like the idea of being able to connect your phone to your pc by Usb cable & being able to drag & drop whatever you like onto it without the need to go through hoops as with iTunes.I can understand Apple's reason for doing as they do but I can't say i like it. I don't think i would need to do anything to an Android phone to do a simple thing like drag & drop.
    As i said I own neither an Apple or an Android so I have no allegiance to either. So I don't think I stand being accused as being a fanboi :D
    I'm just looking at this as an outsider as you might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If a platform doesn't support generic accessories, then "it ain't no good" and I wouldn't want it anyway.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I don't think i would need to do anything to an Android phone to do a simple thing like drag & drop.

You might be nastily surprised! The SGS II tries to make you use Kies or Kies Air, it does not just show up on the desktop like a normal USB until you go fiddling in the settings - but in fairness the functionality is there. At least you have the option to ignore Kies, if you don't like iTunes with iOS your SOL - or going down the jailbreak route - which 99% of people will never do.

srsly78 wrote:
    If a platform doesn't support generic accessories, then "it ain't no good" and I wouldn't want it anyway.
    Want to give an example of a generic accessory that does not work with an iOS device? Micro USB excepted (Probably debatable if that is an accessory - I would say a charger is a necessity!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I use the same cable to charge my galaxy s, the wives san francisco and my kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres advantages and disadvantages to the locked in (Apple) or the open (Android) approaches. You just have to decide which suits you better.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-usb-data-cable-for-ipad-10cm-length-81204

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I use the same cable to charge my galaxy s, the wives san francisco and my kindle.

I do agree, it is a fair point. Hopefully we will soon be beyond the need for cables for anything. Personally I am disappointed that companies seem to be prioritising 3D screens over inductive charging.
    Maybe we would't have this conversation if the damn things could get through the day! (although the iPhone 4 is about 10-15%% better for me), but thats a conversation for another day!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres advantages and disadvantages to the locked in (Apple) or the open (Android) approaches. You just have to decide which suits you better.

The End.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The End.

Or buy a Blackberry :P :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

The samsung galaxy 2 wins hands down, try watch a movie on both devices and you will see the difference, my flat mate had the iphone4 and the biggest apple fan you could meet and even he couldnt believe the difference.
    If you have any interested in watching media, videos, youtube etc then
    the galaxy is the best phone in town.

Faster phone, full multitasking, more memory, can use SD card for more space. can buy a spare battery if your abroad and cant locate a power point.
    The list goes on.

The galaxy is a very light phone even with the bigger screen as well compared to the iphone is i think is a huge advantage.

It not really a fair contest though as the iphone4 is a 2010 device and
    technology has moved on a lot since then. With athe iphone5 coming out in a few months you would be mad to even consider the iphone4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I have neither an Iphone or an Android phone but I can see both sides of this argument.The Iphone is a powerful tool but only if its Jailbroken.Why doesn't it come that way ? If it did I doubt we'd be having this discussion.
    My partner has an Iphone & had it jailbroken by a friend. She said the difference was huge but she upgraded it through Itunes & of course lost the advantage of it being jailbroken. Its like Apple saying "Give us back our phone" I wouldn't buy an Iphone for that reason.Its like driving your car with one hand tied behind your back.
    I like the idea of being able to connect your phone to your pc by Usb cable & being able to drag & drop whatever you like onto it without the need to go through hoops as with iTunes.I can understand Apple's reason for doing as they do but I can't say i like it. I don't think i would need to do anything to an Android phone to do a simple thing like drag & drop.
    As i said I own neither an Apple or an Android so I have no allegiance to either. So I don't think I stand being accused as being a fanboi :D
    I'm just looking at this as an outsider as you might say.

Even if you couldn't jailbreak it, the iPhone still outshines in terms of operating system, not to mention the make of the phone is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Terrible post from Apple advocate above. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees... The bit about "accessories" made me particularly laugh. Iphone uses proprietary ports, so only proprietary Apple stuff will work, which they charge a premium for. Android devices usually use open standards, Bluetooth, microUsb port, fullsize USB port on some tablets etc. They don't need special accessories, because STUFF JUST WORKS with them.

You should not have to pay extra for accessories, android users can all use each others charging cables (same as Nokias and Windows phone too). It's only poor Apple users that are still stuck in "proprietary land" and have to pay through the nose for "special cables". Iphone only added proper Bluetooth support in the last version I think, before that it was a special apple-only bluetooth (facepalm).

Some extra points: a jailbroken iPhone is a joke :) Most android has a hardware accelerated UI on top (HTC Sense or Touchwiz). Android is very easy to use, the only people that complain are people used to iOs. My Nexus S gets updates straight away. As you say "iphones UX is unmatched.... but it doesn't do as much as Android". Right...

And finally... *drumroll* The G1 (first android phone ever) can be found running the very latest version of Android. The very first iphone can be found in the bin.

I used to think like that, before I tried it.

iPhone's 30pin dock is one of the best and most versatile ports out there. It combines multiple standards and protocols, all in one port.

USB
    Firewire
    Video Out
    Audio Out
    Power

It's really good!

As for not being able to charge with a microUSB cable... you couldn't be more wrong. eBay is FULL of cheap microUSB chargers for the iPhone.

Like this...

OO4B16.jpg

MicroUSB AND 3.5mm Audio Out. Works like magic.

As for Bluetooth, yea BT goes unused, but frankly, I don't remember the last time I need to use Bluetooth. What for? Wi-Fi Direct will replace it anyway.

Can you show me a Galaxy S II car holder to which I can connect a 3.5mm audio cable, a USB cable and then mount the phone easily without having to connect and disconnect those ports on the phone itself each time I get into the car? You can't, there is none.

Here's one of many for the iPhone...

tomtom-iphone-car-kit.jpg

Just route the cables neatly in the car, and you won't have to touch them ever again, just mount the phone to the port, literally takes two seconds to mount and dismount.

Also, if Android is hardware accelerated, why is it still so laggy? Maybe it's cause it's a virtual machine environment?

The accessory world is made for iPhone, when it comes to accessories, there is simply no contest, iPhone is light years ahead of any Android phone.

Hilarious :D Congratulations you found a proprietary accessory that lets you use a generic accessory.

Car -> BT stereo -> don't need audio cable. Choose from any mounting kit, and any generic microusb<->cigarette lighter charge.

Life really is so much easier if you don't buy Apple.

I use bluetooth a bit, transferring things like music, photos, files, ringtones. Connection to car kit, and headset. I used to synch my PDA too.

I could live without it though.

Theres the problem of Android fragmentation, supplier not releasing updates for phones, or using non standard screen sizes, which means you loose a lot of apps, if the developers, also drops support.

No.

If you have any interested in watching media, videos, youtube etc then
    the galaxy is the best phone in town.

Faster phone, full multitasking, more memory, can use SD card for more space. can buy a spare battery if your abroad and cant locate a power point.
    The list goes on.
    Have to agree, the bigger screen and fuller colours are great. Some say the screen is lower resolution and this is a drawback. Can't say I notice a real difference resolution wise, to be honest, unless the phones are right next to each other.

Can someone please explain to me what the bloody hell this full multitasking is? I honestly cannot tell the difference between iOS and Android multi tasking. I believe the only difference is that iOS uses a whole host of dedicated multitasking API's which lets the App finish it's task in the background, auto save but still get push updates, whereas the droid Apps keep running in the background? As far as I can tell the difference is in the implementation, not the end user experience. Until someone comes up with a way to have multiple, active apps open on-screen at once it's still a case of "out of one app, into the other, back out and back in"
    Car -> BT stereo -> don't need audio cable. Choose from any mounting kit, and any generic microusb<->cigarette lighter charge.
    You should know that Apple considers cables the work of the devil, they love BT and WiFi solutions. iPhone happily streams music over BT (and track info with iOS5) it uses A2DP protocol.
    A generic iOS/iPos in-car charger is £1.79 from ebay, cheap as any micro USB version. Although what I have done is buy a 12V -> USB unit. I can plug in what ever I like then, cameras, SatNav, MicroUSB, 30-Pin Dock, just need to bring the cable with me, or keep it in the Glovebox. It's ideal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

CyberGhost wrote: »
    The accessory world is made for iPhone, when it comes to accessories, there is simply no contest, iPhone is light years ahead of any Android phone.

load of waffle its only because apple have had market share for so long with their iPod\iTouch\iPhone that lead to all these accessory's and its a market share which is dropping by the minute

there is no doubting the iPhone is a great smartphone but Android is catching up very fast and with the release of the Galaxy 2, Apple have got a real competitor, within a few years its projected that android phone will have a 50% market share while Apple will have 20%

so with those sheer weight of numbers and cheaper android handsets, users will become more and more familiar with Android over iOS no matter how much fan boys jump up and down.

I have an iPhone but going to sell it and get one of these shiny new toys as its a next gen phone and reading about the iPhone 5 its not really going to be a great leap forward over v4

So OP do you want a locked down older gen phone or a bit of freedom with next gen Android

Marketshare survey if anyone interested

Hilarious :D Congratulations you found a proprietary accessory that lets you use a generic accessory.

Life really is so much easier if you don't buy Apple.

Oh no, you went there...

Bluetooth !? BLUETOOTH!?

The quality is absolutely terrible with it, if you want and appreciate good sound quality physical connection is the way to go. And iPhone does it beautifully.

And yes, you can use a cigarette lighter and a microUSB cable, but it'll dangle all over the place and each time you get into your car you have to carefully look to connect the port correctly, then setup the urgghhh... the bluetooth connection. Takes lots of time.

OP, go with the iPhone, you won't regret it, I promise. Anybody that has ever used an iPhone and goes to Android ends up crawling back to the iPhone, like a bird on it's belly.

Imagine this, you're offered a Hyundai with GPS, heated mirrors, electric seats, etc... and a base model BMW. Would you really pick Hyundai?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Even if you couldn't jailbreak it, the iPhone still outshines in terms of operating system, not to mention the make of the phone is great.

Thats like saying "My car is better than yours because its a (whatever)"
    If you don't jailbreak the Iphone you are tied completely to Apple. Its either Itunes or nothing,surely that can't be right ? Thats like putting a speed restrictor on a Ferrari.It reminds me of the early DVD players which were all region restricted. Seems kind of old fashioned now.
    One of the other things I don't like about the iPhone is that if you get a dodgy battery you can't change it.I have had that problem with other phones but a simple battery replacement & you're up & running again.I suppose its part of our throw away society.

Can you load your own music,photos etc to the Iphone without going through iTunes or jail breaking ?

As to Android.I recently had a play with a friends HTC Desire HD I think it was called. This runs on Android (what version I don't know) .I found it slow & sluggish & it kept rebooting every so often. However the other day I had a look at the Samsung Galaxy S2 in a Carphone Warehouse shop. I though it was super.great screen with rich deep colours. I found it very easy to use with the menus etc very easy to navigate.This was running Android 2.3 Gingerbread which was superior in every way to whatever version my friend had in his Desire.

As to who makes the phone,it doesn't really matter to me as long as it does its job without to many restrictions.

Auvers wrote: »
    load of waffle its only because apple have had market share for so long with their iPod\iTouch\iPhone that lead to all these accessory's and its a market share which is dropping by the minute

there is no doubting the iPhone is a great smartphone but Android is catching up very fast and with the release of the Galaxy 2, Apple have got a real competitor, within a few years its projected that android phone will have a 50% market share while Apple will have 20%

so with those sheer weight of numbers and cheaper android handsets, users will become more and more familiar with Android over iOS no matter how much fan boys jump up and down.

I have an iPhone but going to sell it and get one of these shiny new toys as its a next gen phone and reading about the iPhone 5 its not really going to be a great leap forward over v4

So OP do you want a locked down older gen phone or a bit of freedom with next gen Android

Marketshare survey if anyone interested

PCs have a bigger market share than OS X, does not mean they offer a better experience.

Android will never catch up to Apple in terms of accessories and options for it, for a simple reason. There is one iPhone, and on the other end there are tons of Android devices with various shapes and sizes, with no standard.

An accessory has to be made specifically for one Android phone, and there is no Android phone that sells so much to warrant the investment.

Android is catching up. When it does, I'll might move to it, till then, why move to a "catching up" platform?

PCs have a bigger market share than OS X, does not mean they offer a better experience.

PCs have always offered a better experience for me, I pay a fraction of the price for the same spec as a gimped mac
    Android will never catch up to Apple in terms of accessories and options for it, for a simple reason. There is one iPhone, and on the other end there are tons of Android devices with various shapes and sizes, with no standard.
    An accessory has to be made specifically for one Android phone, and there is no Android phone that sells so much to warrant the investment.

Android phones use mini usb, I think you will find they will plug into most devices with a USB port
    Android is catching up. When it does, I'll might move to it, till then, why move to a "catching up" platform?

I think you will find they have caught up if you take off your Apple blinkers for a second

I think you will find they have caught up if you take off your Apple blinkers for a second

Tried Galaxy S II, definitely haven't caught up yet.

There isn't even a decent GPS app for Android. Navigon is terrible. No TomTom. And Google Maps uses data, although there are talks of Google updating it and full adding offline support this summer... but as I said, if they build it, I will come.

Android phones use mini usb, I think you will find they will plug into most devices with a USB port..

You're missing the point. Because the android devices are all different shapes and sizes, you can't make say a belt holder, or a battery sleeve that fits them all.

Theres nothing like Free OVI maps, for offline use for either AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You're missing the point. Because the android devices are all different shapes and sizes, you can't make say a belt holder, or a battery sleeve that fits them all.
    And almost every year dont Apple release a new design for the iPhone?

Theres nothing like Free OVI maps, for offline use for either AFAIK.

Agreed, Ovi Maps is fantastic.

Ovi Maps and N8's camera is all Nokia has at the moment.
    cookie1977 wrote: »

The port is the same.

The shape is almost the same. In fact, going by Apple's track record, they radically change the shape only every two years. 3G - 3GS, 4 - 4S.

And it's one phone for the whole year. Plus the accessory makers get the shape in earlier so they are prepared.

And iPhone users buy accessories.

cookie1977 wrote: »

1 vs 200?

• Advertisement

like a different model iPhone every year? I have a cradle that came with the iPhone1 and that didn't fit the iPhone 3GS, explain that one?

anyway what am I arguing about accessory's as I have had three different iPhones and never purchased one accessory for it, except a couple of cheap charger cables from China

Advertisement