Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are Your Favourite Metal Albums of The Year so Far?

Options
  • 11-06-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

2011 has actually been quite a good year for me, and usaully if I hear six to eight incredible albums in a year, I regard it as a very good year. These particular albums really stood out for me so far:

Amorphis - The Beginning of Times
    Primordial - Redemption At The Puritans Hand
    Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
    Spetic Flesh - The Great Mass
    Demonaz - March Of The Norse Warriors
    Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions

It may not be much albums, but they are the only albums that have really blown me away this year. I'm also really looking forward to Moonspell's new album as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Hands down Primordial.

/thread :)

(& do you mean 2011 btw?)

EDIT: just looking at my winamp & iv very very few albums from this year so far. I was loving the new Lazarus A.D. album for a bit but at the end of the day it was coming down to a couple of tracks that where clicking with me. I expect to enjoy Hell - Human Remains, but havent had the time to digest it yet.

I'm really really looking forward to see what the new Warbringer album brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Well it's June already and the only new release Ive bought and enjoyed is :

Black Country Communion : 2

Does that make it "Album of the Year" ? ... probably not but so far I think it's been a pretty crappy year for new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Burzum - FAllen
    Altar of Plagues - Mammal
    Tombs - The Path of Totality
    Blut aus Nord -777 - Sect(s)
    Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

BetweenTheBuriedAndMe-TheParallax.jpg
    This+Will+Destroy+You-Tunnel+Blanket-2011-FNT.jpg
    Explosions-In-The-Sky-Take-Care-Take-Care-Take-Care.jpg

(BTBAM for the lyrics)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

So far my favourite has been Passion from Anaal Nathrakh. There hasn't really been too much I've listened to thoroughly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I was thinking earlier about how few new albums i'v listened to this year. So far probably Passion by Anaal Nathrakh aswell or Edge of the Earth by Sylosis.
    I think the Black Dahlia Murder one is going to super when it's released aswell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I was thinking earlier about how few new albums i'v listened to this year. So far probably Passion by Anaal Nathrakh aswell or Edge of the Earth by Sylosis.
    I think the Black Dahlia Murder one is going to super when it's released aswell.
    Oh I forgot about Sylosis, that was a good album, and a great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

RayCon wrote: »
    Well it's June already and the only new release Ive bought and enjoyed is :

Black Country Communion : 2

Does that make it "Album of the Year" ? ... probably not but so far I think it's been a pretty crappy year for new releases.

Just copped this is METAL album of the year thread, not ROCK/METAL ...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I think I've heard more new albums by now than I did for all of last year (such is the nature of reviewing I suppose)
    I declare this year to be the year of grindcore with soo many class releases, my favourites being:
    Owen Hart - Earth Control
    Graf Orlock - Doombox
    Wormrot - Dirge
    Noisear - Subvert The Dominant Paradigm
    Maruta - Forward Into Regression
    Anaal Nathrakh - Passion (borderline I know but I'm counting them as grindcore)
    Rotten Sound - Cursed
    Agoraphobic Nosebleed/Despise You Split

and the rest:
    Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction (love Ghost too but you kinda have to be in the right mood for it)
    Iceage - New Brigade
    Ken Mode - Venerable
    LAMP - Sagittarius (quality Irish prog metal that you can dl for free from their bandcamp)
    Weekend Nachos - Worthless
    40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room
    Primordial - Redemption At The Puritan's Hand
    ****ed Up - David Comes To Life
    Goes Cube - In Tides And Deserts
    Greyceon - All We Destroy
    American Heritage - Sedentary

considering we still have albums from the likes of Brutal Truth, Opeth, Machine ****ing Head, Mastodon, Lamb Of God, Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, Clutch, Gaza, Gojira, Primus, Rush, and possibly Neurosis, I think it's safe to say 2011 is going to **** 2010 in it's mediocre ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Has to be In solitude - The world.The Flesh.The Devil.

An absolute classic in my view. Particular highlight is 'To her darkness'. The song has as many riffs as a lot of albums in their entirety. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

anaalpassion.jpg

AMON%2BAMARTH%2528New%2BCD%2B2011%2529Resize_with_shadow_resize.jpg

1303626845_1303606649817.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Altar of Plagues - Mammal
    Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
    Wormrot - Dirge
    SepticFlesh - The Great Mass
    Blut Aus Nord - 777 Sect(s)
    Rotten Sound - Cursed
    Anaal Nathrakh - Passion
    Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction/Ghost

And one's that haven't been mentioned yet:
    Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All (its really does destroy all)

Necros Christos - Doom of the Occult

Benighted - Asylum Cave

Nader Sadek - In the Flesh (f*ck the new Morbid Angel)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 guitarfan

Definitely Black Dahlia Murder's latest. It's streaming now on MSN.

I only just discovered Cannabis Corpse's "Tube of the Resinated", and I've been listening to that non-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Set_The_World_On_Fire.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The Refraction album. It's about the only strictly metal album i own from this year. It's good though.

Set_The_World_On_Fire.JPG
    ...guh? That looks so very awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

+1 for Anaal Nathrakh. Brilliant album.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Jaysus, no mention of Pentagram's Last Rites or Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus? Also, I believe the Atomic Bitchwax and Primus are set to release this year! Most metal from 2011 is dreadful though, need these classic bands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 guitarfan

Jaysus, no mention of Pentagram's Last Rites or Morbid Angel's Illud Divinum Insanus? Also, I believe the Atomic Bitchwax and Primus are set to release this year! Most metal from 2011 is dreadful though, need these classic bands!

There's a reason no one has mentioned Morbid Angel's latest. Namely, they've heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Is Origins' album Entity out yet? Then.............Origin - Entity. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire
    In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading
    Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (that might be pushing it, but Dave does do a bit of screaming)

All fantastic records, and plenty still to look forward to: Enter Shikari, Dream Theater, Opeth...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Scar Symmetry - The Unseen
    In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading
    Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (that might be pushing it, but Dave does do a bit of screaming)

All fantastic records, and plenty still to look forward to: Enter Shikari, Dream Theater, Opeth...

Very good choices, and some fantastic albums there like In Flames and Amorphis, but I don't think that the Foo Fighters can be classed as metal.;)
    Vudgie wrote: »
    Has to be In solitude - The world.The Flesh.The Devil.

An absolute classic in my view. Particular highlight is 'To her darkness'. The song has as many riffs as a lot of albums in their entirety. Love it.

Just heard that album only recently and it's class. Definitely a highlight of 2011 for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Anvil - Juggernaut of Justice
    Black Stone Cherry - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (If It Counts as Metal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've only bought 3 new releases so far this year, so what I post may have to be revised by years end.

220px-Amon_Amarth_Surtur_Rising_album_cover.jpg

220px-Album-cover.jpg

220px-RelentlessCover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I don't think that the Foo Fighters can be classed as metal.;)

Pity! :o

Nightwish wrote: »
    I've only bought 3 new releases so far this year, so what I post may have to be revised by years end.

Great albums. I think that may be one of Within Temptation's best albums of this decade so far. Couldn't really get into that particular Children of Bodom album though, it does have a couple some great songs.
    Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Pity! :o

They are a good band though, but my favourite album will always be 'The Colour And The Shape'.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Can't believe I didn't post this.
    Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations

One of the most atmospheric albums I've ever come across, so eerie and gothic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Great albums. I think that may be one of Within Temptation's best albums of this decade so far. Couldn't really get into that particular Children of Bodom album though, it does have a couple some great songs.

You're right CoB's album is poor in comparison to Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder. Replacing it with this very fine album which I got on download a few weeks ago. Really want the hard copy now!

mayan.quarterpast.jpg?x=330&y=330

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Been an ok year thus far in my humble with a couple of standout albums.

As good as anything they have ever produced imo.

to-hell-with-god.jpg

I will admit to being a bit of a Max fanboy but I really thought this was a great little album.
    Cavalera-Conspiracy-Blunt-Force-Trauma-%2528Special-Edition%2529-%2528CD%252BDVD%2529.jpg

These guys just get better and better.
    HateEternal_PhoenixAmongst.jpg

• Advertisement

I also discovered these fantastic albums very very recently.

Blood Ceremony
    - Living With The Ancients
    In Solitude - The World, The Flesh, The Devil
    Omnium Gatherum - New World of Shadows

Advertisement