Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chewing Hamster

• 11-06-2011 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

Hi, If i was you i'd change the cage, you can get some lovely ones with no bars, we just ordered a new one of zooplus, were getting one of the wooden ones, they look great with plenty of room to play, and ladders, platforms, seesaw, slide and best of all no bars, we also bought the wooden silent spinner for his wheel which i would highly recommend, no more wheel spining noisy in the middle of the night, hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They like novelty, so I would move things around in the cage occasionally, and get more toys so you can rotate them. A bigger cage would also help - something like the Hamster Heaven from Savic, which is available on Zooplus. Most hamster wheels that come with the cage are way too small and can strain the hammy's back. I'd get a bigger cage that can accommodate a large Wodent Wheel, and your hammy will be much happier. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

get like a piece of metal and put it in the cage something like a number punch or letter punch that ya would hit with a hammer to stamp your name. he can grind his teeth on that all day and deffo get as big a cage as possible with loads of entertainment. do zoo plus sell little flat screen tv s:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Hamsters chew - it's just what they do I'm afraid.
    Nothing to do with boredom or anything else - they just like it!
    I do recommend having some kind of chewable toy in there though, purely to keep their nails/ teeth in check. Something like one of those wooden huts etc.
    Even if they have that, they will still chew their bars though.

Good luck with your hammie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've used those type of cages in the past and nothing you do will stop him chewing the bars it is partly boredom, in the wild Hamsters would of walked miles every night so they need a lot to keep them busy, they'll obviously also chew the bars just because the bars are there to chew.

I'd switch to a tank style cage, you can get second hand fish tanks fairly cheaply and then just make a heavy timber and wire lid for it that way they can dig away. I used Habitrail (the old ones with newer bits added on, the origional Habitrail was much bigger than the one available now) and found it over all the best for hamsters eventhough sellotape was needed to reinforce the tubes any hammy that lived in it was very happy because you can add on and add on and move stuff around. I just loved them.

The main issue I have though with wire cages, although you can get large ones now, is that hammys can damage their teeth with constant chewing. Their teeth are pretty tough but metal can be very wearing.

zooplus is great for little hammy houses, just be careful with some of the wooden houses with the windows, I had one for gerbils and they chewed the little bits of timber out of the window, then climbed through the window and got stuck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement