Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I phone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S II ????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

There seems to be a lot of experts on the different os's & phones on here so heres a challenge for you. I'm not joking now I'm serious.
    I'm going to get a new smartphone soon. Convince me with logical argument as to what I should buy & why. No histrionics just plain simple cold facts.

Advantages & Disadvantages.

What my new phone must have.

Good Screen.

Street navigation.

Carry my music,photos & video.

Connectable to a PC for drag & drop of music,files etc.

Standard connection of head phones, Usb etc.I don't want to have to buy special cables.

Capable of viewing documents etc.

Take good photos & video.

Good Browser & E mail facilities.

Connect to my car Bluetooth.(Honda Accord)

Good storage (at least 8Gb).

Wi-Fi facilities.

Facility to increase storage/memory by adding sd cards or external usb/hard drives.

I want a phone & system which works out of the box.I don't mind a little fiddling but nothing too serious.I'm not into software development or anything like that.I don't think I've forgotten anything.

Any takers ?

Regards & Thanks to Everyone on here.Great forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Auvers wrote: »
    like a different model iPhone every year? I have a cradle that came with the iPhone1 and that didn't fit the iPhone 3GS, explain that one?

3 vs 300 - its doesn't need explaining.
    Auvers wrote: »
    anyway what am I arguing about accessory's as I have had three different iPhones and never purchased one accessory for it, except a couple of cheap charger cables from China

No one should want them if you don't? Its doesn't really work like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

amdaley28 wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of experts on the different os's & phones on here so heres a challenge for you. I'm not joking now I'm serious.
    I'm going to get a new smartphone soon. Convince me with logical argument as to what I should buy & why. No histrionics just plain simple cold facts.

Any takers ?

A laptop as you don't make calls or send texts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Good Screen.

Street navigation.

Standard connection of head phones, Usb etc.I don't want to have to buy special cables.

Wi-Fi facilities.

Facility to increase storage/memory by adding sd cards or external usb/hard drives.

I want a phone & system which works out of the box.I don't mind a little fiddling but nothing too serious.I'm not into software development or anything like that.I don't think I've forgotten anything.

Any takers ?

I think as a few of suggested here (and even you seemed to like the look of it) a samsung galaxy S 2 should suit your needs.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72478228

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

The SE ARC will do all those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

Techradar summed it up nicely as they put the Galaxy S2 to the top of the
    top 20 mobile phones in the world today. Note the iphone 4 dosnet even make the top 3.

Quick verdict

The Samsung Galaxy S2 is a phone we're excited to whip out in a pub and show off to our friends – it's the ultimate media mobile, the next generation in web browsing thanks to slick Flash integration, a very good replacement for a pocket camcorder and, goshdarnit, it makes calls pretty well too.

The Samsung Galaxy S II has not only set a new bar for smartphones in 2011; it's smashed the bar, recreated it in its own image and put it out of reach of the competition

Read more: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=21#ixzz1PLzC5WJw

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

omega666 wrote: »
    Techradar summed it up nicely as they put the Galaxy S2 to the top of the
    top 20 mobile phones in the world today. Note the iphone 4 dosnet even make the top 3.

iPhone 4 does fairly handily beat most of the list though, dosen't it? Bear in mind the phone has been out 12 months now, both the software and hardware on the SGS II is significantly newer. I would reassess iPhone 4 after iOS 5, I think the iPhone would be closer to the top.
    Not that it matters much, but iPhone (both the 3Gs and the 4) outsells everything on that list, bar the SGS II in Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Good Screen.

iPhone has slightly better resolution but screen is much smaller the GSII has richer colours and a huge screen.

Street navigation.

iPhone wins this for now

Carry my music,photos & video

Both phones are capable but the GSII can play more video formats out of the box

GSII phone hands down for drag and drop as iTunes is the spawn of the Devil

GSII charges from standard Mini USB, iPhone has it own connector

Both phones can do this equally apart from the smaller screen on the iPhone

SGII has a better camera

SGII can play flash, iPhone cant, both have email apps

Standard bluetooth on SGII, iPhone has a gimped bluetooth connection

Good storage (at least 8GB).

iPhone4 comes with minimum 16GB but not upgradable

GSII comes with 8GB

Wi-Fi facilities.

iPhone Wi-Fi is very good but read some bad reports on the GSII (don't really know until I get the GSII)

iPhone is not upgradable in anyway, GSII comes with a microSD slot up to 32GBs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

One small correction; GSII is 16gb.

One small correction; GSII is 16gb.

oh I though it was only 8GBs :cool:

I have a buyer for my iPhone cant wait to get the cash for it and purchase the Galaxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭omega666

bd250110 wrote: »
    iPhone 4 does fairly handily beat most of the list though, dosen't it? Bear in mind the phone has been out 12 months now, both the software and hardware on the SGS II is significantly newer. I would reassess iPhone 4 after iOS 5, I think the iPhone would be closer to the top.
    Not that it matters much, but iPhone (both the 3Gs and the 4) outsells everything on that list, bar the SGS II in Korea.

true it will be different when the iphone 5 comes out, but at the moment
    its not out so in a choice between the iphone 4 and SGS2 there is no contest.

the iphone does sells more but thats down to excellent brand marketing by Apple not down to it being the best phone available. Put an Apple badge on the back of the biggest dud ever, charge top prices and some people will still buy it.

the iphone does sells more but thats down to excellent brand marketing by Apple not down to it being the best phone available. Put an Apple badge on the back of the biggest dud ever, charge top prices and some people will still buy it.

I don't think what a lot of people say about "It's Apple, anyone will buy it" is true. Many people swore by Nokia or Motorola for years - look at them now, bad products don't sell.
    IT's not any one area of excellence that makes the iPhone great, it's one or two standout features like the design, ease of use/UI polish and the App store that make the phone shine, the rest is does about the same as everything else. iOS also had an advantage in that it pretty much created the smartphone, as we know it, it is the default benchmark. More than one person has commented that my SGS II looks like a big iPhone - accidental on Samsung's part? Hardly! As for charging top dollar, the SGS II is about the same price, although you do get mroe spec for your money, 2 cores, 1.2MH processor, 8MP Camera, S-AMOLED+.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Good Screen.

Street navigation.

Wi-Fi facilities.

Any takers ?

Listen,

Trash_of_the_Titans.jpg

If you want a reliable, pleasant and hassle free phone, with slight limitation that you will absolutely enjoy get an iPhone.

If you want to listen to crazy promises and spend most of your time on XDA forums, by all means, go with the Android...

TrashoftheTitans.jpg

CyberGhost wrote: »
    with slight limitation

funny guy

why don't you refute my answers to amdaley28?

instead of coming up with a smart arse reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can someone please explain to me what the bloody hell this full multitasking is?

Multitasking on the dual core Galaxy S2 makes it possible to keep one core concentrating on having something like having a gps app open while being able to minimise it to the background and use the other core for the functions of a phone, You can do this without any lag or slowdown, it will keep running when minimised. The iPhone handles background tasks differently, killing them after a certain amount of time.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/194350/apple_iphone_vs_android_multitasking_a_comparison.html
    This is why its pointless recommending a single core phone over a dual core one without even getting into an Apple v iOS argument
    There isn't even a decent GPS app for Android. Navigon is terrible. No TomTom. And Google Maps uses data, although there are talks of Google updating it and full adding offline support this summer... but as I said, if they build it, I will come.

Copilot is a fully fledged offline GPS, not free but then either is Tom Tom.
    true it will be different when the iphone 5 comes out

The iPhone 5 shouldn't come into it, we've not even seen a prototype or had confirmed details. Who knows what its gonna be like, all speculation for now.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Multitasking on the dual core Galaxy S2 makes it possible to keep one core concentrating on having something like having a gps app open while being able to minimise it to the background and use the other core for the functions of a phone, You can do this without any lag or slowdown, it will keep running when minimised. The iPhone handles background tasks differently, killing them after a certain amount of time.

I was under the impression that neither apps nor Android can effectively utilise the dual core?
    Im not 100% sure on what you say about the multitasking. Android effectively makes the app invisible to the user, lets it use "services" and "processes" in the background. Android suspends the app (and saves the state) when it detects is is no longer in use. iOS needs the App to use a permitted API - it's not being killed after a set period of time, it is being suspended once the task at hand has been completed. Like I say, it is not clear to me how the so called "full" multitasking is better. To my mind letting Apps run wild on a device with limited battery life is a pretty dumb idea, unless you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There was a bug in the kernel of some newly released android phones, but that should be fixed. Apps can use however many threads they like, most already do.

I was under the impression that neither apps nor Android can effectively utilise the dual core?

It just needs optimising on Android, apps don't care which core they run on, eventually they'll spread their load. Now there's dual core hardware it can only get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

true it will be different when the iphone 5 comes out, but at the moment
    its not out so in a choice between the iphone 4 and SGS2 there is no contest.

the iphone does sells more but thats down to excellent brand marketing by Apple not down to it being the best phone available. Put an Apple badge on the back of the biggest dud ever, charge top prices and some people will still buy it[/QUOTE].

It's true, Apple's agressive marketing policy has come up trumps big time, people are so gullible they will buy anything Apple believing it to be the best when in fact (as anyone who really knows about smartphones will testify) Android is far superior to Apple in almost every aspect,not hearsay but fact!!

I would never buy an iPhone simply because your so restricted and locked down to whatever Apple tell you, open source aka Android is the way to go, you can hack and customise and tweak your phone to max performance, there are are simply no limitations and the sky is the limit as it were,this is why Android has now overtaken over Apple in recent times, people are becoming more and more clued up and realising they can do so much more with their smartphones.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I would never buy an iPhone simply because your so restricted and locked down to whatever Apple tell you, open source aka Android is the way to go, you can hack and customise and tweak your phone to max performance, there are are simply no limitations and the sky is the limit as it were,this is why Android has now overtaken over Apple in recent times, people are becoming more and more clued up and realising they can do so much more with their smartphones.

Usual fanDroid drivel. Jailbreak an iPhone and you can do all sorts, including all of what you said.
    Again I ask, what it is your Android can do that an iPhone can't?

• Advertisement

Usual fanDroid drivel. Jailbreak an iPhone and you can do all sorts, including all of what you said.

Genuine question, I really don't know; what exactly does jailbreaking do and allow?

You have an Android, if you don't already see what these are, then you're not using it right and I'm convinced you must be a twelve o'clock flasher.
    http://digital.findtechnologynews.com/2011/05/24/12-things-android-can-do-that-the-iphone-cant/

Here's one thing Android users can't do...

Play audio in the background, open up a video in the browser, hit play and switch to another app, audio stops.

iPhone plays.

Very handy when you don't want to watch something, just listen to it.

The same with the YouTube app and pretty much most things. Background audio works beautifully on iOS.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You have an Android, if you don't already see what these are, then you're not using it right and I'm convinced you must be a twelve o'clock flasher.
    http://digital.findtechnologynews.com/2011/05/24/12-things-android-can-do-that-the-iphone-cant/

* Share Content Faster on Facebook and Twitter - iOS is much better at it.
    * Access Notifications Quickly and Easily - iOS 5 fixes that.
    * Stream All Your Music from the Cloud - iCloud
    * Place Widgets on Home Screens - And drain battery? Will probably be available in iOS 6
    * Use Built-in GPS Navigation - Uses and needs data, Android third party GPS apps don't come close to iPhone's ones.
    * Choose Your Own Keyboard - Why? iOS keyboard by far the best and the industry gold standard.
    * Tell Your Phone What to Do with Voice Actions - Should be available soon.
    * Use Your Phone as a USB Drive - I'll give you this one.
    * Google Voice Done Right - ? Viber, Skype WITH video, iMessage, etc... so many communication apps available.
    * Install Apps and More From Your Desktop Browser - Meh.
    * Get 3D Maps - Meh.
    * Copy Info from Chrome to Phone - Do you have Firefox Home? Firefox Home > Anything Android offers browser related, including Firefox for Android.

Here's one thing Android users can't do...

Play audio in the background, open up a video in the browser, hit play and switch to another app, audio stops.

iPhone plays.

Very handy when you don't want to watch something, just listen to it.

The same with the YouTube app and pretty much most things. Background audio works beautifully on iOS.

Works fine for me with power amp, minimizes to the notification bar. I can open any other app, browser etc, just tried

* Share Content Faster on Facebook and Twitter - iOS is much better at it. Wrong, Androids context menu is miles ahead, I can click on a photo and select gmail, email, share on picassa, share on facebook or share on twitter among many others. I told you earlier about my friend installing dropbox on iPhone and not getting the option to send files.
    * Access Notifications Quickly and Easily - iOS 5 fixes that. Copied from Android and not actually here and working yet
    * Stream All Your Music from the Cloud - iCloud Only whats bought on iTunes so pretty pointless
    * Place Widgets on Home Screens - And drain battery? Will probably be available in iOS 6 My battery life is fine, I can get 2 days with lots of widgets. On Android you get options to set their polling options.
    * Use Built-in GPS Navigation - Uses and needs data, Android third party GPS apps don't come close to iPhone's ones. I told you earlier about copilot, has everything fully fledged Tom Tom or Garmin has, even shows Banks and Garda stations, doesn't use data.
    * Choose Your Own Keyboard - Why? iOS keyboard by far the best and the industry gold standard. Wrong, Swype is miles better for me, but its down to choice, my wife likes Swiftkey, both are better at prediction than the default iOS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuP6AQPRpUg
    * Tell Your Phone What to Do with Voice Actions - Should be available soon. Eh? Never announced so you're sprouting more fanboi BS now.
    * Use Your Phone as a USB Drive - I'll give you this one. You've no choice
    * Google Voice Done Right - ? Viber, Skype WITH video, iMessage, etc... so many communication apps available. Google Talk works with video for me, I got the files on XDA. Viber is on the way but I've no interest
    * Install Apps and More From Your Desktop Browser - Meh. Makes life easier, I just click and it installs on my phone instantly
    * Get 3D Maps - Meh. Fancy gimmick, but it works and could make navigation in a city easier.
    * Copy Info from Chrome to Phone - Do you have Firefox Home? Firefox Home > Anything Android offers browser related, including Firefox for Android. Firefox for Android is slow and buggy, Firefox 4 on my pc is shíte, when they improve it I may go back using it, for now Chrome is better and faster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If you get an Android you'll be hanging out with the android users.
    They are the most smug condescending phone users in the world.
    You'll be required to spend your days sneering at people who don't have an android phone and calling them stupid sheep.
    It's the android law :pac:
    I did it when I was an android user.

I had an android phone for 18 months, HTC Hero, it was fine for a while.
    I ran custom roms, replaced sense with stock android, overclocked etc.
    Eventually I just wanted to use the phone, not tweak it all the time.
    There were stability issues, some due to the tweaking of course, like the phone app crashing when it rang sometimes, others were just the way android works like a rogue app in the background draining the battery after an hour or two from full!
    Widgets are fun for a few days, only one I kept using was the power control widget and the Beautiful Widgets clock.
    Bluetooth hardly ever worked in the early days, but was much more stable in 2.x.

But then dark days, the phone was almost a year old and better newer phones were out.
    Apps were written for the new phones and the poor Hero could barely run them.
    Angry birds which I had enjoyed on an old ipod touch came to Android and it was free!
    But on the hero it was a 3 seconds per frame slide show. :(
    The quality of Android apps tends to be pretty poor, linux nerds have never made good UI designers.

So while waiting and waiting for the SGS II and increasingly disillusioned by the Android world and not keen on the width of same screen size Desire HD, I decided to try the iphone 4, after all I was sneering at the iphone users without ever using one, hardly fair.

So far it's actually great and does everything I want, that is makes phone calls, plays music locally and streamed over 3G and browses the web and twitter.
    I also got copilot so I have a full offline sat nav.
    I have found no disadvantages in it's multitasking compared to Android.
    I can have copilot navigating a route and switch to twitter or make a call or take pictures, switch back and it's still navigating.
    I haven't bothered to jailbreak it because I haven't found anything I want it to do, that it can't do yet.
    Ohh I do miss the notifications, which is being fixed, and the way the android phone will vibrate when you make a call and it is answered.

I used to recommend Android phones to everyone but now I'd say get the iPhone it just works.
    Only exception is if you're a techie who wants to spend his time messing with the hardware and software all the time potentially at the cost of the phone actually working as a phone.
    If you salivate at the thought of shelling into your phone from your PC and running linux commands on it Android is for you.
    I guess the same as what CyberGhost said really.

If you do go with Android enjoy! The tweaking and fiddling with the inner workings is fun and educational, for a while anyway.
    It's a bit like running a linux desktop.
    Try to be more tolerant of other phones users though, the Android community seems to get more shrill and condescending about their superiority every day.

Ohh and keep an eye on WP7 it has a big update coming, it's slick if rather limited at the moment, but it has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

it runs on dual core phones:p
    i dont own a smartphone myself but if i was to buy one it would be an android apple are too locked down for me i'd prefer open source than locked down iOS.

Not having a go at apple here they do make some great products but their phones arn't one of their strong points ie. signal problems on the iphone4.

Lets hope that the iphone 5 brings alot more than 4 has!:cool:

I think a change in the design of the next iphone is much needed i'd get bored with the same look to a handset the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

jay93 wrote: »
    Not having a go at apple here they do make some great products but their phones arn't one of their strong points ie. signal problems on the iphone4.

Yeah all iPhones are garbage quality because one phone had a slight issue when it was held a certain way (an issue which was fixed). I had a Blackberry Storm before the 3GS and that had 1 million issues. The iPhone is light years ahead. I was recently on a transatlantic flight with a few friends and we got about 4 or 5 tech magazines for the journey, the 3 that had smart phone reviews all gave the iPhone 4 as the winner over the dual core Android overall, this is before iOS5 comes out. I have six cores in my pc, it doesn't mean I can run 6 programs at the same time equally, same applies for the dual core vs single core. The difference in performance on most apps would be unnoticable. The only downside to the 3GS is the completely crap battery and camera, which are both laughable.

• Advertisement

* Share Content Faster on Facebook and Twitter - iOS is much better at it.
    * Access Notifications Quickly and Easily - iOS 5 fixes that.
    * Stream All Your Music from the Cloud - iCloud
    * Place Widgets on Home Screens - And drain battery? Will probably be available in iOS 6
    * Use Built-in GPS Navigation - Uses and needs data, Android third party GPS apps don't come close to iPhone's ones.
    * Choose Your Own Keyboard - Why? iOS keyboard by far the best and the industry gold standard.
    * Tell Your Phone What to Do with Voice Actions - Should be available soon.
    * Use Your Phone as a USB Drive - I'll give you this one.
    * Google Voice Done Right - ? Viber, Skype WITH video, iMessage, etc... so many communication apps available.
    * Install Apps and More From Your Desktop Browser - Meh.
    * Get 3D Maps - Meh.
    * Copy Info from Chrome to Phone - Do you have Firefox Home? Firefox Home > Anything Android offers browser related, including Firefox for Android.

The Android share menu is hard to beat, it's one of the features that made me choose it over iOS. It allows apps to share information directly, something iOS will never allow.
    Google maps can now pre-cache map tiles, so doesn't necessarily need data.

Keyboards? iOS is a long way behind the likes of Swype.

I'm not a fanboy, I only discovered Android when the iTunes limitations put me off buying a 3GS, I would swap Android for the hardware and UI of iOS tomorrow, but not as it is now.

Advertisement