Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web development

• 11-06-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭

Does ait do a course in web development. Anyone do it here. whats it like

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You can do a BSc (Honours) in Software Design that branches out into either Web Development or Games Development. I few of my friends are doing it and they seem to enjoy it. The software lecturers here are very good as well and will help you with anything.

Here's some info on the course for you:
    http://www.ait.ie/aboutaitandathlone/courses/bschonsinsoftwaredesignwebdevelopment/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

I'm just finished my 3rd year in the web development course.
    It's a great course overall, I really enjoy it. I think it'll only get better with HTML5 becoming more mainstream.

Some subjects are a bit meh, but you'll get that with any course, and really that'll vary from person to person.

Either way, I'd highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

How hard or easy is it. Do you need too be good on computers and stuff.

Is there many jobs in this kind of area

I find it pretty easy.

You don't really have to be good at computers, but it helps. Really, if it's what you're interested in, I think you'll pick it up pretty easily.

One more thing to note, the course mainly focuses on the code behind websites as apposed to how to design a website (colours, layouts, usability, etc.). There is a little bit about design, but the vast majority is just how to write the code. Again, if you have the interest in design, you may just have a natural flare to it, if not, there's nothing stopping you learning design theory in your spare time or over the summer.

EDIT: Oops, missed your 3rd question. I'm not too sure really. But I think one of the great things about software development is that you can easily enough work for yourself. I develop webOS apps in my spare time, and before I started college I made money off Bebo apps. I haven't made much, but if you have a good enough idea, the potential is there.

Also, I think industries are starting to turn the web more than before. Moving desktop applications into web applications, which I've noticed myself in my work placement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

cena wrote: »
    How hard or easy is it. Do you need too be good on computers and stuff.

Is there many jobs in this kind of area
    Most jobs being created in Ireland at the moment are in the IT sector so the job prospects are much better than in other areas of interest. As popple said already a lot of desktop applications are being moved into web applications so the whole cloud computing thing is starting to become big and there are plenty of jobs being created here as a result. I've just finished a course in software engineering and I've already had a few interviews with companies (no luck yet but gotta keep trying!) so there are definitely plenty of IT jobs being created.

• Advertisement

Popple3 wrote: »
    I'm just finished my 3rd year in the web development course.
    It's a great course overall, I really enjoy it. I think it'll only get better with HTML5 becoming more mainstream.

Some subjects are a bit meh, but you'll get that with any course, and really that'll vary from person to person.

Either way, I'd highly recommend it.

Where did you do that course.

That software course is 4yrs in Ait. I didn't want too spend 4 yrs in college i'd be 30ish when I would finish.

I'm doing it in AIT. I still have my 4th year to do, however there is an option to finish after 3 years with an Ordinary Degree instead of an Honours Degree.

If you look at year 3 here you'll see there's two possible paths: http://www.ait.ie/engineering/deptofelectronicscomputersoftwareeng/courses/caocourses/bschonsinsoftwaredesignwebdevelopment/

Popple3 wrote: »
    I'm doing it in AIT. I still have my 4th year to do, however there is an option to finish after 3 years with an Ordinary Degree instead of an Honours Degree.

If you look at year 3 here you'll see there's two possible paths: http://www.ait.ie/engineering/deptofelectronicscomputersoftwareeng/courses/caocourses/bschonsinsoftwaredesignwebdevelopment/

Is there a big differences in the Ordinary degree than the honours.
    Also what is the maths like there not my strongest subject.

With the ordinary degree, you lose out work placement, and only have one semester for your project as apposed to two. Some subjects are omitted from the ordinary degree, but nothing you couldn't try learning at home really.

Maths has been my weakest subject during the course, but if you keep at it, you will get through it. I know some of the lads struggled more than me, but stuck their heads down and got through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Milanmio

anyone here that can compare gmit and ait soft dev courses?

• Advertisement

Milanmio wrote: »
    anyone here that can compare gmit and ait soft dev courses?

I doubt it, nobody has finished the current AIT software dev course (my year will be first to do so next year)

mhm, I was just asking cos there is not work placement in Galway so if its worth it to go to Athlone.thanks for answer

I've just finished the work placement for the course, and I have to say it's been awesome. I'd highly recommend it. Getting some real world hands on experience is brilliant

thanks I think I'm going to swap galway nightlife for this.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

I looked at the first year timetable for the course. It seems like there's a lot of maths involved? I'm a bit worried about that part.

Posada wrote: »
    I looked at the first year timetable for the course. It seems like there's a lot of maths involved? I'm a bit worried about that part.
    In first year, the class is divided into two. There's 4 hours of maths a week. That's what it was for me anyway. It's not too hard of you keep up to date and go to class regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

thanks. do you guys use Macs or PC's?

The computers in the labs are all Windows, and you will need windows for some parts of the course (C#, ASP), but for everything else, I happily used my MacBook without issue.

Advertisement