Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I phone 4 or Samsung Galaxy S II ????

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

bd250110 wrote: »
    I do agree, it is a fair point. Hopefully we will soon be beyond the need for cables for anything. Personally I am disappointed that companies seem to be prioritising 3D screens over inductive charging.
    Maybe we would't have this conversation if the damn things could get through the day! (although the iPhone 4 is about 10-15%% better for me), but thats a conversation for another day!

In my experience, inductive charging is way, way too slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

God the Apple fanboi's have it bad
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    Yeah all iPhones are garbage quality because one phone had a slight issue when it was held a certain way (an issue which was fixed).

...by giving people a free rubber band to put around their phone and making their phone display a higher signal level. I know people with iPhone 4's and they've said the signal can be poor at times.
    The iPhone is light years ahead. I was recently on a transatlantic flight with a few friends and we got about 4 or 5 tech magazines for the journey, the 3 that had smart phone reviews all gave the iPhone 4 as the winner over the dual core Android overall, this is before iOS5 comes out.

Ever wonder why? Its very hard to find a trustworthy review of any hardware these days, all online reviews are bought, Apple have a very efficient marketing team
    I have six cores in my pc, it doesn't mean I can run 6 programs at the same time equally, same applies for the dual core vs single core.

Then you're not using it right, I can run multiple programs with a 3 year old quad core. The argument that single core is on a par with dual core is pants on head stupid and shows what little knowledge you have on the subject. Ok I will admit Android has some optimising to do, but that will come now the hardware is here. Apple fanbois will be singing the praises of dual core processors in a few weeks, you'll be feeling foolish then.

The difference in performance on most apps would be unnoticable

We're not talking performances in single apps, but multiple apps, the beauty of dual core is that threads can be assigned to either core smoothening the load. Now the dual core hardware is here the apps will improve and get multi-threading. Remember the days of the single core pc, even netbooks get dual core these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

The Android share menu is hard to beat, it's one of the features that made me choose it over iOS. It allows apps to share information directly, something iOS will never allow.

Why wont iOS ever allow it? Have you seen Twitter integration in iOS 5? It's built right into the OS and is exactly what you are talking about. Sends tweets, tweets location, sends pictures straight to flikcr.

The thread is so full of fanDroid BS it's untrue. Of the list of 12 things iOS supposedly can't do, the truth is
    - Place Widgets on Home Screens - widgets will live in iOS5 notification centre
    - Use Your Phone as a USB Drive - Yeup, but as I have said before why have some of your stuff on your phone when you can access it all via iCloud?
    - Google Voice Done Right - that's up to Google, not Apple and still US only.
    - Install Apps and More From Your Desktop Browser - true. It's pretty useful actually. You can browse the iTunes App store on-line, but still have to purchase via iTunes - albeit wirelessly with iOS 5 .

Of that list of things there is literally nothing an iPhone can't do, thats without jailbreaking - which is a whole other argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

bd250110 wrote: »
    Why wont iOS ever allow it? Have you seen Twitter integration in iOS 5? It's built right into the OS and is exactly what you are talking about. Sends tweets, tweets location, sends pictures straight to flikcr.

That proves my point; instead of allowing apps to communicate with each other Apple stepped in and took over with their own process.
    Long press on files or text almost anywhere in Android and any apps that are registered to receive or process that content will be listed.
    Open your favourite camera app, take a picture, and then decide from a list of other installed apps what you want to do with it - editing, sending, uploading, dropbox, Twitter... whatever, you can even chain these 'shares' together.

For me personally (and that's what the entire iOS/Android debate should boil down to; personal choice), this is how I like to use my phone, beyond basic calls and texts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

im just woundering with all this talk about the icloud.

How does it work, i persume it would use your data allowance to stream
    movies, music when your out and about?
    If so unless your on an unlimited data plan(and even those have fair usuage) then how is that managable? Would it not cost a fortune?

Also what if your out of 3g network or no network at all, Will it even work? Will the stream be laggy etc.?

And most importantly a lot of people's collection of movies,music etc contain stuff that has not been bought legally is it safe to upload all this stuff to somewhere where you dont know who has access and see everything you have including all your personal stuff like photos etc...
    What if this is hacked, or entertainment companies are allowed acccess.

Not batting for either side, Just guinine questions..

For me personally (and that's what the entire iOS/Android debate should boil down to; personal choice), this is how I like to use my phone, beyond basic calls and texts etc.

Fair point. It's basically a different mindset and methodology at the end of the day. Like I say, I don't believe that Android is demonstrably better than iOS in any area of real significance. For me Android was a more compelling product before Apple pulled the finger out with iOS 4, later the mobile hotspot and laterally iOS 5 (if it works). The way I see it Apple are delivering a lot of what customers are asking for and/or complaining about with each revision, taking inspiration not from Android, but from the jailbreakers. A lot of iOS 5 is lifted straight from Cydia (Apple has started to being Jailbreak developers in house).

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I think as a few of suggested here (and even you seemed to like the look of it) a samsung galaxy S 2 should suit your needs.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72478228

Thank you for that cookie.i will check it out.
    Auvers wrote: »
    Good Screen.

iPhone has slightly better resolution but screen is much smaller the GSII has richer colours and a huge screen.

Street navigation.

iPhone wins this for now

Carry my music,photos & video

Both phones are capable but the GSII can play more video formats out of the box

Connectable to a PC for drag & drop of music,files etc.

GSII phone hands down for drag and drop as iTunes is the spawn of the Devil

Standard connection of head phones, Usb etc.I don't want to have to buy special cables.

GSII charges from standard Mini USB, iPhone has it own connector

Capable of viewing documents etc.

Both phones can do this equally apart from the smaller screen on the iPhone

Take good photos & video.

SGII has a better camera

Good Browser & E mail facilities.

SGII can play flash, iPhone cant, both have email apps

Connect to my car Bluetooth.(Honda Accord)

Standard bluetooth on SGII, iPhone has a gimped bluetooth connection

Good storage (at least 8GB).

iPhone4 comes with minimum 16GB but not upgradable

GSII comes with 8GB

Wi-Fi facilities.

iPhone Wi-Fi is very good but read some bad reports on the GSII (don't really know until I get the GSII)

Facility to increase storage/memory by adding sd cards or external usb/hard drives.

iPhone is not upgradable in anyway, GSII comes with a microSD slot up to 32GBs
    Thank you Auvers for that very comprehensive answer.Much obliged to you for taking the time.Its appreciated.
    CyberGhost wrote: »
    Listen,

Trash_of_the_Titans.jpg

If you want a reliable, pleasant and hassle free phone, with slight limitation that you will absolutely enjoy get an iPhone.

If you want to listen to crazy promises and spend most of your time on XDA forums, by all means, go with the Android...

TrashoftheTitans.jpg

Thank you CyberGhost for the cartoons but its really a phone I'm after.Never the less they are funny.
    Incidentally what are the slight limitations that you refer to above ?

If anyone else has suggestions I would be glad of the advice.I have also looked at Windows 7 phones as well but they didn't really do anything for me even though I have windows 6.1 in my own HTC.
    Thank you to those who replied to my questions.
    One comment I would make however. Maybe its par for the course but some posters are more intent in point scoring rather than discussing the pro's & con's of the Iphone vs Samsung Galaxy S 11.Don't get me wrong some of it is funny but I get the impression that some are hiding behind the inadequacies of their own particular system by slagging off the others ;)
    Again Thank you to those who replied.

im just woundering with all this talk about the icloud.

How does it work, i persume it would use your data allowance to stream
    movies, music when your out and about?

There are a few elements to iCloud and it is a bit confusing, so here goes, I hope it's clear!
    1) iCloud - this is pretty similar to MobileMe, as it currently exists. All your contacts, mail, calenders, iMessages, iDisc (Google Doc's equivalent), photos and videos live here. These are synced via WiFi or 3G to the iOS device (and PC/Mac) as changes are made.
    2) iTunes in the cloud. This is a download on demand service, not a streaming service. All of the music purchased in iTunes is there for download, on any of your devices. At the current time it is a music only service.
    3) iTunes Match - Due to licensing issues this is US only for now.For $25 a year all of the music you own is collated and made available to you from the iTunes store (in high quality DRM free format). If some/any/all of the music you already own (or have ripped) is not on iTunes servers, they will allow you to uploaded those tracks to the iTunes servers. Your entire music library will then be available for download at any time. Like iTunes in the cloud, it is a music only service presently.

For most users iCloud will not replace onboard storage for music and other media. What users will see (and this is probably where some of the confusion comes from) is that iTunes will sync with the iOS device via WiFI, when connected to the same WiFi network, for on-board music and media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Windows vs Mac all over again - why bother?

(hates anything with cloud in its name)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    God the Apple fanboi's have it bad I am far from an Apple fanboi, I hate Macs, iPads etc and give all my friends that have them grief, I just commented on the fact that the iPhone was a brick and was riddled with problems, when it is nothing of the sort. By the time I can upgrade comes around and there is a better phone on the market I will jump ship, but at the moment there isn't for my intended purposes. I don't hack windows or personalise my start up, as it holds no interest to me, so why would I bother on my phone?

...by giving people a free rubber band to put around their phone and making their phone display a higher signal level. I know people with iPhone 4's and they've said the signal can be poor at times. The signal can be poor on every phone at times, lots of factors involved, network, location etc, I've been around the World with mine and rarely have I had a signal issue, nice strawman though

Ever wonder why? Its very hard to find a trustworthy review of any hardware these days, all online reviews are bought, Apple have a very efficient marketing team That's great, then any review you don't agree with just say it is because the reviewer is corrupt, I tend to read around and try and look objectively at what they are trying to say pro's and con's

Then you're not using it right, I can run multiple programs with a 3 year old quad core. The argument that single core is on a par with dual core is pants on head stupid and shows what little knowledge you have on the subject. Ok I will admit Android has some optimising to do, but that will come now the hardware is here. Apple fanbois will be singing the praises of dual core processors in a few weeks, you'll be feeling foolish then. You misread what I said, I didn't say you couldn't multitask with multicore processors, i said each processor isn't assigned one item and runs it like it is one core i.e. a dual core processor isn't twice as fast as a single core. If 3 apps are running does a dual core crash? You could be running 2 apps and never use the 2nd core. So the single core isn't stone age technology on a phone it does just fine, maybe not as well as a multicore but not a million miles behind

We're not talking performances in single apps, but multiple apps, the beauty of dual core is that threads can be assigned to either core smoothening the load. Now the dual core hardware is here the apps will improve and get multi-threading. Remember the days of the single core pc, even netbooks get dual core these days. If you want to multi thread get the multicore phone, if you want a regular phone that does most things well get an iphone

All 12 year old girls will be devastated ............

All 12 year old girls will be devastated ............

Fail. Is this the thread you failed to quote?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056300388

Yeah, because nobody over the age of 12 goes to concerts or events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just got the GS2 and flogged my iPhone4 :cool:

delighted with it so far, but the best thing is *NO MORE ITUNES* just drag and drop, oh the relief

loving the codec support out of the box and I can watch RTE player, the OS is nice and smooth and just played a x264 TV show with no problems it also looked superb, defiantly a convert to Android freedom

Apple would have to come up with something groundbreaking to make me come back to their limited OS

Is all very bitter and bitchy lately!

As someone who has both the iphone4 and the SGS II I would say the following

SGS II
    + stunning screen, beautiful colour reproduction and size. It really is gorgeous. Notification pull down tray, its great to have all notifications in one place. Although notifications themselves can still be every bit as disruptive as iOS (but this is app specific). The power control widget in the notification screen - brilliant. The camera, it's lovely, takes great snaps. the phone is incredibly light and thin. launcherPro
    - not many. I dislike only seeing 6 recently used apps in the recent tray, more would be good for rapid switching. Not a huge fan of touchWiz, but easy to get rid of. widgets - meh, I don't get them. android Market lags far behind App store. Battery life could be better.the volume through the headset is far too low, the speaker is far too low, yet the alarm clock can wake the dead at 50% volume????

iPhone 4
    + beautiful screen, but a bit small next to the SGS II. Lovely design and build quality. Great back-up from apple, plays nice with iTunes, mobileMe, google services and my mac right out of the box. Realistic 2 day battery life. App store is great and it plays nice with enterprise WiFi networks, handles e-mails in a clearer way than any ADR I'd app I've found. Huge range of accessories and peripherals

- ? Frailty with glass construction (not that I've had a problem). Notifications are horrible, no option of widgets, small screen.

Despite what fandroids and fanboys will tell you, there is vey little in it, even as it stands. It really is personal preference, you will not be unhappy with either. Both will elate and frustrate.

Fail. Is this the thread you failed to quote?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056300388

Yeah, because nobody over the age of 12 goes to concerts or events.

Who over 12 goes to a gig to take pictures?
    Despite what fandroids and fanboys will tell you, there is vey little in it, even as it stands. It really is personal preference, you will not be unhappy with either. Both will elate and frustrate.

Couldn't have said it better.

Who over 12 goes to a gig to take pictures?

Thats not the point, blocking them at events is a nasty stunt but as usual Apple fans will just put up with it and even defend the action.

Thats not the point, blocking them at events is a nasty stunt but as usual Apple fans will just put up with it and even defend the action.

I said I am not an Apple fan, I go to gigs to hear the music and to see the band, not to take photos. Loads of shows, stand ups etc stop people taking pictures, go protest their gigs or stop your hating. If Nokia, Sony, Samsung etc did this as well I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

CyberGhost wrote: »

A jailbroken iPhone is VERY powerful.
    As someone said earlier, if you have a Jailbroken iPhone, it is a very powerful phone to have.

Genuine question, I really don't know; what exactly does jailbreaking do and allow?

Hi,
    What does jailbreaking do? I saw this question asked but I couldn't see an answer?
    Does it just mean you can use it like a USB stick for dragging and dropping or does it mean something more?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

It let's you instal non app store applications...I couldn't live without SBSettings, vlc, cydia and others type them in youtube to see what are they about...

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/why-jailbreak-iphone-4.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I think this piece of text sums up apple fanboys on this thread nicely :D

"iSheep - A follower of the Apple cult regardless of the usefulness or real worth of the product. Believes with without question the cult propaganda which installs the almost mythological belief that what they have just bought is the fastest or most user friendly product ever, only to be re-sold the same product, with a few minor tweaks, a few months later with the same rhetoric and complete disregard for reality. Easily mislead by their own egos and think they are being unique and innovative. Often wrong but convinced they are correct."

SGS2 is clearly the superior device. iOs is so old and outdated Apple had to result in copy and pasting the android notification UI in iOs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

I'm so proud of u, u just sum up millions of people in one minute. So many haters / trolls on iOS vs android "issue".... Just use whatever u want and shut up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Well, looking at the Specs, it seems that the Samsung Galaxy S II wins hands down.

That could all change before the end of the year with a potential new iPhone running iOS5.

Personally, I currently own an iPhone 3G so am pretty outdated. However, I don't want to sign up for an iPhone 4 and end up owning an outdated phone again by September.

I also don't want to move to Android just yet as I have quite a few paid apps on my iPhone.

Right now, I'm free-from contract for the past 3 weeks and have ported over from O2 to a ThreePay sim-card. I'm going to use this for the next 1-2 months to check coverage in my area and will see where things stand with regards to the next iPhone model before making my decision on what to upgrade to.

Advertisement